頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

ISG100110 My Sister's Keeper p.217-the end

文章 chiron »

Hello, dear ISGers:
This time we have to finish this book, quite a challenge, and mostly out of my incompliace (and computer). Pls forgive me! Anyway, I promise this won't happen again!

[On-line questions]
A. Take notes of your good words, phrases, or sentences.
B.
1. What does this sentence on p.219 mean: Over his shoulder I could see the girl "pinking up"?
2. What does this sentence on p.228 mean: Sort of like this one used to be?
3. What does this sentence on p.228 mean: to feel myself crack down the middle?
4. What is "long-distance rate announcement" on p.233?
5. What does this sentence on p.240 mean: Well, I don't need to tell you that 11-year-old budding derelicts and house rules are like oil and water?
6. What does this sentence on p.253 mean: Our conversations now are an economy of facts, full of blue chip details and insider information?
7. What does this sentence on p.256 mean: "courtesy of" the steroids she takes to treat it?
8. What does this sentence on p.256 mean: I am so accustomed to this that it doesn't "phase" me?
9. What does this sentence on p.261 mean: I wonder why, when Jesse's history is not by any stretch as disappointing as his sister's.
10. What does this sentence on p.263 mean: Her body "spikes a fever". She is "pancultured"?
11. What does this sentence on p.266 mean: So maybe there is a place in your life you wear out like a rut, or even better, like the soft spot on the couch. And no matter what else happens to you, you come back to that. What does Anna want to stress?
12. What does this sentence on p.266 mean: He "hits his groove" at 16?
13. What does this sentence on p.274 mean: You can take the pink hair dye out of the girl, but you never lose those roots?
14. What does this sentence on p.280 mean: Anna will take one look at walking this gauntlet, and bolt?
15. What does this sentence on p.282 mean: In the car, Anna "rides shotgun" while Judge takes a seat in the back?
16. What does this sentence on p.283 mean: But the selfish confession "saws out of her sideways", it just doesn't fit?
17. What does this sentence on p.292 mean: Sometimes I "fall for it", mostly I just make him go to sleep. See, I get "a round hollow spot in my belly" knowing I could tell him what's coming, but also knowing it would come out sounding like a warning?
18. What does this sentence on p.298 mean: She seems to realize "mid-tug" that maybe she shouldn't have done this?
19. What does this sentence on p.306 mean: but she's too self-conscious to "go commando"?
20. What does this sentence on p.312 mean: a pang goes through me, and immediately on its heels a single word: "practice"?
21. What does this sentence on p.313 mean: score "pot off" the ranch hands. Get stoned. "Tip cows."?
22. Why did Jesse reply Kate: "Now, sis, you know I'm not that easy to kill." on p.314?
23. What does this sentence on p.317 mean: there's something to be said for the hero who "charges off" to battle?
24. What does this sentence on p.318 mean: The difference between these fires and the other ones was that now "the stakes have been ratcheted up a notch."?
25. How will you explain the adage on p.327: "If you want to see God laugh, make a plan."?
26. What does this sentence on p.348 mean: I hired you because I thought you had a spine?
27. Why did Campbell felt it funny as he heard "Dr Beata Neaux" on p.350?
28. What does this sentence on p.352 mean: Developmentally her brain isn't "wired" yet to look that far ahead?
29. What does this sentence on p.358 mean: Julia is as ripped up about this case and what it's done to Anna as I am?
30. What does this sentence on p.366 mean: Amnesia, on both sides of the event, is pretty common?
31. What does this sentence on p.369 mean: It's not "catching", if that's what you mean?
32. What does this sentence on p.370 mean: I hog the covers and my hair has its own zip code?
33. What does this sentence on p.373 mean: she'd either pushed up furniture or "pennied it shut"?
34. Why did Kate say Gandhi or Martin Luther King, Jr. they wouldn't sigh the waiver on p.377? What waiver?
35. Why did Campbell say chaperonage is not a real word on p.378?
36. Why did Sara say, "you want to build a fire underneath her" on p.389? Isn't the analogy weird here?
37. What does this sentence on p.407 mean: Daddy fell deep into a bottle after she left, and had "to claw his way out"?
38. Campbell dumped Julia only because he has seizure. Base on Campbell's personality, are you satisfied with the plot? Why or why not?
39. Did you cry throughout the novel, and in which part?
40. On p.266, Anna tried to imagine the scenery of heaven, have you ever done that? What will it (heaven) and you be like, and why?
41. On p.321, Jesse admitted he set fire for he couldn't save Kate. Can you understand his motivation, or does he have any other choices?
42. In the trial, Anna finally comprehends no one would be real winner, how do you say? Who is the winner of this trial? Who is the loser? If you are born in the family, who would you like to play? Rescuer or be rescued or outsider...? And why?

