How to say 好為人師 in English

回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

How to say 好為人師 in English

文章 Kooper »

As title. I wonder how to use a concise phrase or sentence to express the behavior of 好為人師 in English. Anybody can help?
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: How to say 好為人師 in English

文章 Rock »

Firstly, it's a negative term. It's not supposed to be "I love being a teacher". (Not for me, at least.)

I guess there is no perfect translation for "好為人師" because of the culture difference. Being a teacher seems not a big deal in the west; they don't worship any teachers. (Why do we deify Confucius, anyway?) The best word I can think of is "patronize".

But, maybe Kooper would think I'm patronizing him because he already knows this word?
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

According to one of my resources:
好為人師:
1. be fond of teaching others
2. have a tendency to sermonize people
3. like to be a master to others
4. like to lecture other people
5. presumptuously to lecture people
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
Tina Sun
YOYO member
文章: 414
註冊時間: 週三 10月 02, 2013 3:23 pm

文章 Tina Sun »

To be frankly, I didn't know what it means (I mean in Chinese...) when I saw this "idiom(?)'"~~ Hahaha.... :roll:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Tina Sun 寫:To be frankly, I didn't know what it means (I mean in Chinese...) when I saw this "idiom(?)'"~~ Hahaha.... :roll:
Amazing! Generation gap is real! :lol:
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Wayne 寫:According to one of my resources:
好為人師:
1. be fond of teaching others
2. have a tendency to sermonize people
3. like to be a master to others
4. like to lecture other people
5. presumptuously to lecture people
Hi Wayne,
Welcome back! While I had been wondering for a while where you and Claire had gone, It's great to hear from you again.

Thank you for answering my question with varied answers. To me, 好為人師 seems to be a negative term in most cases, unless I use it sarcastically to refer to someone who is a good teacher and enjoys teaching. Of course I need to keep a right tone in such case so that people don't get confused.

I think Rock is right about the translation - there is possibly no perfect translation of the term in English. My feeling of this Chinese phrase, when it has a negative connotation, is a combination of both #4 and #3 .

An alternative to #3 that I have in mind is "like to play masters to others." Does it sound good to you?
最後由 Kooper 於 週六 10月 18, 2014 10:08 am 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
頭像
Wayne

文章 Wayne »

Hi Kooper,
I have been extremely busy at my work and that's why.

" 好為人師 seems to be a negative term in most cases" Indeed. Therefore, there's no way that you use it sarcastically .

"Rock is right about the translation - there is possibly no perfect translation of the term in English." -- You bet.

"like to play masters to others" I don't think such collocation exists. :shock:

I like #2: "have a tendency to sermonize people".

I have another alternative expression of my own: someone "often wants to coach others how to do someting." Can we say he is "很八婆"? (Sort of?) :wink:
頭像
Wayne

文章 Wayne »

How about "free advice giver"?
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Rock 寫:Firstly, it's a negative term. It's not supposed to be "I love being a teacher". (Not for me, at least.)

I guess there is no perfect translation for "好為人師" because of the culture difference. Being a teacher seems not a big deal in the west; they don't worship any teachers. (Why do we deify Confucius, anyway?) The best word I can think of is "patronize".

But, maybe Kooper would think I'm patronizing him because he already knows this word?
Not at all, Rock. You made me look up the definition of the word again and improve my English!
回覆文章