回覆文章
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

Kat's Tips 15-The Best of the Web(8)-TV Pundits

文章 Kat C »

Dear Yoyoers,

It's been a crazy few months, but it's good to get back here and read up all the goodies. I miss you all! :ccry:

With the American presidential election coming up in about a month, the TV pundits are gearing up here and chiming in. I thought it'd be good to introduce two of the most popular pundits (both very successful syndicated columnists as well) on or off TV (or the Internet). PBS Newshour is clever to pair up a liberal and a conservative, both witty, respectful, and extremely insightful. I try to catch them whenever I can!

They are on at least once a week, but now in the high political season we get to see them more often. And best yet, there's a transcript to go with their discussion!

I'll suggest, though, that you watch the video first, and only refer back to the transcript if there are words you simply can't figure out after repeated viewing. It's a TV show, and is meant to be watched! :wink:

You'll also find political references that, even with every word spelled out, are unfamiliar to you. In that case, Google and Google News are your best bets! Just search them - and be sure to get information from more than one source.

Hope you all enjoy it. And talk to you again soon on the Skype Hour!

Kat :sun:

Video and Transcript:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics ... 09-28.html

圖檔
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Kat's Tips 15-The Best of the Web(8)-TV Pundits

文章 Luis Ko »

thank you :D
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

I didn't know the word "pundit", so I checked it. Only to find out there are already several of them in our club. :lol:
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Hi Kat,

Thanks for sharing it. How have you been lately?

I've learnt two terms from the video - Rose Garden strategy & Hail Marry pass. Both of them require a certain degree of understanding of the American culture - politician and sports in this case - to comprehend. Guess only watching real American programs can expose myself more often to such kind of phrases.

Speaking of the Rose Garden strategy, I found an interesting article discussing Mitt Romney's rose garden strategy, although he is not an incumbent: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... _blog.html.

Regards,
Kooper
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

文章 Kat C »

Hi Kooper,

Things are going well! We had our first snow last week. It only lasted for a few yours, however. It looks to be another warm winter.

Speaking of the rose garden, the connection came to mind when I was watching The Hunger Game's film adaptation. I haven't read the books so am not sure if it's from the book or an add-on. President Snow was in his beautiful rose garden when giving directives to the game master.

Kat :D
回覆文章