10 chick flick cliches

回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

10 chick flick cliches

文章 Kooper »

Here is a hilarious video clip about ten chick flick cliches that are not in the movie HE IS JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU. Enjoy it.

頭像
toshi
YOYO member
文章: 1383
註冊時間: 週日 7月 27, 2008 8:26 pm
聯繫:

Re: 10 chick flick cliches

文章 toshi »

This is fun! Really fun! :lol:
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1483
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Hmm... it is kind of weird to hear the wording "chick flick" from a respectable here. Maybe it is a neutral term, I don't know, but somehow it sounds a little bit offensive to me.

Also, gentlemen, I don't think it is fun at all to make fun of the stereotyped expressions of the so-called "women's films" (i.e. chick flicks, as you mentioned). The way I see it, the video tries to encourage guys to go to a theater with their gal, in a way women might disagree.
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Sherry Liao 寫:Hmm... it is kind of weird to hear the wording "chick flick" from a respectable here. Maybe it is a neutral term, I don't know, but somehow it sounds a little bit offensive to me.

Also, gentlemen, I don't think it is fun at all to make fun of the stereotyped expressions of the so-called "women's films" (i.e. chick flicks, as you mentioned). The way I see it, the video tries to encourage guys to go to a theater with their gal, in a way women might disagree.
Dear Sherry,

Take it easy please!
I feel it's fun...only 'cos I really can see these characters in many movies.
It's nothing about "women". ^_^
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

toshi 寫:
Sherry Liao 寫:Hmm... it is kind of weird to hear the wording "chick flick" from a respectable here. Maybe it is a neutral term, I don't know, but somehow it sounds a little bit offensive to me.

Dear Sherry,

Take it easy please!
I agree with Sherry. Why take it easy?

According to Macmillan Dictionary, the word "chick" is considered offensive. In particular, when someone has already felt uncomfortable, how could you say, "Take it easy?" You've got know not everybody thinks it's fun. If you complain for being offended and someone else ask you to take it easy, will you?

Whoever use the word "chick" to refer to a woman does not show respect to her. Maybe she doesn't care, but others may feel offended.

Please respect those who do not like the use of the word "chick".
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Wayne 寫:
toshi 寫:

Dear Sherry,

Take it easy please!
I agree with Sherry. Why take it easy?

According to Macmillan Dictionary, the word "chick" is considered offensive. In particular, when someone has already felt uncomfortable, how could you say, "Take it easy?" You've got know not everybody thinks it's fun. If you complain for being offended and someone else ask you to take it easy, will you?

Whoever use the word "chick" to refer to a woman does not show respect to her. Maybe she doesn't care, but others may feel offended.

Please respect those who do not like the use of the word "chick".
I see!
I am sorry if I ever made anyone felt uncomfortable.
I apologize for my careless comment.
Really sorry about it!
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Now I learned that CHICK is considered offensive to some people. What about CHICK FLICK? Is CHICK FLICK also an offensive term? I looked up dictionaries but didn't see any comments about offensiveness.

Macmillan: a film intended especially for women, often about a romantic relationship [informal]
Cambridge: a film about relationsips, romance, etc that attracts mainly women [informal humorous]
Collins COBUILD: a chick flick is a romantic film that is not very serious and is intended to appeal to women. [informal]

The video clip is put on the website of the movie He Is Just Not That into YOU as part of their advertisement. http://www.hesjustnotthatintoyoumovie.com/ I thought it was safe to use the term CHICK FLICK since it was unlikely that the movie company would risk offending their target audience.

Obviously I was wrong.

I would like to say sorry to anyone who have been offended by this video clip or the title. I myself will avoid using this term from now on.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

Yes, both "chick" and "chick flicks" is potentially offensive to some people.
You shouldn't have to check the dictionary to confirm that.
The problem is that their usage is too wide spread and "accepted"
Most everybody just roll their eyes when the hear a term like this and learn to deal with it.
What else can you do? It would be too silly to start a riot protest over a simple word usage.
Besides the more you protest, the more people will choose to use these terms.
The world does not choose their words carefully to accommodate the most sensitive.
The most sensitive soon or later realizes that the world does not revolve around their sensitivity.

Besides, non native speakers aren't exactly in the best position to establish community standard.
We have no choice but to go along and let them fight it out.
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
Georgia
YOYO member
文章: 480
註冊時間: 週三 11月 07, 2007 11:49 pm

文章 Georgia »

As a non-native speaker, there are still some ways to find out what terms could be taken
as an offense by reading as many various materials as you can and analyze yourself what
kinds of people use what sorts of language.

The term "chick flick" is certainly the so-called "urban language", of which the definitions
you can see in the "Urban Dictionary". It derived from the subculture, therefore we can
tell that "chick flick" is not proper language, and shouldn't be used in proper language.
However sometimes we see it, or, we have to use it. In my case, I'd just let myself
learn to understand what it is indicating, but avoid to use it in a serious conversation
or an essay. In fact, I'd use a quote to separate it from my own language if I had to use it in
an essay.

It's a universal fact that if you call a female person a "chick", it's very offensive. It means
this female pays attention to nothing but her good look and nice figure, which is also the
only features a male would care. What's under the skull won't be an issue, or worse, empty.

Therefore a "chick flick" means the kind of movie that is so stupid, meaningless that brainless
women can understand and still think it's a good piece. A movie for very "simple" women.

I'm sure it wasn't Kooper's intention to offend anyone here. He was just forwarding
an information that has been passed around for a while in foreign countries. It's a part of
the western culture, whether you like it or not, it's better to be aware of it. This doesn't
mean we have to use it as well, but to avoid doing/saying the same thing we do not appreciate
others do/say to us, by mistake.

