ISG1122 My Sister's Keeper - p146-p216

頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

ISG1122 My Sister's Keeper - p146-p216

文章 chiron »

Dears: What an achievement! We have already finished half of this book especially when this novel is full of abundant big words, idioms and slang. So, give yourself an applause. As usually, pls answer the on-line questions on our forum and think the meeting questions in advance. For the on-line questions, the same, if the first replier has already posted the same answer, to save the public space, you should not post it again unless you don't agree with him/her or you have different viewpoints no matter it's regular words/phrases/sentences or other questions.

p.s. I happened to find the interview with this book’s author after the last chapter, if you have enough time, try to leave through it, you’ll understand how does Jodi Picoult gets her inspiration. (The first question and the question starting with "anyone who has watched a loved one die..."). Besides, I also notice a question list used by this book's study book at the end of it. I'm so surprised to know we discussed the first four questions. (Is it because I'm quite a deep-thinker, or anyone would conceive of those questions?)

p.s.2. I also found this movie’s O.S.T. Enjoy it if you have time. As bellows: My sister's keeper

On-line Questions
A. Pick unfamiliar words or phrases and good sentences.

B.
1. On page 146, why did Julia say "the food God served caused multiple trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night"? Does it have anything to do with stars?
2. What are "ball of wax" & "easy lay" on page 152?
3. On page 153, what does "stealing breath from the edge of his lips" mean?
4. On page 154, why did Seven say "the first was a 'rebound'"?
5. On page 160, what does "outgrown her sneakers" mean?
6. On page 166, why did Sara say "be careful what you wish for"?
7. On page 174, what does "being her usual 'pain-in-the-butt' self" mean?
8. On page 177, what does "so that now I had the 'upper hand'" & "to get the other to cry uncle" mean?
9. On page 178, what does "what she'd said had not cut quite so close to the bone" mean?
10. On page 180, what does "you can bet we all are ready for our 'close-ups'" mean?
11. On page 183, Campbell hid into a room and Julia yelled "Gentlemen" heartily. What does gentlemen represent here?
12. On page 185, what does this sentence mean "as if defiance is sth Anna's cornered the 'market' on"?
13. On page 186, what does "stopped half the female population of Roger Williams University in their tracks" mean?
14. On page 187, what does "a charity case and deaf to boot" mean?
15. On page 189, why does Jesse say "darkness, you know, is relative"? If it has any implication?
16. On page 203, what do "God's the one who 'knocked you up'" & "She rounded on me" mean?
17. On page 204, what does "and that's strictly 'hormonal'" mean?
18. On page 206, Julia and Campbell have a disagreement on Anna's case. From their dialogue, can you define their attitude to things, and does that gap reveal in their past relationship?
19. On page 207, what does "we are young again & 'learning the shape of each other" mean?
20. On page 210, what do "the judicial 'vanity plate' that says ALLRISE" & "You can actually see the gears churning" mean?
21. On page 211, what do "He is as tall as I am, but 'unfinished' around the edges" & "The meteorologists had a field day" mean?
22. On page 213, what does "Judge watches life happen" mean?

Meeting Questions
1. On page 159, Julia reminded her mother had ever asked her if she could really picture being an only child as she had a fight with her twin sister. Are you a sole child at your family, if not, can you imagine that; if no, can you imagine to have a sibling?
2. On page 197, Anna said "I know you want to ask me why I'm doing all this", and Brian replied "you don't have to say anything if you don't want to." In your opinion, why did Anna have to do all of this? What kind of personality does she have? And what causes that? If she tried to be as compliant as always, will things different or her family live happier? Or if she successfully sues her parents, is it really “good”?
3. Since we have already read half of this book, you must have some introspection from it. What do you learn from this family, or from any character in this novel? Share us any insight you want to share.
4. From the perspective of "Karma", everything happens for a reason even the most dreadful situation. Try to find the positive value of this family's karma. What's its significance for any character you want to analyze?
最後由 chiron 於 週二 11月 17, 2009 10:08 am 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

Re: ISG1122 My Sister's Keeper - p146-p216

文章 chiron »

chiron 寫: On-line Questions
A. Pick unfamiliar words or phrases and good sentences.
Good Sentences
1. If you meet a longer, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them. (p. 154)

2. For the first time in my life I begin to understand how a parent might hit a child -- it's because you can look into their eyes and see a reflection of yourself that you wish you hadn't. (p. 163)

3. The human capacity for burden is like bamboo -- far more flexible than you'd ever believe at first glance. (p. 192)

Unfamiliar Words or Phrases
1. frequent (V) to visit a particular place often
ex: I'm not much of a party girl, which explains why I hadn't "frequented" Shakespeare's Cat before. (p. 148)

