文章 Kooper »

頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

Re: YOYO-ISG 100801 Transcribing 60-Second Science

文章 Wayne »

My first try is the transcription of "Tanning Can You Be Addicted", which definitely requires correction. Here it is.

This Is Scientific American’s Sixty Second Science. I am Christopher Intagliata. Got a minute?

Scientists finally verified something that Jersey Shores stars Snooki and Pauly did as they probably knew all along.

They say getting browned and tanned at a tanning salon may be addictive.

And more than often, you’re likely to get hooked, according to a study in an archive of Dermatology.

The research started with two questions that were commonly used to assess patients’ alcoholic abuse and substance related disorders, but they modified the questions to focus on indoor tanning habits.

For example, “Do you try to cut down the time you spend in attending tanning booths but find yourself still tanning?”

Then they gave those surveys to a couple hundreds of undergraduate students who sat and bathed on an average of twenty three times a year.

The result?

Fifty students who filled out this survey met the criteria for the addition to indoor tanning.

This group also reported great symptoms of anxiety and were more likely to use drugs and alcohol.

Investigators say drugs and tanning lamps might hook you in several means, including peer pressure.

As for Snooki, it may be time for intervention.

When asked whether she’d change the world if she could, she said, “Uh... I will attend a tanning bath at anybody’s home.”

Thanks for the minute.

For Scientific American’s Sixty Seconds, I am Christopher Intagliata.

Sunshine almost always makes me high.

By the way, the last line in the script is part of the lyrics of a John Denver's song, "Sunshine On My Shoulder", one of my favorite songs.
最後由 Wayne 於 週一 7月 26, 2010 11:26 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Dear Wayne,

It knocked my socks off when I saw your name show up here. My mind is a complete blank except one sentence - OH MY GOD!!!!!! :shock:

It's really a boost to me and to other members as well.

You are definitely welcome to do whatever the assignment is here. :ssmile:
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Here is my transcript of the 4th audio file.

If you’ve ever driven up to a mountain pass, you know that the higher you climb the colder you get. But on clear calm days, it can actually be colder in the valleys. That’s because under high pressure systems cold air slides down mountain slopes and pulls down below. Near Oregon Cascade, ridge line temperature has clocked in(?) at 27 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than those in the valley 2,600 feet below. So what happened when you take this variability and subject to climate changes? Well, a modern estimate from xxx says Western Oregon can warm 5 degrees Fahrenheit over the next century, but that’s probably more accurate for the valleys. Ridge top temperatures could rise as much as 14 degrees, according to research in the international journal of climatology. Oregon is projected to have more high pressure days as the climate changes. That means more cold air pulling in the valleys and more extreme temperature differences, which could disrupt the local ecosystem. We tend to think of climate change as a global or regional phenomenon, but as this research suggest you have to also think locally.
頭像
Wayne

文章 Wayne »

Kooper 寫:Dear Wayne,

It knocked my socks off when I saw your name show up here. My mind is a complete blank except one sentence - OH MY GOD!!!!!! :shock:

It's really a boost to me and to other members as well.

You are definitely welcome to do whatever the assignment is here. :ssmile:
Hi! Kooper, No time no see.

I think I missed a spot or two in the transcribing but hoped it'd help. Anyway, it's fun and challenging.
頭像
Wayne

文章 Wayne »

In Topic #2, I missed several spots. Here it is.

Multicellular Life Found That Doesn't Need Oxygen

This Is Scientific American’s Sixty Second Science. I am Cynthia Graber. This’ll take a minute.

As scientists delved deeper beneath the ocean’s surface, they find bizarre creatures that have adapted to harsh and extreme environments.

Now comes a new one: the discovery of the first multicellular animals that survive and reproduce entirely without oxygen.

Researchers had thought that only single-celled organisms such as
prokaryotes and protozoa could live in the oxygen-deprived environments of the deepest ocean.

When scientists did find multicellular organisms, they assume
they’d sunk from oxygen-enriched waters.

