Thank you so much to help about grammar.

回覆文章
Angelaaa
文章: 8
註冊時間: 週一 11月 30, 2009 9:12 am

Thank you so much to help about grammar.

文章 Angelaaa »

Hello, Dear YoYo's friends,

My English for writing and speaking are OK, I must pass the paper exam. to obtain the career after Chinese New Year.
English grammar is my weakness, but I have to overcome it within the short period.

For example:
Q: Although the farmers had to work in the mud, they were all pleased, _____ the rain had come in the nick of time.
(a) saying (b) say (c) said (d) to say

A: (a) saying

Actually, I did not know why the answer is "saying". As I refer from YoYo forum, believe YoYos are kind & nice.
For people whom can answer me :sssmile: the good method/way (I have attended the grammar class that is not working to me :cccry: )
to improve my grammar, thanks so much to you all.

Happy New Year.
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

Re: Thank you so much to help about grammar.

文章 Wayne »

When you are adding extra information, you often add a "non-defining" relative clause, in which you have a comma before the relative clause and there is another comma after the relative clause if the relative clause is placed in the middle of the entire sentence. The patterns are like these (say, the sentence starts with a main clause):

main clause, relative clause.
main clause, relative clause, the rest of the main clause or an adverbial clause.

Now, in your case, the original entire sentence should look like this:
Although the farmers had to work in the mud, they were all pleased, who said the rain had come in the nick of time.

However, it is possible to use a participle structure to replace the relative clause, where you omit the relative pronoun and change the main verb in the relative clause into a participle. Since the verb in the relative clause is in the active voice, you change the verb into a present participle (omit both the relative noun and the verb to be if the verb in the relative clause is in the passive voice).

Consequently, the sentence above turns into:
Although the farmers had to work in the mud, they were all pleased, saying the rain had come in the nick of time.
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
Angelaaa

文章 Angelaaa »

Wayne 寫:When you are adding extra information, you often add a "non-defining" relative clause, in which you have a comma before the relative clause and there is another comma after the relative clause if the relative clause is placed in the middle of the entire sentence. The patterns are like these (say, the sentence starts with a main clause):

main clause, relative clause.
main clause, relative clause, the rest of the main clause or an adverbial clause.

Now, in your case, the original entire sentence should look like this:
Although the farmers had to work in the mud, they were all pleased, who said the rain had come in the nick of time.

However, it is possible to use a participle structure to replace the relative clause, where you omit the relative pronoun and change the main verb in the relative clause into a participle. Since the verb in the relative clause is in the active voice, you change the verb into a present participle (omit both the relative noun and the verb to be if the verb in the relative clause is in the passive voice).

Consequently, the sentence above turns into:
Although the farmers had to work in the mud, they were all pleased, saying the rain had come in the nick of time.

知道嘛? 我的文法老師說的, 我真的是聽的霧煞煞 :mrgreen: .

YoYo 的朋友, 您們好福氣有Wayne老師及其他英文讚的會員.

Thanks so much teacher Wayne :D .
頭像
Wayne

文章 Wayne »

Angelaaa 寫:

My pleasure and thanks for your compliments.
Wayne 寫: Now, in your case, the original entire sentence should look like this:
Again, the original entire sentence could look like this:
Although the farmers had to work in the mud, they, who said the rain had come in the nick of time, were all pleased.

Here's another tip for you.
You cannot call your teacher whose last name is, say, Wang, Teacher Wang because, unlike "Mr./Ms./Mrs.", "teacher" is not a "vocative".

There's no such thing as calling me Teacher Wayne. Simply call me Wayne.

Similarly, "manager" is not a "vocative", either. Therefore, you cannot say Manager Wang; rather, you should say Mr./Ms./Mrs. Wang. (The last name here cannot be substituted by a first name.)
Angelaaa

文章 Angelaaa »

Wayne 寫:
Angelaaa 寫:

My pleasure and thanks for your compliments.
Wayne 寫: Now, in your case, the original entire sentence should look like this:
Again, the original entire sentence could look like this:
Although the farmers had to work in the mud, they, who said the rain had come in the nick of time, were all pleased.

Here's another tip for you.
You cannot call your teacher whose last name is, say, Wang, Teacher Wang because, unlike "Mr./Ms./Mrs.", "teacher" is not a "vocative".

There's no such thing as calling me Teacher Wayne. Simply call me Wayne.

Similarly, "manager" is not a "vocative", either. Therefore, you cannot say Manager Wang; rather, you should say Mr./Ms./Mrs. Wang. (The last name here cannot be substituted by a first name.)

Wayne老師真是有教無類 :cccry: ,
再次謝謝您的指導 :yes: .

YoYos 都可以po到forum regarding your tips about English grammar,
但Angelaaa要認真唸書, 拼~了 :sun: ~! 就沒辦法回覆, sorry 啦 :ssmile: .
頭像
Wayne

文章 Wayne »

Angelaaa 寫:
Wayne老師真是有教無類 :cccry: ,
再次謝謝您的指導 :yes: .

YoYos 都可以po到forum regarding your tips about English grammar,
但Angelaaa要認真唸書, 拼~了 :sun: ~! 就沒辦法回覆, sorry 啦 :ssmile: .
You're most welcome!

Come and join our meetings when you're free.
回覆文章