頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

ISG 0510 Miss Potter - chapter 1

文章 chiron »

Dear diligent ISG members:
Originally, I planned to read only 3 chapters in a time, but after starting it, I found we may have “more” to discuss. Therefore, let’s try to read only the first chapter and see how it works in our Sunday morning meeting. If it’s too easy, maybe we can add the assignment to 3 or more chapters next time. Below is my questions for you, it may help you understand the 1st chapter better:

General questions:
1.Please summarize the first chapter.
2.Most characters of this book have already showed up in the 1st chapter, including Miss Potter herself (Beatrix Potter), her father (Ruppert Potter), her mother (Helen Potter), her young brother (Bertram Potter), her chaperone (Miss Wiggin), the coachman (Saunders), and the publishers (Harold and Fruing Warne). Please choose some of them to describe their personalities.
3.Pls pick few “genius” sentences in the 1st chapter. It may not include unfamiliar words. For instance: Beatrix struggled with the carriage window, and finally did it open.
4.Pick the regular vocabularies.
5.Please summarize the “whole” book. (This is only for Sherry. I know you are a quick reader. ^_^)

Detailed questions:
1.Why does it say, “Beatrix’s trip to the offices of F. Warne and Co. had not started well” on page 8?
2.On page 10, why did Messrs Potter’s secretary roll his eyes and stress, “Miss Potter, indeed”?
3.Why did Fruing Warne decide to publish Miss Potter’s books?
4.Why didn’t Miss Wiggin like the Potter Family?
5.On page 16, Why does it say, “Everything is a metaphor”?
6.What’s the nicknames of Miss Potter and her brother?
7.Why did Rupert have a frequent headache?
8.On page 21, why did Miss Potter say, “when I’m a published author, the we shall see” ? Who will see and what will they see?

Meeting questions:
These questions are for discussion on Sunday morning. You don’t have to answer them on our forum.
1.According to the preface, the author Richard Maltby is inspired by another book whose cover is recorded with a brief introduction of Miss Potter’s autobiography. It says Potter stopped writing stories after she moved to the Lake District and got married instead of the opposite expectation. What’s your opinion about it? Why does a happy marriage “kill” creation?
2.On page 7, it says Miss Potter’s life is altered by a moment so innocent one may not even noticed that it has happened. Do you have the same experience? When is the insignificant turning point of your life?
3.As Harold Warne asked Miss Potter how did she imagine those thing, she responded that she doesn’t imagine them, she sees them. Do you have any similar experience that your creation seems to have its own life?
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

Re: ISG 0510 Miss Potter - chaper 1

文章 chiron »

chiron 寫: General questions:
3.Pls pick few “genius” sentences in the 1st chapter. It may not include unfamiliar words. For instance: Beatrix struggled with the carriage window, and finally did it open.
My answer for question 3:
Beatrix shook the thought from her head. (p11)
You base the animal characters on your friends. (p11)
The brothers exclaimed in one voice.
She has been raised in splendor. (p15)
The photos were perfectly cropped. (p20)

For quesiton 4:
1.godsend (n) 天賜之物
ex: She is a godsend for us.
2.sleep sth off 藉睡眠恢復或復原
ex: sleep of a bad headache
3.temple (n)太陽穴
ex: Rupert put his hand to his temple, and grimaced in pain.
Please call me Na'vi!
IVY
YOYO member
文章: 61
註冊時間: 週日 4月 16, 2006 11:44 am

文章 IVY »

General questions
Q1:
Over the years, Miss Potter has sent her little stories with a few illustrations to children as gifts. Till one of her old friends, Cannon Rawnsley, introduced her to a book publisher, Miss Potter’s life might be changed completely. Accompanied by her chaperone, Miss Wiggin, this is the first time for Miss Potter to step out the comfort zone and go to a business place, “F.Warne & Co.Book Publishers”. In the office, two serious brothers who seems unfriendly to take a look at her drawings promise to publish her book unexpectedly. Actually, they want another brother “Norman” to deal with Miss Potter.

