i'm difficult la. don't take it personally.

回覆文章
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

i'm difficult la. don't take it personally.

文章 Luis Ko »

my friend.. yeah, it's my friend's question. the scenario is like that - he asked a girl out, but the girl told him she had made plans already. of course my friend felt quite disappointed, then the girl replied, "i'm difficult la. don't take it personally."

"i'm difficult la. don't take it personally."

so, what dose it mean :?:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: i'm difficult la. don't take it personally.

文章 Kooper »

Well, before answering your question, please allow me to ask one question... (don't get pissed off please... :wink: )

Are you asking a question about English or ask us to decrypt the lady's hidden message?
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Kooper 寫: Are you asking a question about English or ask us to decrypt the lady's hidden message?
Right, I am wondering too... :)
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Since it happened in Taiwan, I suppose they speak Mandarin Chinese.

Possible backward translation: 我很難追啦!不是你的問題,請勿在意。

She is encouraging people to try harder. Go ahead and Shoot for the star now, bro. :lol:
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

English.. about English of course, it's an English question la~ i wanted to know the translation. i hadn't known that "difficult" can be used to describe a person before i read this.. :oops:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
CarmenTao
YOYO member
文章: 94
註冊時間: 週四 6月 19, 2008 9:51 am
來自: 內湖

文章 CarmenTao »

"我本來就比較難搞(or 機車),不是針對你啦!"
有時候工作上我有所堅持的時候,我也會說 I'm not being difficult. I just want to....
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Rock 寫:Since it happened in Taiwan, I suppose they speak Mandarin Chinese.

Possible backward translation: 我很難追啦!不是你的問題,請勿在意。

She is encouraging people to try harder. Go ahead and Shoot for the star now, bro. :lol:
1. Rock's twisted translation is killing me....hahaha. You are always so creative......ORZ

2. Carmen's translation is very correct. When people say someone is "difficult", it means he or she is 龜毛
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

So it's not about love? I thought everything is about love. :?
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

both of them are good. i will just choose to combine them as, "我本來就比較難搞(or 機車),不是你的問題,請勿在意。" :lol:
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Have any of you heard of this one:

He / She is impossible.

Can I also translate it into "他/她很難搞"? Or... what does it mean :?:
頭像
CarmenTao
YOYO member
文章: 94
註冊時間: 週四 6月 19, 2008 9:51 am
來自: 內湖

文章 CarmenTao »

她很難追
That's what I have thought it means. Please correct me if necessary.
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

I guess "impossible" is used to emphasize that he/she is not just "difficult", but "impossible" to deal with or to get along with. 也就是說, difficult 已經不足以形容她的難搞, 所以用impossible 形容. I think it is not necessarily to mean "she is hard to chase", can just mean her personality.

Please also correct me if necessary
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Maybe the meaning depends on the context. The following is from The New York Times obituary for Chiang Kai-Shek, in which Joseph Stilwell described Chiang as “impossible”:

…… Chiang's backing and filling infuriated General Stilwell. He often referred to the generalissimo in private as "the Peanut," and now his diary contained such phrases as "that hickory nut he uses for a head." "He is impossible," the general wrote at one point.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general ... /1031.html
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

Sherry Liao 寫:Maybe the meaning depends on the context. The following is from The New York Times obituary for Chiang Kai-Shek, in which Joseph Stilwell described Chiang as “impossible”:

…… Chiang's backing and filling infuriated General Stilwell. He often referred to the generalissimo in private as "the Peanut," and now his diary contained such phrases as "that hickory nut he uses for a head." "He is impossible," the general wrote at one point.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general ... /1031.html
史迪威(Stilwell)將軍和蔣介石的不合與討厭對方, 在歷史上是出了名的, 所以史迪威在他的日記裡說蔣介石"He is impossible", 用現今的口語說, 就是"他超級機車的!"
回覆文章