be charged with, be prosecuted for, be indicted for

回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

be charged with, be prosecuted for, be indicted for

文章 Kooper »

Is there any difference when we say someone is charged with a crime, is prosecuted for a crime, or is indicted for a crime?
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1483
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: be charged with, be prosecuted for, be indicted for

文章 Sherry Liao »

Today, when I was reading the digest, this thread just came across my mind. Though it does not answer the question, there are some criminal prosecution-related terms in the paragraph that I think is worth a read:

按照法律程序,一個犯罪嫌疑人(suspect)如果犯行重大,或者屬於現行犯,可能會遭到逮捕(to be arrested)、受到羈押(to be taken into custody),然後可能遭到正式起訴(to be formally charged, indicted),然後等待開庭(a court trial),如果在庭上被判有罪(to be found guilty, to be convicted),接著就要判刑(to be sentenced)。

以這名英國人來說,He was convicted and sentenced to death for smuggling heroine and now faces execution. (他走私海洛英的罪名成立,被判極刑,如今將面對死亡。)

http://tw.digest.news.yahoo.com/article/digest_20091223
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

My foreign friend says they are the same.

He also said that I definitely can find similiar things in Chinese.

For example, in 「他被控謀殺」and 「他因涉嫌謀殺而被起訴」, are 被控 and 被起訴 the same? To me, the answer is yes. But I am pretty sure that someone who is better in Chinese would tell me that they are different in some ways.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

yeah, i think 被控 and 被起訴 are the same in Chinese, agree with you, Rock

And yes, the meanings of all these three expressions are the same, just that "indicted for" is Amrecian English, according to the Longman dictionary

Michael
回覆文章