Kat's Skype Hour – The Top 10 Series 1 (Nov.10, 9 pm)

回覆文章
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

Kat's Skype Hour – The Top 10 Series 1 (Nov.10, 9 pm)

文章 Kat C »

圖檔

It's been a while since I last got on here. Miss you all! :ccry: I've long wanted to do a "first page classics" kind of book club, and now I finally have some time to do it!

So the idea is this: since there're way too many GREAT BOOKS to read, and too little time (and energy left after a hard day's work) with which to do so, I thought we could at least get a taste of some of the classics by reading their opening page. You may be surprised by just how accessible these books actually are, if we just tackle them one page at a time. Who knows? You might want to read the whole book after this!

Now the book selection. There are best-books lists galore, but where to start? THE TOP 10 compiles picks by 125 top American and British authors - who'd know better than people who actually write books, right? - and serves up a few great lists. Here's the one that we'd focus on, one book for each Skype Hour:

The Top Ten Books of All Time:

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Hamlet by William Shakespeare
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust
The Stories of Anton Chekhov by Anton Chekhov
Middlemarch by George Eliot

《安娜‧卡列妮娜》(by 托爾斯泰) has long been hailed as the best the "realist fiction" has to offer, and we'll go over thoroughly the first page (or chapter :mrgreen: ) of the novel. There're of course many translations out there, but I just picked one that's available online and that I feel reads well. Here's the text:

ANNA KARENINA
Chapter 1

Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

Everything was in confusion in the Oblonskys' house. The wife had discovered that the husband was carrying on an intrigue with a French girl, who had been a governess in their family, and she had announced to her husband that she could not go on living in the same house with him. This position of affairs had now lasted three days, and not only the husband and wife themselves, but all the members of their family and household, were painfully conscious of it. Every person in the house felt that there was no sense in their living together, and that the stray people brought together by chance in any inn had more in common with one another than they, the members of the family and household of the Oblonskys. The wife did not leave her own room, the husband had not been at home for three days. The children ran wild all over the house; the English governess quarreled with the housekeeper, and wrote to a friend asking her to look out for a new situation for her; the man-cook had walked off the day before just at dinner time; the kitchen-maid, and the coachman had given warning.

Three days after the quarrel, Prince Stepan Arkadyevitch Oblonsky—Stiva, as he was called in the fashionable world— woke up at his usual hour, that is, at eight o'clock in the morning, not in his wife's bedroom, but on the leather-covered sofa in his study. He turned over his stout, well-cared-for person on the springy sofa, as though he would sink into a long sleep again; he vigorously embraced the pillow on the other side and buried his face in it; but all at once he jumped up, sat up on the sofa, and opened his eyes.

"Yes, yes, how was it now?" he thought, going over his dream. "Now, how was it? To be sure! Alabin was giving a dinner at Darmstadt; no, not Darmstadt, but something American. Yes, but then, Darmstadt was in America. Yes, Alabin was giving a dinner on glass tables, and the tables sang, Il mio tesoro—not Il mio tesoro though, but something better, and there were some sort of little decanters on the table, and they were women, too," he remembered.

Stepan Arkadyevitch's eyes twinkled gaily, and he pondered with a smile. "Yes, it was nice, very nice. There was a great deal more that was delightful, only there's no putting it into words, or even expressing it in one's thoughts awake." And noticing a gleam of light peeping in beside one of the serge curtains, he cheerfully dropped his feet over the edge of the sofa, and felt about with them for his slippers, a present on his last birthday, worked for him by his wife on gold-colored morocco. And, as he had done every day for the last nine years, he stretched out his hand, without getting up, towards the place where his dressing-gown always hung in his bedroom. And thereupon he suddenly remembered that he was not sleeping in his wife's room, but in his study, and why: the smile vanished from his face, he knitted his brows.

"Ah, ah, ah! Oo!…" he muttered, recalling everything that had happened. And again every detail of his quarrel with his wife was present to his imagination, all the hopelessness of his position, and worst of all, his own fault.

"Yes, she won't forgive me, and she can't forgive me. And the most awful thing about it is that it's all my fault—all my fault, though I'm not to blame. That's the point of the whole situation," he reflected. "Oh, oh, oh!" he kept repeating in despair, as he remembered the acutely painful sensations caused him by this quarrel.

