Kat's Skype Hour I –Correct me if I'm wrong! (Sep.1, 9 pm)

回覆文章
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

Kat's Skype Hour I –Correct me if I'm wrong! (Sep.1, 9 pm)

文章 Kat C »

Kat's Skype Hour I - Correct me if I'm wrong! Thursday, Sep.1, 9 pm (Taipei Time/CST)

圖檔

It's been a LONG while since I was last able to participate in Yoyo meetings (and outings! :ccry: ), and I truly miss them. As I promised before I left that I'd do some kind of Skype activity from this part of the world, here's what I've come up with: a chat hour where we do all sorts of verbal practice to help with listening and speaking – which Skype is perfect for!

The first practice I'd like to try is error correction. In normal meetings and conversations we are not usually inclined to correct each other on "language errors". To do so can be taken as being disrespectful or even snobby. As a result we fossilize our mistakes and miss out on opportunities to improve. So this is our opportunity! We'll even make a game out of it so nobody will feel too uncomfortable doing this. :lol:

I'm calling it: “Correct me if I'm wrong!”

(I'm playing on the words here. This expression is typically used before you make a statement that you're not entirely sure of but feel that you have to make, especially if it runs contrary to what has just been said, or what most people think is the case. Sometimes you are certain that you are right, but you want to sound polite anyway. E.g.: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they have a new figure now, and it's a lot higher than this.

Here I use the expression literally, since it's perfect for what we're trying to do. :wink: )

This is what you need to do to join us: download Skype for free if you don't have it already, add Kat as a contact by searching “moreopenmind” (New York), and send me a message: “Kat's Skype Hour” around 7:55 pm (Taipei Time). I'll conference call everyone that has done so, at 8 pm. If you're late, I can still add you into the conference at any point, so don't be shy.

What we will do is discuss an article, and as we talk we try to catch mistakes others make – grammatical or otherwise – and earn points! What's fun is that we also get points if we make mistakes and get 'caught', because those mistakes represent new things we may have learned and improvements we can make. Sound like fun? Let's give it a try!

For our first article I'd like to talk about this fun one from The Economist: Asia's Lonely Hearts. I'll do a Q&A on the article first for any questions you may have.

We'll try out this Skype Hour idea and make adjustments accordingly. Wish I could be there for actual Yoyo events, but this will have to do for now. Hope to see you there! :sun:

圖檔
最後由 Kat C 於 週四 8月 25, 2011 12:17 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 3 次。
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: Kat's Skype Hour I –Correct me if I'm wrong! (Sep.1, 9 pm)

文章 Kooper »

Kat,

It sounds exciting! I'll definitely in.

I, however, might be late in light of a regular meeting that takes place just 30 minutes earlier. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to have it finished within half an hour.

Kooper
頭像
Josh
文章: 85
註冊時間: 週日 4月 24, 2011 4:42 pm

文章 Josh »

kat

long time no see, I miss you so much.. :D

I will join.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Great!!! I am there! :D
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

Hey Kooper, Josh, Sherry,

So nice to hear from you. Bring your game spirit and let's get rid of all those pesky mistakes!

And Josh, I miss you too!

Kat
Terry
文章: 35
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 9:38 am

文章 Terry »

Hi, Kat,

Thanks for organizing the awesome skype hour.

Count me in, please. :D

I was so excited that I just sent the early message on skype. :oops:

Terry
follow your heart and go for it!
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

This article demonstrates how to express the following marital terms in various ways.

1. 結婚 as a verb: to marry, to get married, to get hitched, to tie the knot, to wed

2. 已婚的 as an adjective: be married

3. 已婚狀態 as an uncountable noun: wedlock

4. 未婚的 as an adjective: be unmarried, be single, be not married

5. 晚婚 as a verb: to postpone getting hitched, to marry late,

6.用整句表達晚婚的現象: The mean age of marriage has risen sharply to reach a specific age ..., Marriage ages have risen all over the world.

7. 不婚 as a noun: the flight from marriage, the decline of marriage

8. 不婚 as a verb: to steer clear of wedlock, Women are retrieving from marriage as they go into the workplace., to pursue a single life, to have a pessimistic view of marriage

9. 用整句表達不婚的現象: Marriage rates are falling.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

In the beginning of the article, I noticed that the author used a special structure to make the opening more intriguing.
In short, the structure is like:

Begin with a debate that is well-known. Then follow it by "But a more intriguing, if less noticed, argument was that …., and that …" to introduce the real topic that the author plan to discuss in this article.

I guess here the "If less noticed" means 或許較不為人知的(某人某事) (am I right?)

From the dictionaries I found that there is a bunch of usages in which "if" is used as a 插入語 like this.

You use if to suggest that sth might be slightly different from what you are statingin the main part of the sentence, for example that there might be slightly more or less of a particular quality (more/less/better/worse etc)(Collins Cobuild)

Ex1: Brian rarely, if ever, goes to bed before 3 am.
Ex2: His predictions have seldom if ever been proved wrong.
Ex3: The snow was now two feet deep, making it difficult, if not impossible, to get the car out.
Ex4: Sometimes, that standard is quite difficult, if not impossible, to achieve.
Ex5: Their policies have changed little, if at all, since the last election.
Ex6: I'm working on my fitness and I will be ready in a couple of weeks, if not sooner.
Ex7: The changes will affect thousands, if not millions, of ordinary people.

One thing that I noticed is 若if前是否定的意涵, if後的字需表達肯定的意涵. (example #1,2,3, and 4)
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

When you get on Skype for the Skype Hour and don't see me (moreopenmind), don't be alarmed. I'm on but stay "invisible". Otherwise friends, family and students may call me and inadvertently disrupt the meeting. :mrgreen: Just send me a message and I'll call everybody. Talk to you soon!

Kat
頭像
Remous
YOYO member
文章: 48
註冊時間: 週日 1月 04, 2009 11:31 pm

文章 Remous »

Kat, thank for the wonderful air communication. i got a lot .

Even the standard of financial security is lower or the right person is hard to find.but i am trying.~ :D
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

In the meeting finishing a complete sentence became really challenging - sometimes I even forgot what I was planning to say after the pauses. But at the same time I clearly sensed how seriously and passionately Kat would like to help us. Thank you Kat for what you've done to us. I believe as more meetings go by we'll make less errors and let the idea we would like to convey flow more smoothly.
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

Hi Remous, Kooper,

You are very welcome. You all did great!

Since this exercise is all about error reduction, I can't let any mistakes slip by. :mrgreen:

"Kat, thanks for the wonderful online communication."
"Even though the sense of financial security is diminished, and the right person is hard to find, I am trying."

"Thank you Kat for what you've done for us. I believe as more meetings go by we'll make fewer errors and have the ideas we would like to convey flow more smoothly."

More mistakes, more learning! :D

Kat
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Kat C 寫:Hi Remous, Kooper,

You are very welcome. You all did great!

Since this exercise is all about error reduction, I can't let any mistakes slip by. :mrgreen:

"Kat, thanks for the wonderful online communication."
"Even though the sense of financial security is diminished, and the right person is hard to find, I am trying."

"Thank you Kat for what you've done for us. I believe as more meetings go by we'll make fewer errors and have the ideas we would like to convey flow more smoothly."

More mistakes, more learning! :D

Kat
Dear Kat,

I just realized that I'd long forgot the rules that LESS has to be used together with uncount nouns and FEWER must be followed by plural nouns. This is one of my blind spots. Thank you for pointing it out. :sun:
回覆文章