YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Listening Practice 4

文章 Michael-liu »

Kooper 寫:
Kooper 寫:...
0:06~0:57
The United States and Russia have announced a plan calling for ceasefire in Syria as soon as Monday. If the truce holds and other conditions are met, NPR's xxx reports, the two nations plan to coordinate efforts to defeat ISIS and the Al Qaeda affiliate in Syria.

Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian foreign minister xxx said implementation will begin on September 12 with the succession(?) of hostilities between regime and the opposition. Under the deal the Syrian air force will not fly combat missions in areas where the opposition is present, areas which would be designated by the US and Russia. And both regime and opposition must allow access for aid. Xxx said if the truce and aid access hold for seven days, the US and Russia will create a joint information center to coordinate air strikes on ISIS and the Syrian Al Qaeda affiliate.
succession is correct. However, according to the dictionary, I think it should be "a succession of", not "the succession of"
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

Michael-liu 寫:
Kooper 寫:
Kooper 寫:...
0:06~0:57
The United States and Russia have announced a plan calling for ceasefire in Syria as soon as Monday. If the truce holds and other conditions are met, NPR's xxx reports, the two nations plan to coordinate efforts to defeat ISIS and the Al Qaeda affiliate in Syria.

Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian foreign minister xxx said implementation will begin on September 12 with the succession(?) of hostilities between regime and the opposition. Under the deal the Syrian air force will not fly combat missions in areas where the opposition is present, areas which would be designated by the US and Russia. And both regime and opposition must allow access for aid. Xxx said if the truce and aid access hold for seven days, the US and Russia will create a joint information center to coordinate air strikes on ISIS and the Syrian Al Qaeda affiliate.
succession is correct. However, according to the dictionary, I think it should be "a succession of", not "the succession of"

it sounds like "the" to me.. is it possible "the" succession of hostilities between "the" regime and their opposition??
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

Luis Ko 寫:
Michael-liu 寫:
it sounds like "the" to me.. is it possible "the" succession of hostilities between "the" regime and their opposition??
I think the speaker combined the sounds of "with" and "a", that is why it sounds like "the"
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

文章 Kat C »

It's "the cessation of hostilities."

"Implementation will begin on September 12, with the cessation of hostilities between the regime and the opposition."
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

Kat C 寫:It's "the cessation of hostilities."

"Implementation will begin on September 12, with the cessation of hostilities between the regime and the opposition."

cessation, i didn't know it.. :drink:

thank Kat for letting us know the answer, or we would never know it haa~ :mrgreen:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

Luis, you're very welcome. You guys were doing great! :D
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Thank you Kat for helping us out. You are the one! :lol: No wonder I keep feeling that our original version "a/the succession of" doesn't seem quite right. Now I know why I felt that way. The concept of "implementation of ceasefire" actually conflicts with "a series of hostilities between the two groups." :mrgreen:

Is it possible you also shed some light on another part of the news that have puzzled us for a long time? In the last piece of news on Volkswagen emission cheating scandal, what are the words in the two blanks? :? We've had a hard time reaching a conclusion on what they are. :ccry:

4:20 ~ end
A Volkswagen engineer in Detroit __ _____ to cooperate with investigators, looking into the auto makers’ emission cheating scandal.
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

Hi Kooper,

Sure!

"A Volkswagen engineer in Detroit is agreeing to cooperate with investigators, looking into the automaker's emission-cheating scandal."
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Thank you Kat!

It turns out none of us got it right... :?
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

You were really close. :)
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

Thank you, Kat

I looked up the dictionary, and it also says "a cessation of hostilities"

So, I am wondering if it should be "a" here in this news, instead of "the"

I understand this question is too trivial and unimportant. Just wondering, haha
頭像
Kat C

文章 Kat C »

Michael, it's a good question!

Here it is "the," and the reason is how "the" and "a" are usually used: the former when for a specific case, and the latter for a general situation.

Hope it helps! :D

Kat
回覆文章