But over the past decade, scientists in Italy and Denmark sent three expeditions to fetch samples from sediments in what’s know as a deep hypersaline anoxic basin in Mediterranean.

And in the sediments, from almost two miles below the ocean surface they found three distinct species of a tiny multicellular animal phylum called Loricifera.

They don’t have mitochondria. Instead, they seem to have organelles that resemble hydrogenesomes, similar to mitochondria but they used anaerobic biochemistry.

Scientists don’t yet fully understand the biochemistry, but the discovery opens the possibility of complex life forms on oxygen-free planets.

Thanks for the minute.

For Scientific American’s Sixty Seconds, I am Cynthia Graber.
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 709
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Kooper 寫:Here is my transcript of the 4th audio file.

If you’ve ever driven up to a mountain pass, you know that the higher you climb the colder you get (it gets). But on clear calm days, it can actually be colder in the valleys. That’s because under high pressure systems cold air slides down mountain slopes and pulls down below. Near Oregon Cascade, ridge line temperature has clocked in(?) at 27 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than those in the valley 2,600 feet below. So what happened when you take this variability and subject to climate changes? Well, a modern estimate from xxx says Western Oregon can warm 5 degrees Fahrenheit over the next century, but that’s probably more accurate for the valleys. Ridge top temperatures could rise as much as 14 degrees, according to research in the international journal of climatology. Oregon is projected to have more high pressure days as the climate changes. That means more cold air pulling in the valleys and more extreme temperature differences, which could disrupt the local ecosystem. We tend to think of climate change as a global or regional phenomenon, but as this research suggest you have to also think locally.
According to Longman:

clock up something phrasal verb
to reach or achieve a particular number or amount:

It seems it fits in the article, but I don't know why it uses "clock in" here
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 709
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Here is my transcript and please help me fill in the blank or correct me if there is any error

If you listen _____ for a walk in the park or work in a garden, you are 20% to the way to give your mental health a good boost, because exercising in natural (?) area is not only good to your physical health, it can improve your mood and sense of well-being with as little as 5 minutes, says Researcher in the General Environmental Health and Technology. Exercise alone is known to make you happier, so is being in a natural (?) setting. So, scientists in a University of _____ wanted to see the effect of combining the two. They evaluated ten different UK studies involving more than 1200 people. Participants have taken part in activities such as gardening, sailing, and country walks and rated their mood and self-esteem. The research showed that both areas get a significant boost with as little as 5 minutes outdoor exercise and people with mental disorder benefited the most. Study author said this is the first study to quantify the amount of time needed to get a positive effect. So, download a few podcast and head out for a walk in the park.
頭像
Wayne

文章 Wayne »

Kooper 寫:Well, a modern estimate from xxx says Western Oregon can warm 5 degrees Fahrenheit over the next century,
Well done.

In "a modern estimate from xxx says...", xxx actually is IPCC, which stands for Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Regarding the transcript of "Tanning: Can you be addicted?", I tried to revise it in blue. Not sure if all of them are right. Please feel free to make corrections. :ssmile:

This Is Scientific American’s Sixty Second Science. I am Christopher Intagliata. Got a minute?

Scientists’ve finally verified something that Jersey Shores stars Snooki and Pauly D have probably known all along.

They say getting browned and tanned at a tanning salon may be addictive.

And the more often you tan, the more likely you’re to get hooked, according to a study in an archive of Dermatology.

The research started with two questionnaires commonly used to assess patients for alcoholic abuse and substance related disorders, but they modified the questions to focus on indoor tanning habits.

For example, “Do you try to cut down on the time you spend in tanning beds or booths but find yourself still tanning?”

Then they gave those surveys to a couple hundreds of undergraduate students who sat and bathed on an average of twenty three times a year.

The result?

Fifty students who filled out this survey met the author’s criteria for the addition to indoor tanning.

This group also reported greater symptoms of anxiety and were more likely to use drugs and alcohol.