Q2:
Miss Potter is a 36-year-old, unmarried woman, who lives a small and regular circle of life. She maintains a childlike mind and thinks the imaginary animals in her paintings are her best friends. About the publishing book, she has her own strong insistence and dares to mention the opinions to the publisher

Miss Wiggin: Because of her unlucky background, she seems always glum and unsatisfied

Harold and Fruing Warne: They are tricky businessmen. They calculate the project might not be profitable and then decide Norman to conduct it in order to let him shrink back from difficulties.

Q4:
1. Summon: to call into action (one's strength, courage, etc.)
2. Stammer: If you stammer, you speak with difficulty, hesitating and repeating words or sounds.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

I don't know if my questions are too detailed, or you are too busy to reply. Anyway, below is my answer for "detailed questions".
Q1. Because Miss Potter had to speak to 3 persons to find Harold and Fruing Warne.
Q2. Because her appearnce completely reveals that she is still unmarried (a Miss).
Q3. Because they promised their young brother a project before, and he is good at dealing with this kind of woman.
Q4. Because she had been raised in splendor as a child, but her family's fortune had disappeared and she had been forced to go to work.
Q5. I would let you find the answer.
Q6. Bee and Bertie.
Q7. Because he likes photography, and he has to use the flash powder, which causes his headache.
Q8. She and her rabbit will see if her illustration is the real art.
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

Re: ISG 0510 Miss Potter - chapter 1

文章 chiron »

chiron 寫: General questions:
1.Please summarize the first chapter.
2.Most characters of this book have already showed up in the 1st chapter, including Miss Potter herself (Beatrix Potter), her father (Ruppert Potter), her mother (Helen Potter), her young brother (Bertram Potter), her chaperone (Miss Wiggin), the coachman (Saunders), and the publishers (Harold and Fruing Warne). Please choose some of them to describe their personalities.
5.Please summarize the “whole” book. (This is only for Sherry. I know you are a quick reader. ^_^)
Hi, guys:
I really don't understand if it's because of my hard questions or hot weather, why no one replys my question except Ivy. Anyway, I guess I have to do that by my self.

Q1. The first chapter briefly introduces the main characters of this book, and describe why Miss Potter walked into the office of Warne's (She may be inspired by William Heelis's words though this character is not menitioned in the rest of this chapter.) In the beginning, Miss Potter was not so sure her children books would be accepted, but she still wanted to give it a try. After talking with Warnes, her books were surprising taken by them even thought they did that for another reason. And then, she happily went home and expected the success of it, while her mother didn't not think so at all.
Q2. Helen Potter: She was an old woman with hard-of-hearing problem. She used to see her days but now she is only a plain and severe woman. she is serious and careful in the family, and her severity makes her not able to appreciate Miss Potter's imagination and creativity. Her educatinoal way may be the reason why Bertram Potter (Potter's brother) doesn't like to stay at home.

P.S. Compared with JJ's handout (graffiti), do you think the first chapter of Miss Potter is too much??
Please call me Na'vi!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

My summary of the 1st chapter:

Miss Potter, in her thirties, lived a very inactive social life. Hardly having any physical friend, Miss Potter'd created visual friends by drawing and making stories on animals with human-like personalities. One day a friend of her was fascinated by the drawings and stories and decided to introduce her to the publish house F. Warne & Co. Book Publishers. Though dismissing her work as not marketable at all, the brother publishers Harold and Fruing Warne decided to publish it with the purpose of using it as a perfunctory assignment to their younger brother, Norman Warne, who didn’t have a whit of business experiences but insisting being involved in the family’s business as well.

Sentences I picked:
1. He forced his face into a smile.
2. "Norman!" the brothers exclaimed in one voice.
3. Harold Warne's jaw dropped open.