[Meeting questions]
1. Are you satisfied with the outcome? If not, do you have another satisfying version?
2. If Anna is meant to die, do you think Campbell is the right person to kill her? (I doubt Campbell will feel guilty forever since he is the driver.)
3. Do you think we really have the right to decide whether we ourselves would like to live or not? If you are Kate, would you ask Anna not to donate a kidney? Or if you are Campbell, will you switch off the machine to sustain Anna’s life?
4. Since Campbell decided he had to leave Julia 15 years ago and Kate wanted to commit suicde in order not fuck her family's life anymore, but both of their decisions turned out to be not the best policy, do you still think we can make independent decisions out of our own will and not involve others? Why or why not?
5. The novle covers 3 couples of sister (Sara & Zanne; Julia & her twin sister; Kate & Anne, of course), pls compare their differences and analyze their functions in this nolve.
6. What part of this novel you like the most, what part you dislike? Which character of this novel you like the most, which one you dislike? And any other portions you want to comment? Anything?
最後由 chiron 於 週日 1月 10, 2010 2:16 am 編輯,總共編輯了 13 次。
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

Re: ISG100110 My Sister's Keeper p.217-the end

文章 chiron »

chiron 寫: [On-line questions]
A. Take notes of your good words, phrases, or sentences.
[Words and Phrases]
-Shepherd (v) to guide somebody or a group of people somewhere, making sure they go where you want them to go
Ex: The triage nurse waves us inside, shepherds the other kids to the bank of plastic chairs where they can wait. (p.221)
-Calling card (n) name card; feature, characteristic
Ex: This is the calling card for APL – hemorrhage in all sorts of masks and disguises. (p.221)
-Wrap one's head around (ph.) to try to understand
ex: It’s a world I can’t even wrap my head around. (p.228)
-Troop (v) to walk somewhere together as a group
Ex: She will troop to the hospital for her routine CBC, but if I suggest a side trip to the video store or Dunkin’ Donuts afterward, she begs off. (p.235)
-Drum (n) a large container for oil or chemicals, shaped like a cylinder
Ex: When I roll up to the underpass where Duracell Dan makes his cardboard home, he cowers behind his line of 33-gallon drums. (p.239)
-Shower (v) to give somebody a lot of something
My parents would shower her with all kinds of cool shit whenever she had to have something done to her. (p.240)
-Big ticket item (n) big ticket item refers to retail goods that have a high selling price in comparison to other items sold in the same store, and that have high profit potential associated with them. (p.240)
-Patty-cake (n) It is often accompanied by hand-clapping between two people, a clapping game known as pat-a-cake (also rendered as patty-cake or pattycake), after the rhyme. It alternates between a normal individual clap with two-handed claps with the other person. The hands may be crossed as well. This allows for a possibly complex sequence of clapping that must be coordinated between the two. (p.248)
圖檔
-Fork (v) to spend a lot of money on something, especially unwillingly
Ex: We’re not forking over six hundred bucks without knowing what it’s for. (p.255)
-Tip one’s hand (ph.) to reveal one's plans or intentions before the propitious time
Ex: Was all this engineered to tip my hand is his favor at tomorrow’s trial? (p.275)
-Kick the bucket (ph.) die
Ex: I don’t have plans to kick the bucket that day. (p.306)
-Lace into sb. (ph.) attack; assail
Ex: I lace into her. (p.307)
-Give sb. a piece of one’s mind (ph.) to express one's opinion strongly; to voice one's disagreement or dissatisfaction
Ex: Then the best revenge is getting healthy enough to give him a piece of your mind. (p.310)
-Talking head (n) talking heads are people who appear in television discussion programmes and interviews to give their opinions about a topic
Ex: It takes a few talking heads but I get permission from the judge to remove myself from the premises. (p.317)
-Premise (n) The premises of a business or an institution are all the buildings and land that it occupies in one place
-Flying colors (ph.) complete success
Ex: Let’s assume Anna comes through the procedure with flying colors. (p.326)
-Sleep on it. (ph.) to not make an immediate decision about a plan or idea, but to wait until the next day in order to have more time to think about it
Ex: ‘Sleep on it,’ I suggest tightly. (p.338)
-Informed (adj.) having or showing a lot of knowledge about a particular subject or situation
Ex: The Fitzgeralds were asked to make informed health-care decisions for two of their children. (p.391)

