頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

Kat's Tips 13-The Best of the Web-A Tragedy and an Outrage

文章 Kat C »

圖檔

Why White People Should Care About Trayvon Martin

The death of a teenage boy has outraged many beyond his family and community. I'm following this case closely and hoping that, not only justice will prevail, the nation also looks inside itself and considers what kind of people we want to be.

The interview comes with both the audio and the transcript:

http://www.npr.org/2012/03/20/148993451 ... eing-black

Kat
最後由 Kat C 於 週三 3月 28, 2012 4:28 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Kat's Tips 13-The Best of the Web-A Tragedy and an Outrage

文章 Michael-liu »

Yeah, this tragedy happened because of racial stereotype.

Kat, Americans also use the term "racial profiling" nowadays. 這個詞如果要翻成中文, 妳會怎麼翻呢?

Thanks
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

Hi Michael,

This one hasn't seemed to be translated much as a fixed phrase, probably because it takes some explaining. :wink:

Essentially "racial profiling", which I strongly oppose, by the way, is to target certain ethnic groups when enforcing the law or solving crimes. It runs against the basic legal right of "presumed innocent until proven guilty" and engages in wholesale discrimination.

So what words can we use to properly capture the implications of the practice? I saw online that someone did "種族偵防", which is not bad, but people may still wonder what that means. If I use it in a Chinese context I'll simply explain the concept: "依種族刻板印象來執行法令或辦案". If I want to be sarcastic, I'll explain it and then call it, "種族定案" or "種族定罪法"! :twisted:

Kat

圖檔
最後由 Kat C 於 週四 3月 29, 2012 12:22 am 編輯,總共編輯了 3 次。
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

圖檔
New information continues to come out of the Trayvon case and I will update the posting as the case develops.

The fact that the case is so complex underlines the many issues the community faces.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/28/justice/f ... ?hpt=us_c1

Kat
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Hi, Kat, I think your translation is much better than the following article.

( Thanks JD for providing this article to me )

「種族貌相」Racial Profiling 的偏見

哈佛大學講座教授亨利.路易士.蓋茲二世(Henry Louis Gates Jr.)是美國最有名的黑人學者,也是最有影響力的公共知識分子之一。他擁有耶魯歷史學士和英國劍橋大學文學博士學位,在耶魯、康乃爾和杜克大學設帳數年之後,一九九一年到哈佛創立非洲及非裔美國人學系(俗稱黑人系)。當了十五年創系主任後,三年前改任W E B杜波伊斯研究所所長兼大學講座教授。

蓋茲桃李遍布新大陸,各大學的黑人系教授幾乎都是他的朋友和學生。蓋茲,年輕時打球受傷,醫生誤診以後兩腿長短不齊,走路需用枴杖。蓋茲專攻文學理論和批評,著作等身,活動力極強,口才又好,常在公共電視上主持黑人文化與歷史節目,喜歡製作黑人紀錄片,亦常在報章雜誌寫文章,評論時事。過去二十五年,蓋茲可說名滿全美,只要稍微注意一點文化動態,沒有人不知道蓋茲其人。

2009七月十六日那天中午,蓋茲倒楣極了,也許是他五十八年中運氣最壞的一天。他剛從中國大陸攝製兩禮拜紀錄片返美,又累又病(氣管炎)。計程車把他載到麻州劍橋哈佛廣場附近獨門獨戶自宅,卻發現門鎖壞了,打不開,他和司機一起用力把門推開。就在此時,一個愛管閒事的白人老太太對同為過路客的白人女子說,好像有人闖空門,叫她報警。這名女子即打九一一緊急電話給警察,但她並未說是兩個黑人。九一一即派白人警官傑姆斯.克勞利(James Crowley)趕至現場。

四十二歲的克勞利對蓋茲說,他接獲消息說這裡發生搶案。蓋茲很不高興地回應,這是他家,他是哈佛教授。克勞利要他拿出證明,蓋茲即到廚房拿哈佛教授證給克勞利看,同時也要求克氏出示警證與警號,克氏拒絕。蓋茲即大聲對克氏說:「哦,因為你是白人,我是黑人,所以我才要證明我住在這裡。」局面從此逆轉,蓋茲動了氣,開始怒責克勞利,克氏要他到門外去。據克氏說,蓋茲吼道:「我就出去跟你老媽談談。」蓋茲說他沒說這句話。克勞利一面打電話要求支援,一面指控蓋茲「妨害治安」(disorderly conduct),用手銬銬上蓋茲。大批警察隨即趕到,並把行動不便的蓋茲帶至劍橋警局登記照相。蓋茲在警局打電話給他的好友、哈佛法學院黑人教授查爾斯.歐格屈(Charles L. Ogletree)請他到警局來處理此事。蓋茲在警局待了四個小時。五天後(即七月二十一日),劍橋警局撤銷對蓋茲的控罪。