2. grill (v) to ask sb a lot of questions about their ideas, actions, etc., often in an unpleasant way
ex: She says this matter-of-factly, as if I've "grilled" her about the weather or what's on the hospital menu. (p. 157)

3. pipe dream (n) a pipe dream is a hope or plan that you have which you know will never really happen
ex: Like what it would be like to study oceanography...or any of a million other "pipe dreams". (p. 174)

4. sound bite (n) a very short part of a speech, usually one made by a politician, that is broadcast on a news programme on television or the radio
ex: I offer around sound bites as if they are candy, and make sure that the cameras are on me. (p. 180)

5. gut feeling (n) an instinct or intuition; an immediate or basic feeling or reaction without a logical rationale
ex: I don't think I have enough information to make a formal decision, but my "gut feeling" says it would be a mistake for Anna's mother to be removed from the house. (p. 181)

6. on the same page (ph.) In broad agreement or sharing a common general understanding or knowledge (common in office environments)
ex: You told me you talked to Anna about her mother and that we were all "on the same page". (p. 182)

7. drag (n.) clothes that are usually worn by the opposite sex (usually women's clothes worn by men)
ex: A security officer – think Hitler in “drag” with a very bad perm – crosses her arms and blocks my entry at the elevator bank. (p. 201)

8. nail (v.) to catch sb and prove they are guilty of a crime or of doing sth bad
ex: Jesse stole a car and he got "nailed". (p. 209)

9. as per sth (pl.) following sth that has been decided
ex: We met, "as per" that note, at the cemetery. (p. 213)

10. quick (n.) the soft, sensitive flesh that is under the fingernails
ex: Purple sparkle polish, nails bitten to the "quick". (p. 215)

11. on the heels of (pl.) 接踵而來
ex: And on the heels of that thought: Anna might be able to testify. (p. 215)
Please call me Na'vi!
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

1. Because when Julia was little, she asked his dad why the star shines, and his dad answered the question very seriously and explain it in the scientific way which made her felt sick in the stomach.

2. ball of wax
(計畫,或合約等之) 全部細節
She went out to New York and in no time came back with the contract for the whole ball of wax.
她到紐約去了不多久就帶著包括全部細節的合約回來了

easy lay: Campell's friends think Julia looks like the girl who likes to have casual sex with men.

3. Julia stands very close to Campbell as if she is stealing breath from him.

4. It means Seven thinks Julia had another boyfriend after she broke up with Campbell so she can get over Campbell.

5. Kate grew up so her old sneakers were too small for her.

6. Sara does not want Anna to have leukemia as Kate.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

chiron 寫: 1. On page 146, why did Julia say "the food God served caused multiple trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night"? Does it have anything to do with stars?
janet12tw 寫:1. Because when Julia was little, she asked his dad why the star shines, and his dad answered the question very seriously and explain it in the scientific way which made her felt sick in the stomach.
Really? And what's the food God served?? You didn't explain that. I think the argument is a bit weak. Does anyone have other opinions?
chiron 寫: 4. On page 154, why did Seven say "the first was a 'rebound'"?
janet12tw 寫: 4. It means Seven thinks Julia had another boyfriend after she broke up with Campbell so she can get over Campbell.
If you say that someone is on the rebound, you mean that they have just ended a relationship with a girlfriend or boyfriend. This often makes them do things they would not normally do.
chiron 寫: 6. On page 166, why did Sara say "be careful what you wish for"?
janet12tw 寫: 6. Sara does not want Anna to have leukemia as Kate.
I don't think that makes sense. Does anyone have other opinions?
Please call me Na'vi!
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