[Sentences]
-There is a pregnant bubble of silence on the other end of the phones. (p.224)

-The doctors may be mapping out the war games, but it is the nurses who make the conflict bearable. (p.227)

-The door to the ambulatory operating suite "yawns" open into a small room packed with gleaming silver instruments – a mouth gilded with braces. (p.229)

-The older couples, the ones sporting wedding bands that wink with their silverware, eat without the pepper of conversation. Is it because they are so comfortable, they already know what the other is thinking? Or is it because after a certain point, there is simply nothing left to say? (p.232)

-We never have children, we receive the. And sometimes it's not for quite as long as we would have expected or hoped. But it is still far better than never having had those children at all. (p.379)

-Nobody ever really makes decision entirely by themselves, not even if a judge gives them the right to do so. (p.389)

-None of us is obligated to go into a fire and save someone else from a burning building. But that all changes if you're a parent and the person in that burning building is your child. If that's the case, not only would everyone understand if you ran in to get your child – they'd practically expect if of you. (p.390)
最後由 chiron 於 週六 1月 09, 2010 3:17 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 4 次。
Please call me Na'vi!
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1483
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Chiron,

There are 41 online questions in total, and it's already Saturday! :o

You are no doubt diligent, but.... should we go through all the questions? :sorrow: :sickness: :what?: :ultra:
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Sherry Liao 寫:Chiron,

There are 41 online questions in total, and it's already Saturday! :o

You are no doubt diligent, but.... should we go through all the questions? :sorrow: :sickness: :what?: :ultra:
Don't worry! Try your best and I'll finish the rest.

P.S. I know there are 41, but that's because we have more than 200 pages.
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

