回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

YOYO-ISG 100711 Transcribing 60-Second Science

文章 Kooper »

Dear ISG members,

Please transcribe the audio file you are assigned. Pick one or two words and instruct us how to use them. We will practice sentence making during the meeting.

1. Tanning_ Can You Be Addicted: Chiron, Timothy

2. Rat Grandmas_ Diet Linked to Granddaughters' Cancer: Jackson, Sherry

3. Healthy Women Can Still React As If Anorexic: Kooper, Ivy

4. Fast Food Thoughts Lead to General Impatience:Janet, Michael

5. Williams Syndrome Kids Show No Racial Bias: JJ

Hi Michael,
I also assigned you one. Hopefully you don't mind. :ssmile:
最後由 Kooper 於 週五 7月 09, 2010 1:47 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 7 次。
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: YOYO-ISG 100530 Transcribing 60-Second Science

文章 Michael-liu »

Hi, Kooper

I don't mind. Thanks

I used to scoff at the idea of _____ race. Are we really in such a hurry that we can’t wait for, like, 10 minutes for a regular bowl of rice? Well..yes, Yes, we are. And fast food may be making matters worse, because _________ psychological science shows even a glimpse of those golden arches makes us act impatiently. Fast food is a multi-billion dollar industry. For some of us, drive food dinners become a way of life. Granted sometimes we grab something very quick because we really don’t have time. But psychologists got to wondering whether all these speed eating might actually make us less patient. In a series of experiment, scientists show volunteers logos from several fast food chains, or ask them to recall the last time they visited, and they found out folks thought about fast food than read faster, even no one told them to hurry. They also express the preference for time-saving products like shampoo plus conditioner. And they tend to up for medium reward like getting a small cash payment right away, rather than waiting a week for a larger sum. So, if you want to ease the pace, forget meditation, try a slow cooker.

scoff at: to laugh at a person or idea, and talk about them in a way that shows you think they are stupid
Kooper
YOYO member

Re: YOYO-ISG 100709 Transcribing 60-Second Science

文章 Kooper »

Add one more audio file for JJ.
Kooper
YOYO member

Re: YOYO-ISG 100709 Transcribing 60-Second Science

文章 Kooper »

A New York Time reporter recently wrote this sentence: Like most ___ of the women I know, my relationship to food, to my weight, to my body is complicated. That relationship is now visible in our brains. When anorexic ___ women see images of overweight women, an area of the brain, the medial prefrontal cortex, lights up in a functional MRI. This region is associated with identity and self-reflection. Researches at xxx University studied women who seem to have no major body image issues based on a standard psychological assessment. This group was supposed to be the healthy controls. The scientist showed the apparently healthy women imagers of both overweight and thin female bodies and their medial prefrontal cortex lit up, particularly at images of overweight women. When a group of men looked at images of overweight men, there was no medial prefrontal cortex activity. So apparently women, unlike men, see photos of heavy women and think “Me too.” The author said this finding may mean that even apparently healthy women have, under the surface, issues related to food, weight and body image.

anorexia[n]: a mental illness that makes someone stop eating
anorexic [a]
Kooper
YOYO member

Re: YOYO-ISG 100711 Transcribing 60-Second Science

文章 Kooper »

ISG members,

Just a reminder. These are this week's assignments.
頭像
Just JJ
YOYO member
文章: 220
註冊時間: 週二 4月 29, 2008 7:34 pm

文章 Just JJ »

My part:

People start stereotyping early. Even Tarler?? react positively to remember their own race, but often distrust those from different groups. The seeds of racism are planted of everyone. Everyone that is accepted people with rare genetic condition called William Syndrome. William syndrome is marked by high defected mantle retardation and the lack of social anxiety that produce exceeding friendly human beings. The new study published in the current biography finds that children with William syndrome don’t make racial stereotype. Research redid previous social based experiment on twenty children with William syndrome and twenty controlled kids. The children view pictures of people of sorted races and genders in the signs of negative and positive storyline to each picture to deform the control group of further group on race and gender. The children with William syndrome, however, have no racial preference, although they’re still discriminated by gender. The results play a nuance ?? mechanism the stereotyping. The further study of weig??? that quote may suggest ways of reducing bias behavior toward vulnarable and maginalized group.

Interesting!!
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

This is Scientific American, 60-Second Science. I am Karen Hopkin. This will just take a minute. I used to ______(scuff?) the idea of ________(minmize?). I mean, are we really in such a hurry that we can't wait like ten minutes for a regular old ball of rice. Well, yes, yes, we are. And fast food maybe making matters worse. Because studies of _________( geropsychological?) science shows that even a glimp of those golden urges makes us act impatiently. Fast food is a multi-billion dollar industry, and for some of us, drive-through dinner is becoming a way of life. And sometimes we grab something quick because we really don't have time. But psychologists get us wondering whether all these speed eatings may actually make us less patient. In a series of experiments, the scientists show volunteer logos from several fast food chains, or ask them to recall the last time they visited. And it shows folks that thought about fast food would read faster, even though no one told them to hurry. They also expressed preference for time-saving products like shampoo plus conditioner. And they tend to up for medium rewards like getting a small cash payment right away rather than waiting a week for a larger sum. So if you want to ease the pace, forget meditation. Drive slow cooker. Thanks for the minute for Scientific American, 60-Second Science. I am Karen Hopkin.

Vocab:
1. drive-through
drive-through also drive-thru [countable]
a restaurant, bank etc where you can be served without getting out of your car
jacksonwang
YOYO member
文章: 42
註冊時間: 週五 2月 27, 2009 11:14 am

文章 jacksonwang »

My part.

