回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Ask Kat: up here, over here, out here

文章 Kooper »

Dear Kat and YOYO members,

I just realized that we can put IN, UP, OVER, OUT in front of HERE. After looking up dictionaries, I got to know that when we use "in here" rather than "here" to mean in this place, the place has to be a closed space such as a room. How about UP HERE, OVER HERE, OUT HERE? I got some sentences from dictionaries (those in bold type)"but am still confused when to use them.

- What was she doing up here in the woods? : Is there any difference in meaning if I say "What was she doing here in the woods?"

- Come on. I'm over here.: Any difference if I say "Come on. I'm here."

- It's freezing cold out here.: Does "out here" mean that the speaker is outside a building in an open space?

- When do we say "down here"? I found no sentences in the dictionaries...

Thanks for help.
Kooper
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Ask Kat: up here, over here, out here

文章 Kat C »

Hi Kooper,

Good question! A lot of times a preposition before "here" (or "there") denotes certain emphasis: "OVER here!" sounds stronger than simply "here!" "Over" also implies "coming across a distance", so you clearly want the other person to "come over" when you say that.

"Up here" and "down here" show your relative latitude to another place. The northern part of a state will be referred to by people more to the south as "up there".

"Up here" can also point to a higher altitude. "Up here in the woods" can be in the mountains.

"Out here" can indeed mean out in the open or in the wild. It can also mean the speaker is (far) away from the usual place or certain reference point. If we got to talk to Steve during his trip, and he went, "it's freezing cold out here!", there's a strong sense that he's away from all of us and in an exotic place - which he was! :D

Kat
頭像
Leon
YOYO member
文章: 256
註冊時間: 週日 5月 30, 2004 9:55 am

文章 Leon »

Great explanation!
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Hi Kat,

Thanks a lot for answering my questions. Your explanation is very helpful! :D

In Steve's case can I ask him "How is the weather out there"?
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

文章 Kat C »

Hi Kooper,

You're very welcome.

Yes. "How is the weather out there?" is perfect!

Happy Holidays!

Kat
Carrie Wu
YOYO member
文章: 5
註冊時間: 週四 3月 19, 2009 12:01 pm

文章 Carrie Wu »

awesome over here! they like it stronger..
回覆文章