chiron 寫: [On-line questions]
B.
31. What does this sentence on p.369 mean: It's not "catching", if that's what you mean?
Here, "catching" means contagious, so Campbell wants to stress Julia will not be infected.
chiron 寫: 32. What does this sentence on p.370 mean: I hog the covers and my hair has its own zip code?
I guess "covers" mean bed sheet, so "hog the covers" indicates Julia keeps most bed sheet and doesn't not have to grab it from someone on the same bed, meaning she is lonely.
* hog (v) to use or keep most of something yourself and stop others from using or having it
圖檔
As for the next line, "to have hair's own zip code" is a slang, meaning to have a fashionable hairstyle. I don't know the origin behind it, acutually. But here, Julia indicates she doesn't concern her hairstyle.
chiron 寫: 33. What does this sentence on p.373 mean: she'd either pushed up furniture or "pennied it shut"?
* penny as a verb means to put a penny in (, this should be an idiom, cause' I can't find the verbal ussage in the dictionary.) Here, it means Kate inserted a penny in the door crack to make it shut. (Since the door is jammed by the coin.)
chiron 寫: 34. Why did Kate say Gandhi or Martin Luther King, Jr. they wouldn't sigh the waiver on p.377? What waiver?
This should be related with the history. Here, I think that means both of them won't give up. So, it's hard to say who will win in the ring.
chiron 寫: 35. Why did Campbell say chaperonage is not a real word on p.378?
I thought you already know this word (chaperone) from our last book. Chaperone is an unmarried lady's companion, like a supervisor or guardian. Campbell said that because he is not a lady.
chiron 寫: 36. Why did Sara say, "you want to build a fire underneath her" on p.389? Isn't the analogy weird here?
Yeah, I thought it's weird. Maybe the person is frozen, so she wants to build a fire underneath the person. Maybe the fire indicates motivation or enerygy, the things she wants to provide the person.
chiron 寫: 37. What does this sentence on p.407 mean: Daddy fell deep into a bottle after she left, and had "to claw his way out"?
* claw (v) clutch as if in panic
Here it means Brian struggles to quit alcohol.
chiron 寫: 38. Campbell dumped Julia only because he has seizure. Base on Campbell's personality, are you satisfied with the plot? Why or why not?
No, I'm not satisfied with the explanation. 15 years, it's not only crazy but also too dramatic. Although, maybe they are not matured enough to deal with the life-long issue at that young age.
chiron 寫: 39. Did you cry throughout the novel, and in which part?
Yeah, I admitted it. It's a touching story especially it the part of the trial. Never read it in public.
chiron 寫: 40. On p.266, Anna tried to imagine the scenery of heaven, have you ever done that? What will it (heaven) and you be like, and why?
No, I don't believe the hell or heaven. If you ask me to imagine , I may say it's a place without darkness and full of all high frequences of light (visible or invisible), and material rules don't work there.
chiron 寫: 41. On p.321, Jesse admitted he set fire for he couldn't save Kate. Can you understand his motivation, or does he have any other choices?
Kind of. I thought male characters in the book are all self-destructive to a degree. Campbell, Jesse, and Brian in the end, on the contrary, the author seems to depict woman as strong, independent, competent, like Sara, Zanne, Julia, Anna except Kate. Isn't it some kind of sexual discrimination. Although women seem to deal with sufferings better than men.
Please call me Na'vi!
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

chiron 寫:1. What does this sentence on p.219 mean: Over his shoulder I could see the girl "pinking up"?
Here is the meaning I found over the internet:
Pink up: Medtalk A popular verb referring to a normalization of (pink) skin color from a bluish tinge typical of cyanosis
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/pink+up

I am not quite sure about its meaning, but I think it more or less describes the skin of a patient that is getting pink from bluish in the process of recovery.
chiron 寫:2. What does this sentence on p.228 mean: Sort of like this one used to be?
"this one" in the sentence refers to the description in the following paragraph. Just like Sara could not imagine life in the fancy house for herself, she never imagined that the miserable story would have happened on her, either.
chiron 寫:3. What does this sentence on p.228 mean: to feel myself crack down the middle?
To break right in the middle (of her heart). To describe that she was very sad about the stories.
chiron 寫:4. What is "long-distance rate announcement" on p.233?
I guess it's a letter of announcement from a telecommunication company.
chiron 寫:5. What does this sentence on p.240 mean: Well, I don't need to tell you that 11-year-old budding derelicts and house rules are like oil and water?
You cannot mix up oil and water. The comparison of "11-year-old budding derelicts" and "house rules" to "oil" and 'water" means that the "11-year-old budding derelicts" has nothing to do with "house rules". That is to say, the 11-year-old was unruly.
chiron 寫:6. What does this sentence on p.253 mean: Our conversations now are an economy of facts, full of blue chip details and insider information?
It's that they didn't chat like friends any longer. They talk to each other just to convey useful information.
chiron 寫:7. What does this sentence on p.256 mean: "courtesy of" the steroids she takes to treat it?
"thank to" or "because of".
chiron 寫:8. What does this sentence on p.256 mean: I am so accustomed to this that it doesn't "phase" me?
It doesn't "faze" me. In another word, it doesn’t "bother" me.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 308AAyGEFH
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 515AAYfua7
chiron 寫:9. What does this sentence on p.261 mean: I wonder why, when Jesse's history is not by any stretch as disappointing as his sister's.
Brian wondered why Jesse misbehaved like this since he was not as unfortunate as his sister was.
chiron 寫:10. What does this sentence on p.263 mean: Her body "spikes a fever". She is "pancultured"?
The meaning I found over the internet:
spiking fever: Hectic fever Infectious disease A highly nonspecific term for either a fever characterized by a daily spike in temperature, or one in which the peak and trough temperatures differ by 1.4ºC; the term may be so clinically meaningless as to completely abandon it.
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictio ... king+fever

