回覆文章
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Ask Kat: rise to the occasion

文章 Michael-liu »

Hi, Kat

I heard this expression- "rise to the occasion" from the sitcom - Everybody loves Raymond.

Although I can find its meaning in Longman, but I would like to ask you if it is commonly used and in what context or situation we can use it

Thanks
Michael
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Ask Kat: rise to the occasion

文章 Kat C »

Hi Michael,

It's a great idiom and very useful in both speech and writing! First you need to have a tough challenge or situation, or more positively, an important "occasion" such as a big opportunity. Next you need to meet or even exceed the expectations with your performance - hence the "rise" image. People are impressed because you can understandably fail or at least struggle in that situation. This expression can be used when speculating on an outcome (will she rise to the occasion?) or praising someone's good work (she's certainly risen to the occasion!).

More examples:
1. It's been said many times that heroes are simply ordinary, everyday people that rise to the occasion at precisely the right time.

2. He's tough. When the pressure's on and the stakes are high, he will rise to the occasion.
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Kat,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. So, maybe we can translate this expression into "衝破難關". What do you think? :D

Mike
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

文章 Kat C »

Man, it's a toughie! :idea: OK. 衝破難關 can certainly describe some situations. Depending on the context, 不負重望、達成使命、把握機遇、迎接挑戰、戰勝挑戰、超越自我、臨危不亂、通過考驗... also characterize the expression in different ways.
回覆文章