Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

這句話該怎麼翻呢?

文章 Michael-liu »

Hi, All

There is an expression in English, which is " Don't patronize me! "

According to Longman dictionary, to patronize means " to talk to someone in a way which seems friendly but shows that you think they are not as intelligent or do not know as much as you "

I can not think of a good way to translate it into Chinese. The best I can come up with is "別哄我! " or "別唬弄我!"

Any better ideas? Let's brainstorm

Michael
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 這句話該怎麼翻呢?

文章 Rock »

Michael-liu 寫: The best I can come up with is "別哄我! " or "別唬弄我!"
I cannot think of any clues for this. Yours sounds good, but not perfect yet. Guess we'd need someone who is good in Chinese.
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

Hey, Rock

After reading your post, an idea came across to my mind all of a sudden!!

How about "別把我當三歲小孩!!" ??

Michael writing in the CKS airport
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

My GRE teacher said it meant 以屈尊俯就的態度對待某人.
Mountain
YOYO member
文章: 10
註冊時間: 週五 3月 19, 2010 5:47 pm

文章 Mountain »

How about "少來!其實你心裡瞧不起我吧!"?

MT
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

i like MT's idea, 少瞧不起我!

and mine is 別小觀(看)我! 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

It's good to see many people putting in different ideas

We can have a vote. Which one do you think is the best?

Michael
頭像
wenhan1122
Vice President
文章: 175
註冊時間: 週三 8月 20, 2008 3:29 pm

文章 wenhan1122 »

Michael-liu 寫:Hi, All

There is an expression in English, which is " Don't patronize me! "

According to Longman dictionary, to patronize means " to talk to someone in a way which seems friendly but shows that you think they are not as intelligent or do not know as much as you "

I can not think of a good way to translate it into Chinese. The best I can come up with is "別哄我! " or "別唬弄我!"

Any better ideas? Let's brainstorm

Michael
I saw the same statement in a movie. Your translation is actually very close to the sub-title which I had seen in the movie.
It was "不要敷衍我"
The real peace is not merely the absence of warfare, but the presence of justice
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

Hi, Wenhan

Yeah, this expression appears in the movie quite often. I saw it in the movie "Crash"(衝擊效應) too

別敷衍我 is indeed a good translation too

Michael
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

I have different thoughts from those of Wen-han and Michael. iI do not hink "patronize" has the sense of "敷衍".
Based on the definition of an English defintion in the dictionary, I would trandslate the phrase into "少擺高姿態"
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
頭像
wenhan1122
Vice President
文章: 175
註冊時間: 週三 8月 20, 2008 3:29 pm

文章 wenhan1122 »

Wayne 寫:I have different thoughts from those of Wen-han and Michael. iI do not hink "patronize" has the sense of "敷衍".
Based on the definition of an English defintion in the dictionary, I would trandslate the phrase into "少擺高姿態"
The same question was asked on Yahoo Answer too,
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 547AAiTrUN
This answer is similar to Wayne's point

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 648AAJC7M0
This one raises a different meaning
The question asked "in a situation where someone is pretending to be agreeing with you but in fact s/he doesn't"
The real peace is not merely the absence of warfare, but the presence of justice
頭像
Wayne

文章 Wayne »

敷衍: fudge (avoid giving a clear decision or answer)
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

男人的什麼讓女人又恨又愛?答案是「甜言蜜語」。為什麼呢?因為女生一方面覺得聽了很受用,一方面又很氣男人每每將自己當作三歲小孩哄騙,所以當然又愛又恨啦。尤其當男人犯錯時(例如劈腿)或是心虛時(例如忘了情人的生日),所說的甜言蜜語更應該提防,這時不妨告訴他:Don’t think I don’t know what’s going on.(別以為我不知道你在搞什麼鬼)、或者更直接一點:Don’t patronize me!(別哄我!別呼嚨我!),讓他知道女人可不是傻瓜!

A: Honey, here’s a dozen roses because I had to work late.

B: Don't patronize me! I know you were out at the bar.

A: 親愛的,我加班晚了,這是補償妳的十二朵玫瑰。

B: 少來這套啦!我知道你是去酒吧鬼混啦。

**以上轉載自黃玟君老師英語學習網誌 http://blog.udn.com/profhuang/3630432

I think all of our translations are somewhat correct. There is no fixed answer. It all depends on the context.

Also, I figure this expression is mostly used between wife and husband or boy friend and girl friend

Michael
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

文章 Kat C »

I am just having fun going over old SOS postings (guess I'm missing you guys too much!!! :wink: ) and can't help getting my two cents in.

"Don't patronize me" is widely used in any kind of heated argument. It's considered "fighting words", meaning you're not concerned about offending the other side at this point (or are even deliberately provoking them). You are implying that they are either: 1) telling lies, or 2) fudging the issue, to get away with things. In some cases, you are saying that they are overly protective - as if treating you like a child. For example, when you think someone is withholding information from you in their attempt to shield you from certain cruel reality, and you think they're wrong in doing so, you may accuse them of patronizing you.

Among all the ideas mentioned, I'd go with "別把我當三歲小孩". "別以為你能瞞得過我", "別以為我不懂", "別以為我那麼好騙", "你以為我是白癡嗎?" will all work too. In English it's very close to saying, "Do you think I'm stupid?"

Hope it helps! :D
P.S. I'm in MI at the moment visiting family. A belated Happy Moon Festival to all!
頭像
Wayne

文章 Wayne »

My two bits: Don't patronize me. 你少"消遣"我; of course here "消遣" doesn't mean "amuse" because of the tone.
回覆文章