回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Articles on Taiwan

文章 Kooper »

Foxconn Chief Promises Sharp Turnaround

Terry Gou seals $3.5 billion deal for Japanese electronics maker at signing ceremony
http://www.wsj.com/articles/foxconn-sea ... 1459596206

Foxconn Technology Group chief Terry Gou on Saturday formally signed a $3.5 billion deal to put Sharp Corp. under his control and promised a successful rescue of the troubled Japanese electronics maker.

Foxconn, which has prospered as an assembler of Apple Inc.’s iPhones, faces a challenge in keeping Sharp among the leading group of smartphone-display makers after marathon negotiations left Sharp in limbo for months.

Mr. Gou flew from Taiwan to join Sharp’s chief executive, Kozo Takahashi, for a signing ceremony at a waterfront factory near Osaka that makes large flat-panel display screens. The factory was established by Sharp but didn’t turn profitable until Foxconn took over the management in 2012—a success the companies said was a symbol of how they could work together now all of Sharp is set to come under Foxconn’s control.

“I wouldn’t have spent this much time and energy if I didn’t have a road map to turn around Sharp. Hon Hai’s investment in Sharp will work,” said Mr. Gou.

The self-made billionaire long hoped to acquire Sharp’s expertise in making displays. The expensive component could help Foxconn, formally known as Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., further diversify from low-margin contract manufacturing.

Even if the deal fails to go through owing to unexpected events, it permits Mr. Gou to buy Sharp’s display business on its own. That is one of the favorable terms he won in a final month of hard bargaining that also reduced the deal’s total value by nearly $2.5 billion from his original proposal.

The deal’s success is likely to hinge in large part on Sharp’s ability to lead in next-generation display technology, including organic light-emitting diode displays that Apple is expected to use in some iPhones as soon as next year. The OLED technology is currently dominated by Samsung Electronics Co., which makes more than 95% of the global supply according to Beijing-based research firm Sigma Intell.

“I will provide my full-fledged support for Sharp to become a respected, cutting-edge consumer electronics brand world-wide,” Mr. Gou said. “I love Sharp because of Sharp’s innovative engineering culture.”
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Articles on Taiwan

文章 Luis Ko »

also "come under Foxconn’s control"..

i sometimes would have questions about some words' combinations when reading an article, then i would check it and find out that they were actually idioms or phrases. this post really gives me an idea about the topic i can use in the future, if i would be a host one day haa~ 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: Articles on Taiwan

文章 Kooper »

Luis Ko 寫:also "come under Foxconn’s control"..
i sometimes would have questions about some words' combinations when reading an article, then i would check it and find out that they were actually idioms or phrases. this post really gives me an idea about the topic i can use in the future, if i would be a host one day haa~ 8)
Hi Luis,
It looks like you really started to pay attention to usages of "come." :sun: Good for you!
回覆文章