How’s this for possible new coped for new breast cancer suffers? they may blame their grandmom’s diet. That’s the implication of study done through rats, researcher Ferrian with GeorgeTen University medical setter set a group of pregnant rats ate high fat diet through the adjusted station. With 43% calories coming from fat, a control group ate normal diet, bird groups consume the total same calories. All the rats offspring and next generation the granddaughters eat the normal diet. The high fat diet increases breast cancer in rats’ female offspring and more surprisingly, apparently increasing breast cancer in granddaughters. They had 80% chance developing disease comparing with 50% in control group, the result will represent at meeting of American Association for cancer research. Research dialyzed the high fat diet may change gene expression in grandmothers and the way somehow affect subsequence generation and lead a great breast cancer risk. The scientists say this may mean pregnant mom should eat well not only for half of their offspring but for feature generation as well.

:roll:
Ivy yw
文章: 19
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2008 9:46 pm

文章 Ivy yw »

When broswing the related news, i happened to find the same article. Words with red font means i can't catch it when lisetning.

A New York Times reporter recently wrote this sentence: Like most heck all of the women I know, my relationship to food, to my weight, to my body is complicated. That relationship is now visible in our brains.
When anorexic and bulimic women see images of overweight women, an area of the brain, the medial prefrontal cortex, lights up in a functional MRI. This region is associated with identity and self-reflection.
Researchers at x university studied women who seemed to have no major body image issues, based on a standard psychological assessment. This group was supposed to be the healthy controls. The scientists showed the apparently healthy women images of both overweight and thin female bodies. And their medial prefrontal cortex lit up, particularly at images of overweight women.
When a group of men looked at images of overweight men, there was no medial prefrontal cortex activity. So apparently women, unlike men, see photos of heavy women and think me too. The authors say that this finding may mean that even apparently healthy women have, under the surface, issues related to food, weight and body image.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Just JJ 寫:My part:

People start stereotyping early. Even Tarler?? react positively to remember their own race, but often distrust those from different groups. The seeds of racism are planted of everyone. Everyone that is accepted people with rare genetic condition called William Syndrome. William syndrome is marked by high defected mantle retardation and the lack of social anxiety that produce exceeding friendly human beings. The new study published in the current biography finds that children with William syndrome don’t make racial stereotype. Research redid previous social based experiment on twenty children with William syndrome and twenty controlled kids. The children view pictures of people of sorted races and genders in the signs of negative and positive storyline to each picture to deform the control group of further group on race and gender. The children with William syndrome, however, have no racial preference, although they’re still discriminated by gender. The results play a nuance ?? mechanism the stereotyping. The further study of weig??? that quote may suggest ways of reducing bias behavior toward vulnarable and maginalized group.
My revision:

People start stereotyping early. Even toddlers react positively to members of their own race, but often distrust those from different groups. The seeds of racism are planted in everyone. Everyone that is except people with a rare genetic condition called William Syndrome. William syndrome is marked by heart defects, mental retardation and the lack of social anxiety that produces exceedingly friendly human beings. A new study published in the journal Current Biography finds that children with William syndrome don’t make racial stereotype. Researchers redid previous social bias experiments on twenty children with William syndrome and twenty controlled kids. The children view pictures of people of assorted races and genders and sign(?) negative or positive storyline to each picture. True(?) to deform the control group prefer their own race and gender. The children with William syndrome, however, have no racial preference, although they still discriminate by gender. The results imply a nuanced neuron mechanism to stereotyping. The further study of weig??? that quote may suggest ways of reducing bias behavior toward vulnerable or marginalized groups.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Mike & Janet,

Here is my revision.

I used to scoff at the idea of Minute Rice. Are we really in such a hurry that we can’t wait for, like, 10 minutes for a regular bowl of rice? Well..yes, Yes, we are. And fast food may be making matters worse, because a study in the journal Psychological Science shows even a glimpse of those golden arches makes us act impatiently. Fast food is a multi-billion dollar industry. For some of us, drive-through dinners become a way of life. Granted sometimes we grab something quick because we really don’t have time. But psychologists got to wondering whether all these speed eating might actually make us less patient. In a series of experiment, scientists show volunteers logos from several fast food chains, or ask them to recall the last time they visited, and they found out folks who thought about fast food would then read faster, even no one told them to hurry. They also express the preference for time-saving products like shampoo plus conditioner. And they tend to up for immediate reward like getting a small cash payment right away, rather than waiting a week for a larger sum. So, if you want to ease the pace, forget meditation, try a slow cooker.

Minute Rice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minute_Rice
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

Hi Kooper,

Thanks for your revision. Sorry I felt too tired today so I won't join the on-line discussion. Hope you have a good time praticing.

Regards,
Janet
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Jackson,

Here is my revision.

How’s this for a possible new culprit for breast cancer suffers? they may be able to blame their grandmothers’ diet. That’s the implication of a study done with rats. Researchers affiliated with the Georgetown University Medical Center fed a group of pregnant rats a high fat diet through the adjusted station(?) with 43% of calories coming from fat. A control group ate a normal diet. Both groups consume the same total calories. All the rats’ offspring and the next generation, the granddaughters, ate the normal diet. The high-fat diet increases breast cancer in the rats’ female offspring and more surprisingly, apparently increase breast cancer in the granddaughters. They had an 80% chance of developing the disease, compared with 50% in the control group. The results represented at the meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research. Researchers theorized that the high-fat diet may change gene expression in the grandmothers in the way that somehow affect subsequent generations and lead a greater breast cancer risk. The scientists say this may mean that pregnant mom should eat well not only for the health of their offspring but for future generations as well.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

I am shocked at the fact that no one made it to the meeting this morning ... :(
回覆文章