I guess it means Kate's temperature hit a certain high level at the moment.
chiron 寫:11. What does this sentence on p.266 mean: So maybe there is a place in your life you wear out like a rut, or even better, like the soft spot on the couch. And no matter what else happens to you, you come back to that. What does Anna want to stress?
I think she compared life to a bouncy ball. No matter what happens in life, it would recover and make you get back to any age you want, spiritually.
chiron 寫:12. What does this sentence on p.263 mean: He "hits his groove" at 16?
He chooses and makes him in the age of 16.
chiron 寫:14. What does this sentence on p.280 mean: Anna will take one look at walking this gauntlet, and bolt?
I think both “gauntlet” and “bolt” are terms for hockey.
chiron 寫:15. What does this sentence on p.282 mean: In the car, Anna "rides shotgun" while Judge takes a seat in the back?
To ride shotgun: To travel as an armed guard next to a vehicle's driver. Latterly, (chiefly in the USA) - to travel in a car's front passenger seat.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/riding-shotgun.html
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

21. What does this sentence on p.313 mean: score "pot off" the ranch hands. Get stoned. "Tip cows."?
"Get stoned" seems to mean "take drugs."

Regarding "Tip cows," here I quoted some explanation from Wikipedia.

"Cow tipping or cow pushing is the purported activity of sneaking up on a sleeping, upright cow and pushing it over for fun. As cows do not sleep standing up, cow tipping is a myth. According to popular belief, cows can easily be pushed over without much force because they are slow-moving, slow-witted and weak-legged, have a high center of gravity and sleep standing up. Numerous publications have debunked cow-tipping as a myth. Cows do not sleep standing up, nor do their knees lock, making the act of cow-tipping impossible."

How to Cow-Tip:

22. Why did Jesse reply Kate: "Now, sis, you know I'm not that easy to kill." on p.314?
Maybe it's rare that Jesse will sit by Kate's bed in the hospital. When Kate awoke and found Jesse beside her, she joked that she must have been in hell since Jesse would come see her "when hell freezes over." Jesse got the joke and replied in a humorous way.

23. What does this sentence on p.317 mean: there's something to be said for the hero who "charges off" to battle?
run to battle

24. What does this sentence on p.318 mean: The difference between these fires and the other ones was that now "the stakes have been ratcheted up a notch."?
The risks the serial arson poses to human lives are increasing gradually.The arsonist this time set fire to a building that were more likely to have people inside.

25. How will you explain the adage on p.327: "If you want to see God laugh, make a plan."?
Good things wouldn't come to us by chance. They only come to people who are well-prepared.

26. What does this sentence on p.348 mean: I hired you because I thought you had a spine?
spine = courage or determination

27. Why did Campbell felt it funny as he heard "Dr Beata Neaux" on p.350?
I guess "Neaux" sounds like "No." Dr. No is a villain in the first James Bond movie. What makes Campbell feel funny is if Dr. "No" married Dr. Chance, she would be Dr. "No Chance." In short, Campbell is playing with words.

28. What does this sentence on p.352 mean: Developmentally her brain isn't "wired" yet to look that far ahead?
Her brain hasn't developed mature enough to do complicated thinking and foresee what's the long-term impact of her decision.

29. What does this sentence on p.358 mean: Julia is as ripped up about this case and what it's done to Anna as I am?
feel sad and empathetic about this case and Anna's suffering