Words I picked:
take to doing sth: start doing sth regularly (as a habit)
Ex: Over the years, he's taken to staying out late.
seal one's fate: If an action, event or situation seals your fate, nothing can stop some unpleasant thing happening to you (they make some unpleasant thing sure to happen).
Ex: The outbreak of war sealed the government's fate.
Ex: The discovery of new evidence sealed his fate.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

My summary:

This novel mainly depicts a thirty-somethings woman, Miss Potter, who was raised in a traditional family from British high society. She had great interest and talent for sketching, painting, and endless creativity of imaginary stories. In the past, her productions only entertained herself and people around her; however, something happened when she was 36 years old, which turned out to be a turning point in her life. At that time she got a chance to publish her works, and subsequently achieved great success. Also, in the process of making her books be published, she got to know one of the publishers, Norman Warne, who later became her beloved; and his sister, Amelia Warne (Millie), who became her close friend.

(If you don't want to know the result of this novel before you read it, please do not read the following paragraph:)

Miss Potter used to live a very blank life. She did not know very much beyond her small circle of life, and the creations she originated were her only friends. But after she encountered Norman Warne, something in the deep of her heart had been awakened. Self-awareness and self-belief were developed gradually, and she experienced strong affections of love and pain. The death of Norman was a terrible blow to her, for which she even lost her ability of creation. Finally, the result of the novel is quite unexpected. I would say that the transition of Miss Potter in the last three chapters is a mystery. I think these three chapters are the most worthwhile reading, and we will have a lot to discuss when we go through them.
最後由 Sherry Liao 於 週日 5月 10, 2009 3:09 am 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

chiron 寫: Q1. ... (She may be inspired by William Heelis's words though this character is not menitioned in the rest of this chapter.)
Actually, Miss Potter was not inspired by William Heelis. William Leelis stated those words after all things happened. The novel flashed forward to show us a later perspective of the story.
chiron 寫:Q2. Helen Potter: ... Her educatinoal way may be the reason why Bertram Potter (Potter's brother) doesn't like to stay at home.
A later chapter revealed the reason Bertram Potter doesn't like to stay at home.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Sentences:
Beatrix, humming merrily to herself, proceeded up the walk. (p.17)
(Bertram) took a swig from his flask and fell back into the pillow, feigning passing out. (p.18)

Words:
close in (on sb/sth) (p.12): to move nearer to sb/sth, especially in order to attack them
Ex.: The lions closed in on their prey.
unobtrusively (p.15) - an adverb form for unobtrusive: not attracting unnecessary attention
Ex.: The service at the hotel is efficient and unobtrusive.
disheveled (p.18) (or BrE dishevelled): (of hair, clothes or sb's general appearance) very untidy
Ex.: He looked tired, dishevelled and very pale.
reprimand (p.20): to tell sb officially that you do not approve of them or their actions
Ex.: The officers were severely reprimanded for their unprofessional behaviour.
最後由 Sherry Liao 於 週日 5月 10, 2009 3:12 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

chiron 寫:Detailed questions:
1.Why does it say, “Beatrix’s trip to the offices of F. Warne and Co. had not started well” on page 8?
I think it was because Miss Potter was very nervous when she entered the premise.
chiron 寫:2.On page 10, why did Messrs Potter’s secretary roll his eyes and stress, “Miss Potter, indeed”?
Since women seldom entered these working places. At that time, females were usually not taken as having the capability of doing something important.
chiron 寫:3.Why did Fruing Warne decide to publish Miss Potter’s books?
He wanted to disappoint his youngest brother's will to participate in the family business.
chiron 寫:4.Why didn’t Miss Wiggin like the Potter Family?
She was a glum and gloomy women. Also, she thought Mrs. Potter was picky and Miss Potter was weird, since she always talked to her own drawings. (In fact, I think it is quite natural that the employees do not like their bosses. You don't even need a reason.)
chiron 寫:5.On page 16, Why does it say, “Everything is a metaphor”?
Good question. I don't know.
chiron 寫:6.What’s the nicknames of Miss Potter and her brother?
Yes. The answers are quite obvious.
chiron 寫:7.Why did Rupert have a frequent headache?
Miss Potter said that it was because of his hobby. As she said: "...You heard what the Doctor said. The flash powder gives you headaches". But I guess it was because of his marriage.
chiron 寫:8.On page 21, why did Miss Potter say, “when I’m a published author, the we shall see” ? Who will see and what will they see?
Everyone involved will see (including her mother). They will see if the productions Miss Potter made was art.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Kooper 寫: Words I picked:
take to doing sth: start doing sth regularly (as a habit)
Ex: Over the years, he's taken to staying out late.
seal one's fate: If an action, event or situation seals your fate, nothing can stop some unpleasant thing happening to you (they make some unpleasant thing sure to happen).-->I guess the most suitable interpretation should be "解除封印". ha~
Ex: The outbreak of war sealed the government's fate.
Ex: The discovery of new evidence sealed his fate.
最後由 chiron 於 週日 5月 10, 2009 6:58 am 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
Just JJ
YOYO member
文章: 220
註冊時間: 週二 4月 29, 2008 7:34 pm