chiron 寫:1. On page 146, why did Julia say "the food God served caused multiple trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night"? Does it have anything to do with stars?
Julia's mother explained that stars were night-lights for the angels to find their way, and Julia's father mentioned "gas", which is air in your stomach or intestine that make you feel uncomfortable. Little Julia combined these two ideas together and thought that the food God served would make the angels feel uncomfortable and the angels had to go to the bathroom several times during the midnight.
chiron 寫:2. What are "ball of wax" & "easy lay" on page 152?
ball of wax: the whole ball of wax means the whole thing. "That's a whole different ball of wax" means "that's a totall different thing".
easy lay: I agree with Janet.
chiron 寫:3. On page 153, what does "stealing breath from the edge of his lips" mean?
I agree with Janet.
chiron 寫:4. On page 154, why did Seven say "the first was a 'rebound'"?
I agree with Janet.
A rebound is someone you get into a relationship right after you ended up a significant relationship.
chiron 寫:5. On page 160, what does "outgrown her sneakers" mean?
I agree witth Janet.
chiron 寫:6. On page 166, why did Sara say "be careful what you wish for"?
Kate suffered a series of pain after she was diagnosed. Sara was afraid that Anna might suffer similiar pain as a donater. She hoped things would go smooth, but also thought it's better not to hope against hope.
chiron 寫:7. On page 174, what does "being her usual 'pain-in-the-butt' self" mean?
Anna thought Kate was annoying or even a pain to her when she was walking around.
chiron 寫:8. On page 177, what does "so that now I had the 'upper hand'" & "to get the other to cry uncle" mean?
upper hand: A dominating position, as in a conflict
to cry uncle: to surrender
chiron 寫:9. On page 178, what does "what she'd said had not cut quite so close to the bone" mean?
Kate said "You are killing me" unintentionally. Soon both of them found that it's a sensitive word. "Cut close to the bone" means something like "切中要害".
chiron 寫:10. On page 180, what does "you can bet we all are ready for our 'close-ups'" mean?
a close-up is a photograph or movie shot taken at close range. Campbell meant they self-aggrandizing laywers are always ready to be the focus of reporters' cameras.
chiron 寫:11. On page 183, Campbell hid into a room and Julia yelled "Gentlemen" heartily. What does gentlemen represent here?
I think there is no specific meaning there. It's just a interjection of relief.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

sherry 寫:
chiron 寫:6. On page 166, why did Sara say "be careful what you wish for"?
Kate suffered a series of pain after she was diagnosed. Sara was afraid that Anna might suffer similiar pain as a donater. She hoped things would go smooth, but also thought it's better not to hope against hope.
Then why was Sara afraid that Anna might suffer similar pain since she is not born with illness? Will leukemia transfer from the patient to a donator? I guess Kate originally wished Anna wound not resist as she was draw blood, but she did resist when those nurses wanted to give her a shot. So she said that. Does anyone have any other opinion?
sherry 寫:
chiron 寫:11. On page 183, Campbell hid into a room and Julia yelled "Gentlemen" heartily. What does gentlemen represent here?
Well, actually, gentlemen here means gentlemen's restroom. This was the only room Campbell found unlocked.
最後由 chiron 於 週六 11月 21, 2009 10:44 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Please call me Na'vi!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

chiron 寫:
sherry 寫:
Well, actually, gentlemen here means gentlemen's restroom. This is the only room Campbell found unlocked.
It is Campbell, not Julia yelled "Gentlemen" heartily. The reason he said it was the room he entered was "MAN ONLY."
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

chiron 寫:13. On page 186, what does "stopped half the female population of Roger Williams University in their tracks" mean?
To stop in one’s tracks means to stop walking suddenly. Here it means Jesse was trying to give Julia his most charming smile. BTW, I don’t know why he specifically mentioned Roger Williams University. To me, it could be any school or city, and the meaning doesn't change.

chiron 寫:14. On page 187, what does "a charity case and deaf to boot" mean?
“To boot” means also. Here Jess was saying that his neighbors and their relatives kept whispering about him like he was miserable and deaf.
chiron 寫:15. On page 189, why does Jesse say "darkness, you know, is relative"? If it has any implication?
The adverse effect a tragedy has on a person differs from people to people. Children and the juveniles are, in general,relatively vulnerable than adults to such sad event.
chiron 寫:16. On page 203, what do "God's the one who 'knocked you up'" & "She rounded on me" mean?
“God’s the one who knocked you up” means it was the God who made you pregnant.
“She rounded on me” means she suddenly turned and attacked me with words.
chiron 寫:17. On page 204, what does "and that's strictly 'hormonal'" mean?
Jesse returned Julia’s call simply because he was attracted to her..
chiron 寫:19. On page 207, what does "we are young again & 'learning the shape of each other" mean?
They gazed at each other passionately as if they fell in love again.
chiron 寫:20. On page 210, what do "the judicial 'vanity plate' that says ALLRISE" & "You can actually see the gears churning" mean?
“You can actually see the gears churning” meant that Campbell expected Jesse to drive even with his license being taken away.
chiron 寫:21. On page 211, what do "He is as tall as I am, but 'unfinished' around the edges" & "The meteorologists had a field day" mean?
Though Jesse is as tall as Campbell, he is not fully developed as an adult yet.
“Have a field day” means to have a chance to do a lot of something you want. So here it means the meteorologists had a lot of work to do that day as there were many unusual astronomical phenomena to observe and study.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

