Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

NPR 06-19-2001 news

文章 Kooper »

You may click here to listen to the news: http://www.badongo.com/audio/25545962
0:00~0:55
NATO is now acknowledging there may have been severe casualties in a triple(?) air strike this morning. An official says a missile site was the intended target but adds one weapon missed its intended mark. Libya’s foreign minister says the strike on civilians was intentional and it’s time for global Shiites(?) against the West.
Government spokesman xxx ??? the message, “We are just calling for free people from around the world to stand tall against this aggression since now it’s clear attacking civilians and killing children, infants, and babies and families sleeping in the houses.” One NATO official says the alliance regrets the loss of innocent civilian lives.
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

Re: NPR 06-19-2001 news

文章 Kat C »

Hey Kooper, great job as always!

---------
NATO is now acknowledging there may have been civilian casualties in a Tripoli air strike this morning. An official says the missile site was the intended target but adds one weapon missed its intended mark. Libya’s foreign minister says the strike on civilians was intentional and it’s time for a global jihad against the West.

Government spokesman Mussa Ibrahim then softened the message, “We are just calling for free people from around the world to stand tall against this aggression, since now it’s clearly attacking civilians and killing children, infants, and babies and families sleeping in their houses.” One NATO official says the alliance regrets the loss of innocent civilian lives.
---------

Kat
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Thank you Kat for correcting my transcript. :D

How is your book going?
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

Hey Kooper, thanks for asking! It's coming along slowly but surely. :wink: I miss YOYO and will try to check in more often!

Kat
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

2:40 – 3:10
Glory Maculae, the US Open golf champ and he won today in record fashion. He shattered the US Open scoring record helped by four players including Jack Nicolas and Tiger Woods. Defendant Open champ Grand Macdows wins as boost for the game. “He is great for golf. He’s a breath fresher for the game. And, you know, perhaps we already for golf _____superstars, you know, and maybe….” The 22 year old ended it up at 16 under par.

3:10 – 3:55
Another major video game maker is dealing with cyber attack this weekend. As NPR Kimberly Adams reports the Japanese SEGA Corporation is the latest victim. SEGA is famous around the world for its Sonic _______ series games. The personal information of more than a million of its customers was stolen in a cyber attack. SEGA claims no financial information is at risk but the hackers did get the email addresses, dates of birth, and encrypted passwords of players. Thursday security breach is the latest in a stream of attacks on gaming companies. Hackers also targeted Nintendo and Sony in recent month accessing the personal data of more than a hundred million users.
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

Hey Michael, nicely done!

---------
2:40 – 3:10
Rory Mcllroy is the US Open golf champ, and he won today in record fashion. He shattered a US Open scoring record held by four players, including Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods. Defending Open champ Graeme McDowell says McIlroy's win is a boost for the game. “He's great for golf. He’s a breath of fresh air for the game. And, you know, perhaps we're ready for golf's next new superstar, you know, and maybe Rory's it.” The 22-year-old ended up at 16-under par.

3:10 – 3:55
Another major video game maker is dealing with a cyber attack this weekend. As NPR's Kimberly Adams reports, the Japanese Sega Corporation is the latest victim. Sega is famous around the world for its Sonic the Hedgehog series of games. The personal information of more than a million of its customers was stolen in the cyber attack. Sega claims no financial information is at risk, but the hackers did get the email addresses, dates of birth, and encrypted passwords of players. Thursday's security breach is the latest in a stream of attacks on gaming companies. Hackers also targeted Nintendo and Sony in recent months, accessing the personal data of more than a hundred million users.
---------

Kat
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Hi, Kat

Thank you very much for the correction. I did not realize I had made so many mistakes until I saw your correction.

I picked up a word recently -"over-achiever" " someone who works very hard to be successful, and is very unhappy if they do not achieve everything they want to" from Longman

I can not think of any good Chinese term for it. You got any clue?

Michael
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

Hey Michael,

You're very welcome! Those misses are minor and you're getting better all the time!

"Overachiever" most often refers to someone who performs better than expected by others. It's true that in many cases it can imply that performing so well is not entirely desirable - they may be trying too hard or taking themselves too seriously. But the word is only negative if you want it to be.

If we put it in a commentary, I can think of "要強" as being "overachieving", "強人" as "overachiever". In work or school they are "績優人員" or "特優生".

Again, it's all about the context. "He's such an overachiever!" can mean, "He's always doing so well!" or negatively, "He just has to be the best or perfect, doesn't he?" :wink:

Kat
回覆文章