30. What does this sentence on p.366 mean: Amnesia, on both sides of the event, is pretty common?
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

chiron 寫:16. What does this sentence on p.283 mean: But the selfish confession "saws out of her sideways", it just doesn't fit?
I don't know what "saws out of her sideways" means literally, but I think it is used to describe that the confession doesn't fit Anna well.
chiron 寫:17. What does this sentence on p.292 mean: Sometimes I "fall for it", mostly I just make him go to sleep. See, I get "a round hollow spot in my belly" knowing I could tell him what's coming, but also knowing it would come out sounding like a warning?
Fall for sth: to be tricked into believing something that is not true
a round hollow spot in my belly: it might sound irresponsible, but I don't think it's meaningful here. I think it's just a writing technique for the purpose of making the reading entertaining.
chiron 寫:18. What does this sentence on p.298 mean: She seems to realize "mid-tug" that maybe she shouldn't have done this?
I can't find the meaning of "mid-tug", but based on the literal meaning, maybe it means "in the middle of Sara's tugging at Anna's T-shirt"?
chiron 寫:19. What does this sentence on p.306 mean: but she's too self-conscious to "go commando"?
Although Kate had lost her hair, and she didn't like wearing a wig, she felt uncomfortable to bare her scalp.
chiron 寫:20. What does this sentence on p.312 mean: a pang goes through me, and immediately on its heels a single word: "practice"?
My guess is that Sara thought practice came right after pain. That is, we should train ourselves to overcome pain.
chiron 寫:28. What does this sentence on p.352 mean: Developmentally her brain isn't "wired" yet to look that far ahead?
The mechanism of our brain is like network of connection between different varieties of information. For Anna, she was too young for her brain to build up a strong connection with information in her brain.
chiron 寫:29. What does this sentence on p.358 mean: Julia is as ripped up about this case and what it's done to Anna as I am?
Julia is as enthusiastic about Anna's case as Campbell is.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Sherry Liao 寫:
chiron 寫:2. What does this sentence on p.228 mean: Sort of like this one used to be?
"this one" in the sentence refers to the description in the following paragraph. Just like Sara could not imagine life in the fancy house for herself, she never imagined that the miserable story would have happened on her, either.
To be specific, "this one" should be "this family" at this place.
Sherry Liao 寫:
chiron 寫:7. What does this sentence on p.256 mean: "courtesy of" the steroids she takes to treat it?
"thank to" or "because of"
You can also say, "as a result of."
Sherry Liao 寫:
chiron 寫:9. What does this sentence on p.261 mean: I wonder why, when Jesse's history is not by any stretch as disappointing as his sister's.
Brian wondered why Jesse misbehaved like this since he was not as unfortunate as his sister was.
* not by any stretch (ph.) used to say strongly that something is not true; 再怎麼說也不
Sherry Liao 寫:
chiron 寫:10. What does this sentence on p.263 mean: Her body "spikes a fever". She is "pancultured"?
The meaning I found over the internet:
spiking fever: Hectic fever Infectious disease A highly nonspecific term for either a fever characterized by a daily spike in temperature, or one in which the peak and trough temperatures differ by 1.4ºC; the term may be so clinically meaningless as to completely abandon it.
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictio ... king+fever

I guess it means Kate's temperature hit a certain high level at the moment.
* culture (v) to grow a group of cells or bacteria for medical or scientific study
* pan- (prefix) all; everything
I think "she is pancultured" means everything from her (including her blood, urine, stool, sputum) is cultured.
Sherry Liao 寫:
chiron 寫:14. What does this sentence on p.280 mean: Anna will take one look at walking this gauntlet, and bolt?
I think both “gauntlet” and “bolt” are terms for hockey.
I think "walk the gauntlet" means to "walk through the gauntlet", in another word, it means Anna has to walk through the crowd. I am not sure bolt is a verb or not. Any idea?
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Kooper 寫:21. What does this sentence on p.313 mean: score "pot off" the ranch hands. Get stoned. "Tip cows."?
"Get stoned" seems to mean "take drugs."

Regarding "Tip cows," here I quoted some explanation from Wikipedia.

"Cow tipping or cow pushing is the purported activity of sneaking up on a sleeping, upright cow and pushing it over for fun. As cows do not sleep standing up, cow tipping is a myth. According to popular belief, cows can easily be pushed over without much force because they are slow-moving, slow-witted and weak-legged, have a high center of gravity and sleep standing up. Numerous publications have debunked cow-tipping as a myth. Cows do not sleep standing up, nor do their knees lock, making the act of cow-tipping impossible."