chiron 寫:12. On page 185, what does this sentence mean "as if defiance is sth Anna's cornered the 'market' on"?
"corner the market" means to complete control, possession or use of something. I think Jesse felt Julia was surprised that he knew Anna had filed a lawsuit against her parents, as if defiance was something that was completely under Anna's control.
chiron 寫:18. On page 206, Julia and Campbell have a disagreement on Anna's case. From their dialogue, can you define their attitude to things, and does that gap reveal in their past relationship?
Campbell showed that he was confident and determined, while Julia was observant and considerate.
Does that gap reveal in their past relationship? I don't think so. :mrgreen:
chiron 寫:20. On page 210, what do "the judicial 'vanity plate' that says ALLRISE" & "You can actually see the gears churning" mean?
"Vanity plate" is a special type of vehicle registration plate, which usually shows a series of numbers or letters or both that contains specific meaning. "ALLRISE" is an imperative, used to ask everyone to stand up. Campbell joked that the judge should have used a vanity plate to let everyone know that it was his car.
chiron 寫:22. On page 213, what does "Judge watches life happen" mean?
Judge sat still and watched what happened all around it.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Kooper 寫:
chiron 寫:
sherry 寫:I think there is no specific meaning there. It's just a interjection of relief.
Well, actually, gentlemen here means gentlemen's restroom. This was the only room Campbell found unlocked.
It is Campbell, not Julia yelled "Gentlemen" heartily. The reason he said it was the room he entered was "MAN ONLY."
Yeah, and what kind of room is "man only", the answer is man's toilet, right? Campbell had an appointment with toilet.
Please call me Na'vi!
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Kooper 寫:
chiron 寫:21. On page 211, what do "He is as tall as I am, but 'unfinished' around the edges" & "The meteorologists had a field day" mean?
“Have a field day” means to have a chance to do a lot of something you want. So here it means the meteorologists had a lot of work to do that day as there were many unusual astronomical phenomena to observe and study.
I think "have a field day" means have a lot of fun, for we always enjoyed the sports meets when we were at school. I think Campbell used "have a field day" to tease those meteorologists that they really had a bustling day trying to describe the weird phenomena.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Sherry Liao 寫:
chiron 寫:3. On page 153, what does "stealing breath from the edge of his lips" mean?
I agree with Janet.
Maybe Julia asked the question while they were giving each other a long kiss.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

chiron 寫:1. On page 146, why did Julia say "the food God served caused multiple trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night"? Does it have anything to do with stars?
Anna ate infected food and had the runs in the middle of the night.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Kooper 寫:
chiron 寫:13. On page 186, what does "stopped half the female population of Roger Williams University in their tracks" mean?
To stop in one’s tracks means to stop walking suddenly. Here it means Jesse was trying to give Julia his most charming smile. BTW, I don’t know why he specifically mentioned Roger Williams University. To me, it could be any school or city, and the meaning doesn't change.
Maybe Jess studies in that school.
Kooper 寫:
chiron 寫:15. On page 189, why does Jesse say "darkness, you know, is relative"? If it has any implication?
The adverse effect a tragedy has on a person differs from people to people. Children and the juveniles are, in general, relatively vulnerable than adults to such sad event.
Well, actually, you can find this author's opinion to this question in the end of this book. In short, she implies Kate's illness causes different effect to this family, and Jesse is the one having relative darker behavior than Anna. But I still want to hear your opinion. Does anyone have different viewpoints to this question?
Kooper 寫:
chiron 寫:17. On page 204, what does "and that's strictly 'hormonal'" mean?
Jesse returned Julia’s call simply because he was attracted to her.
Yeah, Jesse is attracted by Julia's "hormone".
Kooper 寫:
Yeah, but I think locust storm is not "astronomical phenomena".

圖檔
Locust Storm
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Sherry Liao 寫:
chiron 寫:18. On page 206, Julia and Campbell have a disagreement on Anna's case. From their dialogue, can you define their attitude to things, and does that gap reveal in their past relationship?
Campbell showed that he was confident and determined, while Julia was observant and considerate.
Does that gap reveal in their past relationship? I don't think so. :mrgreen:
Maybe we can discuss this question on-line.
Sherry Liao 寫:
"Vanity plate" is a special type of vehicle registration plate, which usually shows a series of numbers or letters or both that contains specific meaning. "ALLRISE" is an imperative, used to ask everyone to stand up. Campbell joked that the judge should have used a vanity plate to let everyone know that it was his car.
Yeah, and "vanity plate" is a plate specifically spelled to satisfy the car owner's "vanity".

圖檔
Vanity Plate
Sherry Liao 寫:
chiron 寫:22. On page 213, what does "Judge watches life happen" mean?
Judge sat still and watched what happened all around it.
I think it means Judge, Campbell’s service dog, is attracted by his motion to light up a cigarette as if he watches life happen.
最後由 chiron 於 週日 11月 22, 2009 10:42 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
Please call me Na'vi!
回覆文章