回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

YOYO-ISG 100725 Spencer Wells on Tracking Migration

文章 Kooper »

Dear ISG members,

Here is a The Economist program called "Tea with The Economist." Please look up the 3rd video clips on the 1st page and write a summary of it. List one to three words that are mentioned in the interview and provide the definitions and sentences.

http://video.economist.com/?fr_chl=1257 ... d840915d9c
Kooper
YOYO member

Re: YOYO-ISG 100725 Spencer Wells on Tracking Migration

文章 Kooper »

http://www.wsu.edu/gened/learn-modules/ ... ture1.html
Here is an article on the emergence of agriculture. It might help you understand more about the interview contents.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Key words identified in the interview:

[0:36] a concerted scientific effort
[0:46] human origin
[1:17] linear molecule
[1:20] Watson and Crick double helix structure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_and_Crick) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_helix)
[1:43] co-inherit
[1:49] share common ancestor
[3:29] climatic shift
[3:33] ice age
[5:37] force sb into this corner
[5:48] calamity
[5:52] hunting & gathering lifestyle
[6:01] conundrum
[6:04] why did agriculture win up ___(?)
[6:09] gatherer
[6:25] hunters & gatherers should have a ____(?) advantage
[6:52] grew virally
[7:10] obesity, diabetes, hypertension
[7:22] sedentary life
[9:07] cultural cacophony
最後由 Kooper 於 週日 7月 25, 2010 7:01 am 編輯,總共編輯了 10 次。
頭像
Just JJ
YOYO member
文章: 220
註冊時間: 週二 4月 29, 2008 7:34 pm

文章 Just JJ »

My summary,

Biodiversity

The speaker tries to convince audiences that the engagement of biodiversity can literally benefit business.
Business is a money driven activity, the interviewee is discussing the surrounding issues of the whether business can actually be part of the biodiversity and what role a corporation can partake in.

The officer points out the need of rewarding the “carbon cutting” activities, other than the choices to punish people who pollutes the environment.
More than that, what a government can do one step further, is to finance the supporting measures.
The mechanism of how do reward the related measures on different levels in terms of communities level, business level, policies level, and the cooperation between countries level.
This officer also claims that intense farming is actually feasible for higher productivity which will more or less solve the problem of poverty and giving people better opportunity to work in developing country. The point he made is a lucrative outcome while the interviewer takes intensive farming as a trade-off between the land used by public and the land saved by Government for biodiversity purpose.
Considering the issue of the incentive for corporation to be engaged in biodiversity, the interviewee believes: The eco-friendly products can actually bring fortune for business, if both sides of products providers and consumers have the mechanism of supply and demand.

Great topic!! I found it interesting to access expert opinions through British accent. Great challenge, Kooper. 8)
最後由 Just JJ 於 週日 7月 25, 2010 5:52 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

文章 chiron »

Kooper 寫:Dear ISG members,

Here is a The Economist program called "Tea with The Economist." Please look up the 3rd video clips on the 1st page and write a summary of it. List one to three words that are mentioned in the interview and provide the definitions and sentences.

You mean the video, Pavan Sukhdev on the green economy -- Biodiversity and business??
Please call me Na'vi!
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

chiron 寫:
Kooper 寫:Dear ISG members,

You mean the video, Pavan Sukhdev on the green economy -- Biodiversity and business??
Nope, it is the video Spencer Wells on Tracking Migration. It is now the 5th video clips because two more have been added to the pool.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Just JJ 寫:My summary,

Biodiversity

Speaker tries to convince audiences that the engagement of biodiversity can literally benefit business
Business is a money driven activity, the interviewee is discussing the surrounding issue of the whether business can actually be part of the biodiversity and what role a corporation can partake in.

The officer point out the need of rewarding the “carbon cutting” activity, other than the choices to punish people who pollutes the environment.
More than that what a government can do one step further, is to finance the supporting measures.
The mechanism of how do reward the related measures on different levels in terms of communities level, business level, policies level, and the cooperation between countries level.
This officer also claims that intense farming is actually feasible for higher productivity which will more or less solve the problem of poverty and giving people better opportunity to work in developing country. The point he made is a lucrative outcome while the interviewer takes intensive farming as a trade-off between the land used by public and the land saving by Government for biodiversity purpose.
Considering the issue of the incentive for corporation to be engaged in biodiversity, the interviewee believes: The eco-friendly products can actually bring fortune for business, if both sides of products providers and consumers have the mechanism of supply and demand.

