we are not on the same wavelength..

we are not on the same wavelength..

文章Luis Ko » 週日 3月 27, 2011 10:40 pm

hey Iverson, you are right. we are not on the same wavelength. by the way, Michael, it seems there are too many variables is not Chinglish..
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章: 809
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: we are not on the same wavelength..

文章Michael-liu » 週一 3月 28, 2011 2:25 am

Luis Ko 寫:hey Iverson, you are right. we are not on the same wavelength. by the way, Michael, it seems there are too many variables is not Chinglish..

Dear Luis

I googled "there are many variables", and all the senstences came out in the search result are in a science context.

所以當我們中文要表達"這件事會如何發展很難說, 因為充滿了變數"時, 我們可以直接翻成"there are many variables" 嗎?

I just don't feel it is right, maybe someone can answer this question

Michael
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章: 532
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章Kat C » 週一 3月 28, 2011 8:18 am

Yes, you can use "there are many variables" in all sorts of contexts. It's pretty much like saying, "there are many unknowns". :D

Kat
頭像
Kat C

文章: 330
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

文章Iverson » 週一 3月 28, 2011 10:03 am

Dear Kat,

Thanks for your reply.
By the way, what makes you happy? I bet "sharing English things" makes you happy. (maybe not, you just couldn't help but share English things to people around you, ha!)

Dear Luis,

1. No matter what the correct answer of wavelength thing is, I enjoy listening to English movies even though they are wrong. Normally I don't care about (IGNORE would be better) the "in on at above under beyond" things, languages is about communication to me after all.
2. Regarding "Luis likes to hear British accent thing" (maybe from movies as well), I watched "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus", 帕納大師的魔幻冒險, from StarMovies last night (I fell asleep in the middle of the watching and don't know what the movie is about). Heath Ledger, Colin Farrell, and Johnny Depp speak British accent in the movie. (So does Jude Law, but he is British, ha.)

Dear Michael,

I prefer: "You never know" when it comes to "There are many variables". I am brainwashed by movies, like, Tomorrow is another day in "Gone with the wind" (when I want to escape in some circumstances), "Asda La Visda" in Terminator (when I want to say goodbye) , or, "Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you gonna get" in Foreest Gopp (??, too lazy to check the correct words).

Sincerely yours,
Iverson
頭像
Iverson
YOYO member

文章: 164
註冊時間: 週四 1月 15, 2009 11:25 am

文章Michael-liu » 週一 3月 28, 2011 10:02 pm

Dear Kat,

It is nice to have you answering our questions all the time. Thanks

Dear Iverson,