How to Cow-Tip:
* ranch hand (n) a manual labourer on a ranch, such as a cowboy
* score (v) to buy or get illegal drugs
* pot (n) in informal ussage means "marijuana"
* score off somebody (ph.) to show that you are better than somebody, especially by making clever remarks, for example in an argument
I think "score pot off ranch hands" menas to get marijuana and frustrate those cowboys.
Kooper 寫: 23. What does this sentence on p.317 mean: there's something to be said for the hero who "charges off" to battle?
run to battle
It doesn't make sense here. Any other ideas?
Kooper 寫: 25. How will you explain the adage on p.327: "If you want to see God laugh, make a plan."?
Good things wouldn't come to us by chance. They only come to people who are well-prepared.
I think the most appropriate Chinese is "人算不如天算." How do you say?
Kooper 寫: 28. What does this sentence on p.352 mean: Developmentally her brain isn't "wired" yet to look that far ahead?
Her brain hasn't developed mature enough to do complicated thinking and foresee what's the long-term impact of her decision.
Yeah, you are right, and I also think this sentence means "the nerves in her brain" is not wired.
Kooper 寫: 29. What does this sentence on p.358 mean: Julia is as ripped up about this case and what it's (the case has) done to Anna as I am?
feel sad and empathetic about this case and Anna's suffering
I think here it means the case almost rips up Julia, for she costs so much energy and time. The sentence may indicate Julia knows the case the same as I.
Kooper 寫: 30. What does this sentence on p.366 mean: Amnesia, on both sides of the event, is pretty common?
Both sides of the event means before and after the event.
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Sherry Liao 寫:
chiron 寫:16. What does this sentence on p.283 mean: But the selfish confession "saws out of her sideways", it just doesn't fit?
I don't know what "saws out of her sideways" means literally, but I think it is used to describe that the confession doesn't fit Anna well.
Does anyone find the definition?
Sherry Liao 寫:
chiron 寫:17. What does this sentence on p.292 mean: Sometimes I "fall for it", mostly I just make him go to sleep. See, I get "a round hollow spot in my belly" knowing I could tell him what's coming, but also knowing it would come out sounding like a warning?
Fall for sth: to be tricked into believing something that is not true
a round hollow spot in my belly: it might sound irresponsible, but I don't think it's meaningful here. I think it's just a writing technique for the purpose of making the reading entertaining.
* fall for (ph.) also means "like"
So here it may mean "she likes it".
Sherry Liao 寫:
chiron 寫:20. What does this sentence on p.312 mean: a pang goes through me, and immediately on its heels a single word: "practice"?
My guess is that Sara thought practice came right after pain. That is, we should train ourselves to overcome pain.
I think it means the situation is like a practice prior to Kate's real relapse. Sooner or later Kate will face it again.
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

chiron 寫: 13. What does this sentence on p.274 mean: You can take the pink hair dye out of the girl, but you never lose those roots?
You can take pink dye out of your hair (by special liquid, waiting until it grows back or cutting it), but you'll never lose your natures.
chiron 寫: 42. In the trial, Anna finally comprehends no one would be real winner, how do you say? Who is the winner of this trial? Who is the loser? If you are born in the family, who would you like to play? Rescuer or be rescued or outsider...? And why?
I think Campbell and Julia are winners in this novel, especially Campbell, while Sara is definitely the loser. Though I want to be Jesse, considering my self-sacrificing, responsible, and hate-do-bother-others personality, I may choose Anna afterall. I fear pain, which is the reason I would never play Kate, and I am not so attached as Sara, so I won't choose her.
Please call me Na'vi!
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

32. What does this sentence on p.370 mean: I hog the covers and my hair has its own zip code?
Yes, I think you are right. But I think "my hair has its own zip code" is one way she makes fun of her own weirld hairstyle. Here is an article I found as below:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=zh-TW&q ... =&aq=f&oq=

33. What does this sentence on p.373 mean: she'd either pushed up furniture or "pennied it shut"?

I think "pennied it shut" means to put a coin in the gap of a door when it is closed. Below is a video clip I found:

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:ra ... =firefox-a
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

Sorry, I posted the wrong link. Here is the correct one:

http://thediversityprojekt.org/2008/11/ ... n-zipcode/
回覆文章