文章 Just JJ »

I had a miserable week, things just keep comming up. I will try my best to catch you up though. :oops:
chiron 寫: 5.On page 16, Why does it say, “Everything is a metaphor”?
My explanation is Miss Potter was so delighted after she knew her own work will be published. Therefore, everything she see, and everywhere she go can literally be turned into part of her good mood.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Sherry Liao 寫:
chiron 寫:Detailed questions:
I think it was because Miss Potter was very nervous when she entered the premise.
chiron 寫:2.On page 10, why did Messrs Potter’s secretary roll his eyes and stress, “Miss Potter, indeed”?
Since women seldom entered these working places. At that time, females were usually not taken as having the capability of doing something important.-->But if you pay attention to this page, you would see that Miss is in italic, which meaning the secretary stresses her identification.
chiron 寫:3.Why did Fruing Warne decide to publish Miss Potter’s books?
He wanted to disappoint his youngest brother's will to participate in the family business.
chiron 寫:4.Why didn’t Miss Wiggin like the Potter Family?
She was a glum and gloomy women. Also, she thought Mrs. Potter was picky and Miss Potter was weird, since she always talked to her own drawings. (In fact, I think it is quite natural that the employees do not like their bosses. You don't even need a reason.)-->good point
chiron 寫:5.On page 16, Why does it say, “Everything is a metaphor”?
Good question. I don't know.
chiron 寫:6.What’s the nicknames of Miss Potter and her brother?
Yes. The answers are quite obvious.
chiron 寫:7.Why did Rupert have a frequent headache?
Miss Potter said that it was because of his hobby. As she said: "...You heard what the Doctor said. The flash powder gives you headaches". But I guess it was because of his marriage.-->i'm laughing to death.
chiron 寫:8.On page 21, why did Miss Potter say, “when I’m a published author, the we shall see” ? Who will see and what will they see?
Everyone involved will see (including her mother). They will see if the productions Miss Potter made was art.
Please call me Na'vi!
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Dear classmates,

I forgot to ask a question this morning, which raised when I was writing my summary. Please check out this sentence:

"She had great interest and talent for sketching, painting, and endless creativity of imaginary stories."

My question is about the prepositions. To explain it in detail, the sentence is saparated into two shorter ones:
(a) She had great interest in A, B and C.
(b) She had great talent for A, B and C.

To combine (a) and (b), can any of you tell me which one is correct?
(c) She had great interest and talent for A, B and C.
(d) She had great talent and interest in A, B and C.
(e) She had great interest in and talent for A, B and C.

or is there a better way to structure the sentence?
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Sherry Liao 寫:Dear classmates,

I forgot to ask a question this morning, which raised when I was writing my summary. Please check out this sentence:

"She had great interest and talent for sketching, painting, and endless creativity of imaginary stories."

My question is about the prepositions. To explain it in detail, the sentence is saparated into two shorter ones:
(a) She had great interest in A, B and C.
(b) She had great talent for A, B and C.

To combine (a) and (b), can any of you tell me which one is correct?
(c) She had great interest and talent for A, B and C.
(d) She had great talent and interest in A, B and C.
(e) She had great interest in and talent for A, B and C.

or is there a better way to structure the sentence?
My wild guess is the choice of preposition depends on the nearest name before it. So my choices are (c) and (d).
回覆文章