"friends with benefits" 這個詞的意思

回覆文章
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

"friends with benefits" 這個詞的意思

文章 Michael-liu »

I saw this term "friends with benefits" in a new book -超爆蘋果橘子經濟學( Super Freakonomics) and I was quite surprised what it means.

Literally, this expression seems to mean friends who are beneficial to us, but in fact, it does not mean that

For girls, if a foreign guy asks you " Can we be friends with benefits? ", you need to be a little bit careful.

It's somewhat embarrassing for me to say its meaning, so I let you guys find out the answer by yourself.

Michael
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: "friends with benefits" 這個詞的意思

文章 Rock »

This is an useful information. However, I don't think we can find its Chinese counterpart in translation.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

"friends with benefits" basically equals to 暗示型的超友誼(關係)

Related concept:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innuendo
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Michael-liu 寫:I saw this term "friends with benefits" in a new book -超爆蘋果橘子經濟學( Super Freakonomics) and I was quite surprised what it means.
The authors' previous book "Freakonomics" is my favorite. I have not had a chance to read the sequel "Super Freakonomics", but I heard it's even better. Is it?
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

The origin of this phrase isn't too hard to fathom.
It is common for a couple that is about to break-up to suggest "let's just be friends"
Since breaking-up isn't always easy or decisive.
Jokingly or not, in this highly delicate situation, one may tempted to negotiate a more "favorable" terms of separation by stretch the definition of "friends" in "let's just be friend" into "friends with benefits"
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
回覆文章