What's wrong with the following context?

回覆文章
Georgia
YOYO member
文章: 480
註冊時間: 週三 11月 07, 2007 11:49 pm

What's wrong with the following context?

文章 Georgia »

A: When do you have dinner?
B: We have dinner in the evening.

------
Please feel free to examine in any aspect.
I'll post the answer in three days.
頭像
Jacky566
YOYO member
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週二 5月 27, 2008 4:44 pm
聯繫:

Re: What's wrong with the following context?

文章 Jacky566 »

What time do you have dinner?
or
When did you have dinner ?

我用猜的 :)
等答案......
Georgia
YOYO member
文章: 480
註冊時間: 週三 11月 07, 2007 11:49 pm

文章 Georgia »

no..... but still a good start :wink:
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

For me, there is nothing wrong with the context. :?

For example, I can imagine that A is an alien, and B is an earthman. The alien is curious about the way of life on earth, so he ask that, in general, what time an earthman would have dinner. The earthman answers him that the time we have dinner is evening.
頭像
David Jr.
Vice President
文章: 257
註冊時間: 週二 8月 19, 2003 12:07 am
來自: Lonely Planet
聯繫:

文章 David Jr. »

check the following link and you will have more idea that different people in different region of world have their meal in differnt time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner
We in Taiwan refer the term "dinner" naturally to main meal in the evening time, but it may be another story in another country, such as people living in northern England have their dinner in the midday.
Remember all what your mom has told you, and do the opposite.
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

Sherry Liao 寫:For me, there is nothing wrong with the context. :?

For example, I can imagine that A is an alien, and B is an earthman. The alien is curious about the way of life on earth, so he ask that, in general, what time an earthman would have dinner. The earthman answers him that the time we have dinner is evening.

I agree with Sherry. I think there's nothing wrong in the context.
We usually use presert simple tense to talk about habits and daily routines, don't we?
:?: :?:
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

David Jr. 寫:check the following link and you will have more idea that different people in different region of world have their meal in differnt time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner
We in Taiwan refer the term "dinner" naturally to main meal in the evening time, but it may be another story in another country, such as people living in northern England have their dinner in the midday.
David, to my surprise, in some part of the world white-collar and upper-class people who don't use their labor intensively eat lunch while farmers don't.

I'm more curious about why would you even check the word "dinner" in wiki? It's fun. :D
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

Georgia 寫:A: When do you have dinner?
B: We have dinner in the evening.

------
Please feel free to examine in any aspect.
I'll post the answer in three days.
Often, when come to an ambiguous question, it may be fun to give an answer that is also ambiguous.
But... in the name of crystal clear communication, that may not always be the best approach.
As far as the question is concern, by definition "dinner" is almost always served around early or late evening.
That is anywhere between 6pm-9pm, give or take.
If you use present tense to ask "when do you have dinner?" It is hard to tell what exactly do you want to know.
Are you asking, do I have dinner regularly at certain time of the evening? Or when will dinner be served?

The serving time of "supper" is more difficult to determine than a good old fashion dinner.
From Wikipedia, supper sounds more like a late night snack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supper
圖檔
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
回覆文章