Great topic!! I found it interesting to access expert opinions through British accent. Great challenge, Kooper. 8)
Hi JJ,
You seem to look at a different video clip. The one I assigned (Spencer Wells on Tracking Migration) has become the fifth one on the web page because two more have been added lately. Anyway, if you don't have time for a second watching and summary, you can just introduce this one in the meeting.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Tracking Migration of Human Beings

Human beings originate from Africa. The earliest fossil record found so far tracks human ancestors back to 200,000 years ago. Ancient people, however, lingered in the Africa continent for three quarters of human history. Not until 50,000 to 60,000 years ago did our ancestors start to migrate out of Africa and scatter to different places of the world. Meanwhile, people started to gather wild grains and live a hunting and gathering lifestyle.

By 10,000 years ago the population of humanity had grown to 5 million and a turning point came when agriculture emerged simultaneously in multiple areas of the Earth. Researches on what made the coincidence of the cultural change at the same era are inconclusive – whether it was the result of cultural interactions, climate changes or others.

However, compared to hunting & gathering, agricultural way of living was seen less healthy to human beings; relatively few plant species dominated their diet; the dependency on few plants made human communities more vulnerable to weather variations; food gathering took place only at harvest times and harvested food had to be properly stored so that food supply weren’t be depleted during non-harvest time. The question why the farmers won out over the hunters and gatherers, given the many disadvantages, is still unanswered.
頭像
Just JJ
YOYO member

文章 Just JJ »

Kooper 寫:
Just JJ 寫:My summary,

Biodiversity

Hi JJ,
You seem to look at a different video clip. The one I assigned (Spencer Wells on Tracking Migration) has become the fifth one on the web page because two more have been added lately. Anyway, if you don't have time for a second watching and summary, you can just introduce this one in the meeting.
Oh my goodness :oops: I will "try" to catch up the one I missed.
BTW, I might be a liitle bit late TMR, but I will show up.
最後由 Just JJ 於 週日 7月 25, 2010 6:53 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1483
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

My summary:

Spencer Wells introduced the idea of Genographic Project, a program which tracks the DNA of people to have a whole concept about where our species originated and how our ancestors immigrated.

The researchers use the knowledge and technologies in genetics to create family trees to further locate the origin of human beings. It’s surprising to find that humanity is originated from Africa and have spent three quarters of human history there.

It was not until around ten thousand years ago that human development started to take off. It’s also around that point of time when the emergence of agriculture took place, when the climate started to get warmer and people started to settle down to hunt and gather as a way of living. Finally, the agriculture had been created. The reason for which human beings transferred their lifestyle dramatically from hunting and gathering to farming is probably this: more food could feed more people and people can have more children, which is an assurance of existence of a species.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

I didn’t include the last one-third of the interview in my summary, for I cannot see the connection between this part and the topic "Tracking Migration". Does anyone agree with me? In the last three minutes the interviewer kept asking questions about mental illness in modern societies. It’s a bit confusing to me. Was it a promotion of Wells’ new book? :?
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

in a blink of an eye: very quickly; in a short time
Ex.: The boy disappeared around the corner in a blink of an eye.

conceivable: that you can imagine or believe
Ex.: It is conceivable that they knew about it beforehand.

resoundingly: adverb of resounding
resounding: very great
Ex.: The plan was a resounding success/failure.
Ex.: resounding success/victory/defeat
頭像
Just JJ
YOYO member

文章 Just JJ »

Sherry Liao 寫:I didn’t include the last one-third of the interview in my summary, for I cannot see the connection between this part and the topic "Tracking Migration". Does anyone agree with me? In the last three minutes the interviewer kept asking questions about mental illness in modern societies. It’s a bit confusing to me. Was it a promotion of Wells’ new book? :?
Dear Sherry, I have different opinion. :sun:

To me, all the discussions are quite logical. They are all surrounded by one issue: The way people move and gather together.

01. (warming up) His own research project, (how does gene work to make people different) -->

02. Human starts to present in Africa, and then spread around the world.-->

03. Human learn to settle down partly because of weather as population keep growing.-->

04. Better health condition and longer life expectancy because of agriculture or medical advancement. -->

05. The modern way people gathering, (crowding and living in city, and connecting each other through facebook)
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

Spencer well is a director of an organization tracking human migration by comparing thousands of DNA samples from across the worldnew. And his new book explains the side effects of the battling life of hunter-gatherer.

Genographic project is using the tools of science trying to find out the origin of human. They complile the global data base of resource, trying to access the human genetic variation. And they call the genes that are passed on from generation to generation the "genetic markers". By comparing the patterns of the genetic markers, they can estimate when people share a common ancestor and where people live.

According to their study, human beings orginated from Africa. And our lifestyle also changed from hunter-gather to farming even to moderiztion due to the change of the enviroment.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

It's terrible to suspend my study in ISG and resumed. My speaking and writing are a whole mess!
回覆文章