chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Re: ISG1122 My Sister's Keeper - p146-p216

文章 chiron »

Sherry Liao 寫:
Kooper 寫:
chiron 寫:21. On page 211, what do "He is as tall as I am, but 'unfinished' around the edges" & "The meteorologists had a field day" mean?
Though Jesse is as tall as Campbell, he is not fully developed as an adult yet.
“Have a field day” means to have a chance to do a lot of something you want. So here it means the meteorologists had a lot of work to do that day as there were many unusual astronomical phenomena to observe and study.
I think "have a field day" means have a lot of fun, for we always enjoyed the sports meets when we were at school. I think Campbell used "have a field day" to tease those meteorologists that they really had a bustling day trying to describe the weird phenomena.
have a field day
Fig. to experience freedom from one's usual work schedule; to have a very enjoyable time. (As with children who are released from classes to take part in sports and athletic contests.)
Ex: The boss was gone and we had afield day today. No one got anything done. The air was fresh and clear and everyone had a field day in the park during the lunch hour.
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Kooper 寫:
chiron 寫:1. On page 146, why did Julia say "the food God served caused multiple trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night"? Does it have anything to do with stars?
Anna ate infected food and had the runs in the middle of the night.
But this sentence was said by Julia. I prefer Sherry's explanation. The food God served angels caused multiple trips to the bathroom (with night-lights, indicating shining stars) in the middle of the night, for the food in angels' intestines produces gas. But the association is still complicated, can a little girl think so far??
最後由 chiron 於 週日 11月 22, 2009 12:35 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Please call me Na'vi!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

chiron 寫:
Kooper 寫:
chiron 寫:1. On page 146, why did Julia say "the food God served caused multiple trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night"? Does it have anything to do with stars?
Anna ate infected food and had the runs in the middle of the night.
But this sentence was said by Julia. I prefer Sherry's explanation. Gas means the air in angel's stomach.
Oh, then it should be "Julia ate infected food and had the runs in the middle of the night."
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Kooper 寫:
chiron 寫:
Kooper 寫:Anna ate infected food and had the runs in the middle of the night.
But this sentence was said by Julia. I prefer Sherry's explanation. Gas means the air in angel's stomach.
Oh, then it should be "Julia ate infected food and had the runs in the middle of the night."
And how is it related with "night-lights"? Julia combined her father and mother's interpretations to get this coclusion, right?
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Wow, Sherry, you are really observant, I didn't notice that this book only has one chapter written from Kate's perspective. Maybe that's because Kate starts to gather herself up and lead an independent life not relying on anyone until the last chapter. BTW, on page 185 when Julia asked Jesse where was Anna, and Jesse replied if he is his sister's keeper. I find it interesting for he is really not his sister's keeper, Anna is.
Please call me Na'vi!
Angelaaa
文章: 8
註冊時間: 週一 11月 30, 2009 9:12 am

文章 Angelaaa »

Hello, I'm the new one for this area,
what is qualification & task to join this ISG?

Thanks to answer :wink: .
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Angelaaa 寫:Hello, I'm the new one for this area,
what is qualification & task to join this ISG?

Thanks to answer :wink: .
Dear Angela,

Thank you for your interest in ISG program.

Before you are accepted as an ISG member, you have to be a YOYO member first. Have you ever participate in any of YOYO's events? If not yet, you are invited to join in our regular meetings, which take place in every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. You may refer to the threads of "每週討論主題meeting topic" for more information.

Sherry
Angelaaa

文章 Angelaaa »

Sherry,

Understood, would you kindly tell me what conditions are to be accepted as an ISG member :oops: ?

Thank you.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Angelaaa 寫:Sherry,

Understood, would you kindly tell me what conditions are to be accepted as an ISG member :oops: ?

Thank you.
Dear Angela,

Being a YOYO member is a must. After that, if you are still interested in our study group, the decision on whether you will be accepted as a part of us rest with our boss Kooper. No specific rules or criteria for inviting new members I think, but I can tell you that Kooper like diligent people. If you can convince him that you will always finish the assignments on time, never late for our online meetings (which are hold on every Sunday, at 7:00AM via Skype), you will most likely be received into our group, as I see it.

So far the affiliated study group is with a closed membership policy, but YOYO English Club is an open club. You are most welcome to join our regular meetings, and I am pretty sure you will have fun and make lots of friends here. Hope to see you very soon.

Sherry
Angelaaa

文章 Angelaaa »

Sherry Liao 寫:
If you can convince him that you will always finish the assignments on time, never late for our online meetings (which are hold on every Sunday, at 7:00AM via Skype), you will most likely be received into our group, as I see it.

Sherry

Thanks to Sherry provided the detailed inf. :D

I'm not that kind of an early bird, sorry. :oops:
回覆文章