中翻英練習

Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

中翻英練習

文章 Michael-liu »

Today I went to attend Microsoft Computex Forum and saw the following sentence on raffle ticket

"若中獎者於抽獎唱名三次後仍不在現場,則視同放棄得獎權利"

I think it is quite challenging to translate it into English. Anyone wants to try it?

I will provide the official translation from Microsoft later
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: 中翻英練習

文章 Luis Ko »

the winners will forfeit their right to the prize if they can not be on sight, after the announcement of their names for three times..

就勉強排列組合的句子阿因為還真是滿難的 :?
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Let me try.... How about?

If the winner is not present to claim the prize upon the third announcement of his/her name, that person will automatically forfeit his/her (or their) prize.
If the winner is not present to claim the prize upon the third announcement of his/her name, the prize will be automatically forfeited.
If the winner is not present to claim the prize after the third announcement of his/her name, he/she will be automatically disqualified for the award.
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

the winners will forfeit their right if fail to claim the prizes within the period of announcing their names by three times.
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

the prize will be forfeited if unclaimed after the winner's name have been announced for three times.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Luis Ko 寫:the prize will be forfeited if unclaimed after the winner's name have been announced for three times.
This one is much better - concise! :)
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

Thank you two for trying

Here is the offical translation by Microsoft: (printed on the raffle ticket)

Absence at the three drawing announcements will be considered a waiver of any right to the prize.
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

Michael-liu 寫:Thank you two for trying

Absence at the three drawing announcements will be considered a waiver of any right to the prize.

totally different form what i have thought.. :ccry:
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Thanks, Michael!
After digging more, as described in Wiki, Forfeiture and waiver:
  • Waiver is the voluntary relinquishment, surrender or abandonment of some known right or privilege.
    Forfeiture is the act of losing or surrendering something as a penalty for a mistake or fault or failure to perform, etc
It makes sense to use "waive", but if the translation is "則被取消得獎權利", then should we use "forfeit"?
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

Iris Wu 寫:

Thanks, Michael!
After digging more, as described in Wiki, Forfeiture and waiver:
  • Waiver is the voluntary relinquishment, surrender or abandonment of some known right or privilege.
    Forfeiture is the act of losing or surrendering something as a penalty for a mistake or fault or failure to perform, etc
It makes sense to use "waive", but if the translation is "則被取消得獎權利", then should we use "forfeit"?
Hi, Iris

The Chinese is 則視同放棄得獎權利, not 則被取消得獎權利, so Microsoft considers you voluntarily giving up the right

Thus, I think it is more suitable to use "waive" here, since it is not a penalty
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

I agreed, so I said "It makes sense to use "waive"."

I just had a question, what if the Chinese is "若中獎者於抽獎唱名三次後仍不在現場 , 則被取消得獎權利", how would you translate it?
(The same senario, 若中獎者於抽獎唱名三次後仍不在現場 becomes a penalty.)
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

for·feit (fôr′fĭt)
tr.v. for·feit·ed, for·feit·ing, for·feits
1. To lose or give up (something) on account of an offense, error, or failure to fulfill an agreement: The other team did not show up in time and so forfeited the game.

"若中獎者於抽獎唱名三次後仍不在現場,則視同放棄得獎權利"

所以本句的意思用這兩個字應該都可以吧 forfeit the right and waiver of the right.. 因為不在而"喪失權利/棄權/放棄"

當然 considered a waiver of the right 對比 "則視同放棄得獎權利" 聽起來是貼切些沒錯!!

不過話說回來, 翻譯嘛, 兩個不同語言要找到精準對應的字有時並不容易, 所以不要翻錯阿意思有到最重要, 就不要太計較啦要我說哈哈 :lol:
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

其實我比較好奇這是先有英文再翻中文, 還是先有中文再翻英文.. 阿英文是native speaker 寫的嗎? :lol:
Tina Sun
YOYO member
文章: 414
註冊時間: 週三 10月 02, 2013 3:23 pm

文章 Tina Sun »

The name of the drawing's winner will be announced three times. If the winner is not present during that time, he/she will be disqualified and another winner will be selected.

一整個白話! 哈
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Yeah, translation is an art! The level that I know it's not easy to get to. I guess I have been just using English as a tool to convey some thoughts, and I know there are many more elegant ways to say them or translate them. With this kind of exercises, thanks to Michael, we did get chance to grade our level of elegance, Ha!
回覆文章