頭像
CarmenTao
YOYO member
文章: 94
註冊時間: 週四 6月 19, 2008 9:51 am
來自: 內湖

TOEFL iBT

文章 CarmenTao »

I took a practice exam of TOEFL iBT weeks ago. To be honest, I felt so frustrated that day. I got a fine score of TOEFL CBT 5 years ago without any preparation, but the iBT exam is totally different. It is not only a language exam but also a test of our organization ability.

First of all, you have to know how to take notes efficiently and control the time you organize your thoughts and speak them out. It is never good if you finish your speech long before the time is up. It is even worse if you have not reached a conclusion when the 45 seconds are all out.

Actually it is understandable why they want to replace CBT with iBT. They do not want to recruit students who read and write ok but cannot convey any information correctly verbally. The transformation is definitely needed.

Additionally, I think it is necessary to know the exam rules beforehand. We do not have any short cuts to being any linguistic expert within just one day, but the unfamiliarity with the rules could make you panic during the exam and therefore affect your exam results.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: TOEFL iBT

文章 Rock »

That's true. This exam is not an easy one. Now ESL students need more exercises on listening and speaking. But I think you will amaze us again in your real exam again. No problem. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

文章 chiron »

I took the exam few months ago, too. I heard that they cancel grammatical questions from the exam for oriental students good at grammar and getting high score on traditional TOEFL can't adapt themselves well abroad. So, they replace those questions with a lot concet-typed questions. And it's really hard, even those coming back from abroad feel frustrated after taking it.
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

HI, Chiron, my handsome junior,

Long time no see. So how do you think about the exam? Was it difficult for you?
I'm going to take it this February. After heard so much of the "difficult" things from Carmen, I just cannot face it and cannot focus on the preparation. The five grands willl be a waste. Shoot!
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

A good TOEFL test should reflect the real course work of graduate school.
The original TOEFL probably fails to live up to that standard.
Graduate school do not like to fail too many foreign students if they can help it.
But they too have a standard to upheld.
Graduate students from Asia have the reputation of not willing to participate in discussions.
Still, some how they still manage to graduate.
Which means they have find a way to beat the system.
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Absolutely! Just don't know if it's a good thing or not for them to find the "way" and get passed. Besides, for people who major in science or fine arts, maybe English is not that important. Maybe their own "language" matters more.

TOFEL also evolves with the development of technology. It's quite impossible to find a way to check the speaking part if computer and internet were not this good. Talking about speaking, it's so not fair for students from non-English speaking countries. We will never be a match to countries like Singapore or Hongkong, or India. This is another form of "城鄉差距"?

How do you say that in English? The difference between city and the country?
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

Rock 寫:Absolutely! Just don't know if it's a good thing or not for them to find the "way" and get passed. Besides, for people who major in science or fine arts, maybe English is not that important. Maybe their own "language" matters more.

TOFEL also evolves with the development of technology. It's quite impossible to find a way to check the speaking part if computer and internet were not this good. Talking about speaking, it's so not fair for students from non-English speaking countries. We will never be a match to countries like Singapore or Hongkong, or India. This is another form of "城鄉差距"?

How do you say that in English? The difference between city and the country?
There's always on going discussion on inequalities among school districts through out the United States.
But, inequality may not be the only problem.
Some school districts just aren't very efficient
The most notable case is the case of Washington DC
The superintendent of Washington DC, Michelle Rhee is a Korean American lady
If you interested in freshen up your English concerning education here is a good place to start.
(There are more than a few episodes to this story)

頭像
CarmenTao
YOYO member

文章 CarmenTao »

Wow! There are so many replies!
Well, I forgot to mention part one of the writing test. You have to compare what you hear and what you read and then make a summary. When you start writing, you still can refer to the article, but you cannot refer to what you just hear anymore. When it's over, it's over. Taking notes efficiently and correctly is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo important. Oh My God! I'm gonna take a real TOEFL in March. I'm so scared. This is gonna be a big year for me...... I'm also having an audition in February for a choir performance in Macau.... and March the TOEFL and June.....(a secret exam)....and second half of this year or early next year....... (another secret exam, but the most important in my life)...

Overwhelmed Carmen
:cccry: :ccry:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Stop that. You're scaring us. We are like some zombies doing nothing compare with you. Hey, but with a second thought, maybe being a zombie is good in some ways. It will not feel so bad about failures. :lol:
頭像
CarmenTao
YOYO member

文章 CarmenTao »

Hey! Teacher Rock,
Don't worry! I have faith in you! You have been working on this so hard and will do a good job definitely!
頭像
Andy
Vice President
文章: 116
註冊時間: 週五 12月 17, 2004 4:36 pm
來自: Taipei

文章 Andy »

I have just known the result of my TOEFL-iBT of January 10, 2009. Although the score is not very high, it is at least above the minimum required for the admission consideration.

I am really happy that I got 28 in the listening section. However, I did not do very well in the speaking section. Maybe, it implies that I should attend YOYO's meetings more often this year. :)
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

An exam like TOEFL is design to measure more than just test taking skill.
That is to say that no one is suppose to improve their score dramatically in just a short amount of time.
Perhaps the best way to study for TOEFL is not to study for TOEFL directly.

Proficiency in college level discourse takes more than a few years to develop.
It isn't easy, but apparently it isn't impossible for some ambitious Taiwanese students.
The tried and true method is...
The more you expose yourself to college level content, the more your TOEFL score will improve.

There are lots of college level content on Youtube.
I like this one from the Univeristy of California.

http://www.youtube.com/user/uctelevision
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1483
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Wayne always provide us with fruitful information. That's great! :sssmile:

(I think the first thing I need to do for the Year of Ox is to get my speaker repaired... :sickness: )
頭像
linguistin
文章: 4
註冊時間: 週六 1月 31, 2009 8:23 pm
聯繫:

文章 linguistin »

I took TOEFL iBT once, though it was two years ago, I still hope this "long time ago" experience could do you a little favor.

Reading:
This part is all about your reading skill, how fast you can read and then answer all the question. For those who cannot read very fast (I'm one of them), try to train yourself "read the questions first", which could save time going back and forth between the questions and the paragraph.

Tip: I believe that there are some books which focus on "Reading Comprehension". At least one paragraph a day and it really helps. Or you could read one English news (again, at least one a day). If these news are difficult for you, you could start with short ones.

Listening and Speaking:
The important points in these two sections are, firstly, your listening comprehension, how fast you could organize your thoughts and then express yourself in English (the last part is for speaking section, of course).

Your regular discussion is always a wonderful chance to practice these two. The more active you participate in the discussion, the more you benefit yourself from that.

Writing:
Well, I believe that this might be the hardest one to practice. But, how about setting up another section in this forum for writing exercise? Those who want to practice their writing skill could post their short paragraph or article and all of the members could discuss online how to make the paragraph or article become better (I might give my humble opinions when I have time).

But...since it takes hours to finish this exam, HAVING ENOUGH SLEEP is absolutely necessary and important!!!!!!

PS. BBC Learning English website also provides pretty good materials for English learning and you might take a look if you're interested in that: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

One of the most interesting aspect of studying abroad is that one can be so good at knowing his or her own specialized field of study and yet unable to carry a normal casual conversation. More than once I have heard native American students mentioning this phenomenon of their professor or graduate teaching assistant from China. It is hard to believe that casual conversation is more difficult than those hard to digest graduate school research materials.
回覆文章