雪球開始滾了。七月二十二日晚上,歐巴馬主持以全民健保法案為主題的記者會,他熟識的一名《芝加哥太陽時報》的白人女記者提問最後一個問題,即蓋茲事件。記者會前,歐巴馬已和幕僚對這個問題做了沙盤推演,而他本人又是以謹言慎行著稱。但他在答覆問題時,卻無法控制自己,他沒辦法「小心翼翼」地講,因蓋茲是他的朋友(儘管去年大選蓋茲投希拉蕊一票),而歐巴馬年輕時亦曾多次被白人警察無緣無故攔住盤問,他當芝加哥州議員時更是為防止警察進行所謂「種族貌相」(racial profiling)而力促州議會立法禁止。歐巴馬情不自禁地批評克勞利明知蓋茲是那間房子的主人,還要用手銬銬他,「其做法是愚蠢的」(acted stupidly)。

歐巴馬以一國之尊,使用「愚蠢」字眼評論劍橋警察的做法,似乎有點「超過」,可謂出言不慎,無怪乎引起軒然大波。迫使他只好打電話向克勞利表示「遺憾」,再致電蓋茲,並邀請他們擇日到白宮喝啤酒聊聊。歐巴馬亦不得不第二次站出來收拾善後。歐巴馬在第一次記者會上以及幾天來美國媒體的報導與評論,都一再出現「種族貌相」(racial profiling)一詞,它和「種族歧視」(racial discrimination)的涵義完全不同,但美國華人媒體幾全把racial profiling譯成「種族歧視」。

簡略而言,racial profiling是指警察以面貌和膚色來判定某人不是好人而加以攔下盤問。如黑人常在高速公路上被攔下,又如黑人住在高級住宅區或開豪華轎車,常會遭警察盤問。去年七月,《紐約時報》和CBS聯合民調,百分之六十六的黑人都表示曾遭警察無緣無故地攔下。「種族歧視」是犯法的,只要有證據即可訴之於法;而「種族貌相」並未觸法,但卻是一樁嚴重的種族偏見與惡習。黑人和拉丁裔經常吃悶虧,這也是屢屢造成黑人和警察關係緊張的最大原因之一。難怪那一天歐巴馬一再提到「種族貌相」在今天的美國社會仍是大問題。

歐巴馬當總統後,美國的種族問題不可能馬上改善。悲觀地說,也許很難好轉,這是美國社會、文化、教育與經濟的大難題,已經拖了一、二百年來的歷史病痛。蓋茲花了二、三十年時間教育美國人民有關黑人文化的尊嚴,但他自己卻被傲慢的白人警察銬上手銬。許多白人警察說開罰單即可,為什麼要對一個毫無暴力傾向的殘障教授如此粗暴。蓋茲說,他準備為公視製作一部專門說「種族貌相」的紀錄片。媒體說,克勞利在劍橋當了那麼多年警察,卻從未聽過蓋茲這個人,真是大學城裡的怪事!

(中國時報林博文專欄 )
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

Hey Michael,

Thanks! "種族貌相" works on some level, if people understand the phrase going in. It doesn't convey strongly enough how intrusive and abusive the practice is, however. "貌相", as in "人不可貌相", simply says you gather certain impressions from one's appearance. The authorities' engaging in "racial profiling", such as the security staff searching or blocking Middle-Eastern-looking people at the airport, violates the civil rights of those groups. I feel that a strong - and negative - wording is absolutely warranted. :twisted:

Kat

圖檔
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

圖檔

The "hoodie" has become a powerful symbol in light of the Trayvon Martin case. Here's an article that explains it all:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blo ... _blog.html

A congressman also protested on the House floor in a hoodie:

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/28/polit ... an-hoodie/

圖檔

Kat
回覆文章