Then again, the cliches in "chick flicks" are funny, I must admit, and I believe the person
who first came up with this list was trying to tease the film producers whose inspiration
is running dry, not to dare irritate zillions of female around the world. Perhaps it was a
she who made up the list, who knows?

Let's not take it too personal when we come across informations like this, or else life can be
really unhappy... imagine this, a Taiwanese girl feel offended in her teens because the media
called her "草莓族"; when she moved on to her twenties, she's part of the so-called "輕熟女";
after she celebrated her thirtieth birthday, she's a member of the "熟女" group; when she finally
reached her forties, the tag that says "師奶/歐巴桑" follows her everywhere she goes like a
stamp to a letter. If she always takes these names too seriously, she'd rarely be happy or satisfied
with herself and the society.

You know, I once dreamed of slapping 羅百吉 in the face when he sang "I don't wanna see no 歐巴桑".
On second thought, why bother to do such an ungraceful act? What I needed to do was not to
listen to any of his words. My point is, I would not feel offended unless someone calls me those
names in my face. If people are just talking about something that includes such usage, it's just
another information.
最後由 Georgia 於 週四 3月 05, 2009 10:26 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
Wayne

文章 Wayne »

I agree with Georgia with the usage of the word “chick” too. If you are offended, you are offended. Whoever uses offensive language is deemed uncivilized, but you don't necessarily sue him. However, it doesn't mean offensive language is accepted. It may not be a right-or-wrong issue or has anything to do with education; it's personal culture based one's moral standard. Maybe there's no moral standard in some people's world.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

I didn't anticipate that things would have been getting so serious... :o That's not my intention.

For me, this is always a lovely forum where I can express my own opinions without hesitation. I am happy to learn different opinions from other people. It's also a treat to argue with people with different opinions.

Thanks to Wayne for speaking for me. Wayne is always like a shelter for the minorities. I feel really warm. And...... oops, I think it is going to be a bit embarrassing when I meet you guys next week... I hope it's not go to be getting too embarrassing.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

In the end you may have to choose your own level of discomfort towards the word "chick" that suits you best.
Perhaps now is a good time for us to direct our attention to the rhyming aspect of the certain "popular" English phrases.
Lucky us that somebody had already compiled a nice long list of phrases that rhymes.
Q: Will there be any offensive materials? A: I am afraid so. Be ready to squint and look away.
http://people.scs.fsu.edu/~burkardt/fun ... bitty.html
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

The reason I think the phrase "chick flick" is offensive is because, as we know "chick flick" refers to a genre of movies, which usually has a bad reputation, with simple plot, always happy-ended, romance-related, usually considered stupid and as a no-brainer. With the naming of "chick", I think it implies, with disrespect, that those films belong to women, that women dig those films. That's quite annoying.

Actually I had made a google search on the internet and found I was not the only person annoyed by this phrase. The following links contain a few discussions/opinions regarding phrase "chick flick":

Women`s Issues - Why are these terms considered offensive?
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Women-s-Issu ... ensive.htm

It's not a chick flick, but it is a damn good movie
http://eddieonfilm.blogspot.com/2008/11 ... -good.html

Are you OK with the term "chick flick"?
http://blogs.pioneerlocal.com/entertain ... chick.html

You will find more opinions simply by googling the internet.
頭像
Wayne

文章 Wayne »

Hi, Sherry, I am glad you brought it up and voiced your opinion which received positive echoes. Otherwise, some people often think nobody objects to the obnoxious choice of words or the likes. Of course, you cannot stop it and have to live with it, but at least you've spoken for those who don't like it.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

The word "chick" in Chick Flick caricaturally captures the essence of every inner-child of every female audience. The fairy-tale elements in the romantic comedy/Chick Flick appeals to those inner-child. Hollywood makes it too easy for those with lower than average IQ to enjoy these type of movies, those with higher IQ may feel a bit out of place. Only fools fall in love and you sort of need to be a fool to identify with that experience. Romantic comedy is in a way a caricaturation of real life romance that may not be so romantic. But let's not forget that Chick Flick does deal with human nature and human nature can be seemingly simple on the surface and yet very sophisiticated underneath. In the end we can conclude that Chick Flick 始終來自於人性.

There are those whom throw around the phrase Chick Flick, do so to demostrate that their taste in movie are too well developed and refined. In reality they are just being macho, and that may not be so sustainable. Like Anakin Skywalker soon or later he too will succumb to the power of the dark side or in this case the power of Chick Flick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caricature
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

Here is a song for those whom like to pretend that they have out grown Chick Flicks.

Look around you, look up here
Take time to make time, make time to be there
Look around, be a part
Feel for the winter, but don't have a cold heart

And I love you best
You're not like the rest
You're there when I need you
You're there when I need
I'm gonna need you

A long time ago I had a lady to love
She made me think of things I never thought of
Now she's gone and I'm on my own
A love song has come into my mind
A love song, it was there all the time

So lady, let me take a look at you now
You're there on the dance floor, making me want you somehow
Oh lady, I think it's only fair I should say to you
Don't be thinkin' that I don't want you, 'cause maybe I do

Look around, come to me
I have no answers, but know where I wanna be
I look around, play a part
I was born in the winter and cooled by a warm heart

And I love you best
You're not like the rest
You're there when I need you
You're there when I need
I'm gonna need you

So lady, let me take a look at you now
You're there on the dance floor, making me want you somehow
Oh lady, I think it's only fair I should say to you
Don't be thinkin' that I don't want you, 'cause maybe I do
Don't be thinkin' that I don't want you, lady I do
回覆文章