回覆文章
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

---wise的用法(學了這個用法, 你的英文提昇了一個層次^.^)

文章 Michael-liu »

很多人說不知道為什麼自己講英文總覺得拘謹。確實,我們不敢或不會像native speaker那樣自然地運用一些"出格"的詞來加強意趣。
舉個例子,一些詞likewise(同樣地),otherwise(不然的話),clockwise(順時針方向的),它們都以"-wise"作字尾,似乎沒什麼特別的,可是,這個小小的詞綴到了老美口中,居然就"神"了。
他們很靈活地用在像"strategywise"(從策略上說),"weatherwise"(就天氣而言),雖不正式但在活中卻屢見不鮮、生機勃勃。因此,有人開玩笑說 :
"I like this house locationwise, but rentwise it's beyond me."(這幢房子的地點我倒喜歡,但房租我付不起。)note: 你不用講那麼誇張,只要懂意思就好。

已故美國共和黨參議員Everett Dirksen有一次對記者說 :

* "Timewise, I've reached the age of 70, but ideawise or outlookwise, I'm still 50 or less."

Wise是「就.......而言」的意思,例來讀幾個例句:
B:Do you think our products are competitive enough for an international market? 你認為我們的產品在國際市場上有競爭力嗎﹖
A:Pricewise yes, but in terms of service over a long period of time, I would say no. 就價格來說,是有的,但就長程服務來說,我認為��! �有。
Career-wise, she is getting on well. (論事業,她進展順利。)
The plan is not quite feasible costwise.(論成本,這計劃不大可行。)
wise 這類用法很口語,要正式可以改成 (phrase) in terms of ,例如:

* The plan is not quite feasible in terms of costs.
* In career terms, she is getting on well.

Wise作字尾,還有「朝.....方向」以及「和.....相似」兩個意思,例如:

Turn the lid anticlockwise to open it.(把蓋子朝反時針方向扭開。)
He walked soldier-wise.(他像走路像行軍。)這兩句還算正式。
頭像
Julian
文章: 733
註冊時間: 週三 1月 07, 2004 12:06 am
來自: Taipei

Re: ---wise的用法(學了這個用法, 你的英文提昇了一個層次^.^)

文章 Julian »

It's a good learnning material. I have seen it once.
Thanks for sharing here with us! Michael ~ :ssmile:
銀藍色.象牙海岸的月光~雀躍著沉寂中的寧靜..
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Let me try. Theory-wise my English should have been upgraded into another lever after learning this, but fact-wise I'm still in the same place.

No bad. I'm feeling good. :lol:
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Thanks for sharing the interesting information, Michael. I also find the definition in a dictionary:

Definition "-wise" - Collins English Dictionary & Thesaurus
http://dictionary.reverso.net/english-cobuild/-wise

-wise
1 comb in adv -wise is added to nouns to form adverbs indicating that something is the case when considering the particular thing mentioned.
ADV with cl
Career-wise, this illness couldn't have come at a worse time..., It was a much better day weather-wise...
2 comb in adv -wise is added to nouns to form adverbs indicating that someone behaves in the same way as the person or thing that is mentioned.
ADV after v (=-like)
We were housed student-wise in dormitory rooms...
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Rock 寫:Let me try. Theory-wise my English should have been upgraded into another lever after learning this, but fact-wise I'm still in the same place.

No bad. I'm feeling good. :lol:
Honestly, I have no idea if your English has been upgraded to another level, buddy. :twisted:

Creativeness-wise and freshness-wise, I think your writing is quite good, but spelling-wise..... maybe I've got it wrong, do you use "lever" as a lever to show a good sense of humor? :? :o :o :o
回覆文章