Investigators say drugs and tanning lamps might hook you through similar means, including peer pressure.

As for Snooki, it may be time for intervention.

When asked whether she’d change the world if she could, she said, “Uh... I will put a tanning bath at everybody’s home.”

Thanks for the minute.

For Scientific American’s Sixty Seconds, I am Christopher Intagliata.

Sunshine almost always makes me high.
Christine_Wang
文章: 21
註冊時間: 週一 12月 07, 2009 9:24 am

文章 Christine_Wang »

Dear all,

It's the first for me to do the Transcription.
Even it's just 1 minute, it still takes me a long time to finish the transcription.
I know one expert has post it on the forum. But I want to give it a try without peeking his answer.
So, here is my part ~ (I know it maybe very terrible...)
This is Scientific Americans 60 seconds science. I am Christopher Tanyada, got the min? Scientists finally valify something in New Jersey short starts snooky and polidy has properly known how __. They give you a __ and tan salon maybe addictive. And more often you tan more likely you are get hurt. According to the study of archeology dermatology, researchers started with 2 questionnaires commonly used to a suspension of alcoholic abuse and subcentral__ disorders. But they malazise___ the question to focus on in ___ hobbits. For example, do you try to cut down on that time you spend in tanny and boot but find yourself still tanning? Then I give you a survey to couple hundreds undergraduates …..on average 23 times a year. There were all 50 students thought about …. the survey methotic criteria for . ….. this group also reports a great …… and are more likely using drugs and alcohol. Investigators say drugs and __ may hooky someone’s need, including peer pressure. As for snooky, it maybe time for __. When… changed the world, she could she said “I would play tanny back at everybody’s homes”. Thanks for the minute for Scientific American 60 second. I am Christopher Tanyada.
頭像
Wayne

文章 Wayne »

After reading Kooper's version, I learned I missed more than I thought. Many thanks to Kooper.
Ivy yw
文章: 19
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2008 9:46 pm

文章 Ivy yw »

My part

As scientist delve deeper beneath ocean’s surface, they found bizarre creatures that ever adapted to harsh and extreme environments. Now comes a new one. The discovery of the first multicellular animals that survive and reproduce entirely without oxygen. Researchers has thought that only single celled organisms such as prokaryotes and protozoa could live in the oxygen deprived environments of deepest ocean. When scientists x find multi-cellular organisms, they assumed there are sunk from oxygen enriched waters. But over the past decades, scientists in Italy and Denmark sent three expeditions to fetch samples from sediment in what known as deep x x basin in the Mediterranean. And in the sediments, for almost two miles below the ocean’s surface, they found three distinct species of tiny multicellular animals x called x. They don’t have x , instead they seemed to have organelles that resemble x similar to x but that use anaerobic chemistry. Scientists don’t yet fully understand the biochemistry but the discovery opens the possibility of complex life forms on oxygen-free planets
jacksonwang
YOYO member
文章: 42
註冊時間: 週五 2月 27, 2009 11:14 am

文章 jacksonwang »

This podcast is one minute long, if you recent will go for walking in park or walking in the garden, you are 20% of the weight to give you mental health a good boost. Because exercise in nature area is not only good for physical health, it can improve your mood and sense well-being and as little as five minutes. Census research in general environment health and technology, exercise alone will not make you happier so is being in the nature setting. So scientists that the university of assess want to did see the effect of combining too. They evaluate 10 different UK studies involving more then 1200 people, participant has taken part in activities such as gardening sailing and county walks and read their mood of self-esteem. The research showed that both areas get the significant boost with as little as 5 minutes about their exercise and people with mental disorders benefit the most. The study author said this is the first study to quantify the amount of time needed to get the positive effect. So download a few podcast and head out for walk in the park.

:)
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Wow... Wayne? :shock:
Is that you? It's so unreal! :o

Now there is no excuse to goof around. I should study harder.
回覆文章