Most unpleasant of all was the first minute when, on coming, happy and good-humored, from the theater, with a huge pear in his hand for his wife, he had not found his wife in the drawing-room, to his surprise had not found her in the study either, and saw her at last in her bedroom with the unlucky letter that revealed everything in her hand.

She, his Dolly, forever fussing and worrying over household details, and limited in her ideas, as he considered, was sitting perfectly still with the letter in her hand, looking at him with an expression of horror, despair, and indignation.

"What's this? this?" she asked, pointing to the letter.

And at this recollection, Stepan Arkadyevitch, as is so often the case, was not so much annoyed at the fact itself as at the way in which he had met his wife's words.

There happened to him at that instant what does happen to people when they are unexpectedly caught in something very disgraceful. He did not succeed in adapting his face to the position in which he was placed towards his wife by the discovery of his fault. Instead of being hurt, denying, defending himself, begging forgiveness, instead of remaining indifferent even—anything would have been better than what he did do—his face utterly involuntarily (reflex spinal action, reflected Stepan Arkadyevitch, who was fond of physiology)—utterly involuntarily assumed its habitual, good-humored, and therefore idiotic smile.

This idiotic smile he could not forgive himself. Catching sight of that smile, Dolly shuddered as though at physical pain, broke out with her characteristic heat into a flood of cruel words, and rushed out of the room. Since then she had refused to see her husband.

"It's that idiotic smile that's to blame for it all," thought
Stepan Arkadyevitch.
"But what's to be done? What's to be done?" he said to himself in despair, and found no answer.

(http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/1399/pg1399.html)

To find out more about THE TOP 10, check out here: http://www.toptenbooks.net/

So I hope to see you on Skype, Nov. 10, 9pm (Taipei Time)!

Kat
最後由 Kat C 於 週日 11月 06, 2011 4:02 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
Kat C

Re: Kat's Skype Hour – The Top 10 Series 1 (Nov.10, 9 pm)

文章 Kat C »

圖檔

There are a few things we'll do in this hour, if you wish to prepare for it: :wink:

1. The book opens with one of the most famous quotes from a classic. Can you "say" it well? (Quote it, but don't "read" it! :wink: )

2. The writing is graceful and whimsical, with an air from the past. Can you point out a few wordings that might be termed in a simpler, more modern way, in a contemporary work?

3. A lot of physical descriptions are used to depict characters or actions. Can you give a few examples, and explain how they add to the effects desired?

4. A good opening gives a good picture of the world the book sets out to create. What impressions do you have after reading just one chapter?

5. Certain narrative styles do not just describe the situations involved, but also try to analyze them. Have you found it to be the case here?

Oops. These may sound a bit too serious. :mrgreen: I promise that we'll try to make it fun - as the book actually is!

Kat
最後由 Kat C 於 週三 11月 09, 2011 7:40 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Dear Kat,

The questions are not easy to answer ... I'll need to read more times before trying to answer them.

I don't know if the discussion is going to take place as planned, since no body has registered so far. Maybe it's a bit too challenging.

If it does go as planned, I would be 30-minute late. Hopefully you don't mind. 9 pm is a bit too early for me. :mrgreen:
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Hi Kat,

I will join tomorrow's discussion!
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

1. The book opens with one of the most famous quotes from a classic. Can you "say" it well?
"All happy families resemble one another, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Most likely I will have to work overtime Tuesday evening.
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

Hi Kooper,

I know. The response has been overwhelming, eh? :mrgreen: No worries. The fewer people show up, the more those do can talk! :lol:

It's OK to join in whenever. I'm just glad to be able to talk to you guys.

Hi Sherry,

Excellent! Can't wait to catch up! :D

Hi Wayne,

Nice! It's perfectly worded. The only thing is, if you use a comma as opposed to a semicolon between two independent clauses, a conjunction such as "but" needs to be there.

What I was getting at, though, was to have everyone say the line without reading it - or simply doing rote recitation. Say it as if it's our own line. 8)

We'll miss you if you can't make it. But thanks for the heads-up!

Kat
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

Kat C 寫:Hi Wayne,

Nice! It's perfectly worded. The only thing is, if you use a comma as opposed to a semicolon between two independent clauses, a conjunction such as "but" needs to be there.
Sure, thank you. Just a typo.
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
Terry
文章: 35
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 9:38 am

文章 Terry »

Hi, Kat,

Thanks a million for your wonderful skype hour.

I'm game. Talk to you then.

Terry
follow your heart and go for it!
回覆文章