Kat's Tip 6 - Happy the Year of the Hare (Rabbit)!

回覆文章
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

Kat's Tip 6 - Happy the Year of the Hare (Rabbit)!

文章 Kat C »

Kat's Tip 6 - Happy the Year of the Hare (Rabbit)! (Plus, How to Explain the Chinese Dining Etiquette)

Happy New Year to all! The celebrations (well, a lot in New York) really warm up the brutal winter here quite a bit.

I haven't come across any great article about this particular Chinese New Year, but did find one about the Chinese dining etiquette very interesting. I thought I'd share it with you.

The Do's and Don'ts it talks about may not be news to us, but it can be useful to be able to "explain" these things to our English speaking friends. Read this article and you don't have to look for the words to do so next time:
http://www.cnngo.com/shanghai/eat/5-chi ... z1CMgoLRJz

May you all have a year full of joy and laughter!

Kat :D
最後由 Kat C 於 週六 2月 05, 2011 6:53 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: Kat's Tip 6 - Happy the Year of the Hare (Rabbit)!

文章 Kooper »

Hi Kat,

Thanks for constantly sharing useful tips with us. :ssmile:

It's always amazing to see how Chinese traditions are better preserved overseas than in Taiwan. I have to admit that I've only heard of three and am practicing only one of the five dining rules (the first rule only). :oops:

BTW, one statement in the article seems to contradict my understanding. :shock: If I am not mistaken, slurping noodles is considered polite in Japanese society but not in Chinese one. What do you say?
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Hi Kat,

Happy New Year! :D :D

Just curious as to why "Hare" is used here. For animal signs, is "hare" a common usage to describe the fourth animal of the year?
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

文章 Kat C »

Hi Kooper,

That's interesting. Slurping is a definite no-no here or anywhere in the West, but I don't know if it's so in Taiwan (you should ask around :wink: ). I did hear people slurping when I was in China and nobody said anything then. But that doesn't mean it's encouraged. I'll ask my students there.

Hi Sherry,

It's a great question! The Chinese Zodiac, having been translated at different times, does not have uniformed names in English assigned for the chart/cycle. Hare and boar are simply more formal than rabbit and pig.

The usual lineup is as follows: Rat, Ox, Tiger, Hare (Rabbit), Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat (Sheep, Ram), Monkey, Rooster, Dog, Boar (Pig).

Kat
回覆文章