b,regards

ivy
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: ISG 100124 Newspaper / Magazine Column

文章 Kooper »

Optional assignment: pick one or two words you would like to learn or practice and make a sentence for each word.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Here is my summary.

Though U.S. Census predicted that sometime around 2050, in America, blacks, Latinos and people of Asian descents in total will outnumber whites, the author presents a different viewpoint. Rather than becoming a minority, he foresees, the definition of the white will expand by then and encompass those who are now considered to be minorities. Racial discrimination, however, won’t be a big deal as it is now and people’s ethnic backgrounds will no longer play a role in American’s lives.

History repeats itself. What happened in Europe is going to recur in America, the author claimed. Just centuries ago, not all Europeans were seen as “pure” whites. Italians, Jews, and Eastern Europeans – for instance - are considered to be different and inferior. As time goes by these Euro-ethnics have become middle-class and as white as other Europeans.

There was a twofold increase in the percentage of racially mixed couples in the last decade of the 20th century. Gallup’s pollsters in 2005 also showed that the majority of Americans hold an open attitude toward a relationship with people of different ethnic backgrounds. The inclination to interracial marriage is especially strong among younger generation – 95% of Americans under 30 accepted and a vast majority of them claimed to have gone out with a person of other race..
頭像
Just JJ
YOYO member
文章: 220
註冊時間: 週二 4月 29, 2008 7:34 pm

文章 Just JJ »

Essay: Why does that matter to be minority?

An article discussing about racism in these days is just non-sense. Especially a racism discussion is telling us “everything will be fine.” When a issue is worth to be discuss, it implies some unsolved conflicts, and discrepancy of interest allocation. Not to mention a statistic is worthless to be a reference.

When an African-American try to tell the white: “please don’t panic, you will still be the majority of this countries.”, this line is telling me you are the one is panicking. You are panicking at a issue no one seems to care anymore will be forgotten . Are you telling readers how worse the outcome will be to be the minority of a county? Are you telling those current minority groups that finally the day being the majority is coming, and they have waited the day so long. So, it is time for revenge? I am sorry. I can hardly comprehend the message here. The bottom line is I fail to see any huge racism issue recently. I fail to see Obama made any evil policy against the white due to the color of his skin. The only thing I can see is the talk of racism will come along because of this article. You are the one to bring this up.

The statistic is also problematic. A statistics about the acceptance of racially intermarried couples should not demonstrate simply on basis of age group. If the racism issue is so serious. All of the voices of “the white”, “the black”, or even the “the yellow” should be heard. It means this survey should be done separately among different ethics or races. Then, this kind of survey can convince me or public.

Being a minority in a country seems to be a group whose right is always taken away at some extent. When a issue is so sensitive, it should not be discussed on the daily basis. When this sensitive issue is over-discussed with no significant current affair happening, it is easy to cause antagonism among those people who is involved. Other than that a statistic related to race issue will be worth to refer to, only when the statistics shows different opinions from difference races.
jacksonwang
YOYO member
文章: 42
註冊時間: 週五 2月 27, 2009 11:14 am

文章 jacksonwang »

United States is headed to be different races, which are blacks, Latinos and Asian descent and those non-white people will become majority in nearing 2050.
In America’s early days, it was impossible to think that citizens as being other than white until U.S. naturalization act have been made. Meanwhile, Europeans distinguished themselves as better grades of white from Italians, Eastern Europeans and Jews who are inferior stock. They defined a debated and shaped immigration laws as well.
According to Gallup's pollster survey, majority were accepting interracial relationships in 2005, 95% Americans under 30 years old approved, compared to roughly 45% of those over 64. Indeed, the majority of younger people claimed to have dated a person of a different race or ethnic background.
The 2000 Census allowed Americans a wider range of options than did the 1990 Census. Racial categories were increased from five to six, Americans were allowed to claim more than one racial identity, and American Indians and Alaska natives were allowed to name their tribes.
Young generation choose mates, categorize or hang out people are less likely then their elders to erect rigid racial walls.
In short, race is not going to be as a big deal as before and it won’t be synonymous with destiny.

:)
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Dear classmates,

I am afraid that I cannot get my assignment done this week. The article is really difficult to me. I have been reading it repeatedly and thinking about the issue for days but still have no idea how to write a summary or an essay for it. :cccry:

If I can join the discussion with you, maybe I will get some help from you as to where my problem is and how to find out the point of this article. :(
回覆文章