頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

The "lip service" culture of Taipei's 7-Eleven

文章 technobabel »

Few years ago, one morning while the sky was still rather dark, I stepped into a 7-Eleven for the first time. As soon as the automatic door slides open, I heard the clerk said somethng to me but I did not hear him correctly for the first time. I kinda squint my eyes (due to the brightness of the indoor lightning) and wonder if he said "good morning" to me. Later I realize it's the welcoming/greeting "magic phrase".

In this job market, when the Taiwanese corporate management say "jump", it's employee will probably just say "how high?"
That is besides the point. The truth is most of us go into 7-Eleven not because of its friendly clerk, but because we need to buy something fast. The magic phrase will not make us buy more stuff. Don't expect to butter me up with that lip service. (Unless the clerk is very pretty. In that case, the clerk need not say anything.)

Let's not underestimate the hidden power of "lip service". I don't know... it might have a very profound positive effect on this community.
Stepping out of 7-Eleven, the drug store Watson's took the power of lip service on to another level. They bombard your hearing with a loud speaker in an direct attempt to "brain-wash" you to buy their limited time bargain.

That is one of the striking feature of Taipei city. Enough is enough, but really, who am I to complain?
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
回覆文章