Just JJ
YOYO member
文章: 220
註冊時間: 週二 4月 29, 2008 7:34 pm

YOYO-ISG 100815 The Oil Spill in Gulf

文章 Just JJ »

YOYO-ISG 100815 The Oil Spill in Gulf

Dear ISG teammates,
This week we will discuss the Oil spill in Gulf, it could be ecological crisis caused by human error.

Assignment:
Please write down a summary or an essay around this topic/ list those vocabularies you think is worth learning.

More info:
1. Have a laugh

2.More discussion
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: YOYO-ISG 100815 The Oil Spill in Gulf

文章 Kooper »

Just a reminder that starting from this week the skype meeting is starting at 8:00.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

The advances in deepwater oil drilling gave birth to a rig like the Deepwater Horizon, off the coast of Louisiana drilling oil wells 5000 feet under the surface of the sea. Engineers that designed and built the Deepwater Horizon would have been proud of their achievement, if and only if they made the same amount of efforts into technologies that can prevent and stop oil blowout blowout at that depth in the water. It is the imbalance of technological emphases and advances in the two areas that led to the 2nd largest ecological catastrophe in the US history.

Governments starting from now should impose the strictest security standards on the built and running of an oil drilling rig the same as a nuclear plant. The devastating impact of a large-scale oil spill on marine creatures and plants is no different from that of a nuclear plant explosion on human beings. Both claims countless lives on the spot and residual toxins, the spilled oil and the radiation, either linger inside bodies of the survivors or continue contaminating the surroundings generations after generations.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Dear ISG members,

I will not be able to join the online meeting tomorrow. I am leaving home and will not be back until Sunday night. I think I will post my assignment after I get back. Sorry about it.
jacksonwang
YOYO member
文章: 42
註冊時間: 週五 2月 27, 2009 11:14 am

文章 jacksonwang »

It’s heartbreaking news, the spill oil approach the shore and just few miles off the coast of Louisiana. 210,000 gallon of oil leak into the gulf every day. There is no indication or clue that can capture the flow any time soon. This spill is already American 2nd worst environment disaster on record, it could be on track to be the worst.
Basically, the sludge have broken down and broken down and slick move to land due to the wind shift. Sometimes slow burn the oil can mitigate the damage to environment since the air pollution produced by smoke from burning oil is less damage then slick. This slick has already caused the food chain disaster and affect fish man’s livelihood profoundly.
BP tried to block pipe with BOP (blow out preventer) but it did not shut it down due to enormous pressure on leaked pipe. One possibility is that using undersea collection device which is like inverted funnel, it can capture the oil and pumping out to the bargee before it spread out. Or drill the pipe to ride down the broken pipe and establish a new line. Many creatures start life cycle, million of shore birds nest here plus migration birds rely on this nursery of entire gulf have been contaminated and as long as these oil keep floating it can be re contaminated again within an hour.
頭像
Just JJ
YOYO member

文章 Just JJ »

My Summary,

BP has tried different measures to tackle the Oil Spill since the disaster began. They have tried by putting a cap on rig, capturing the leaking oil, and using Blowout Preventer (BOP). These measures, however, are all in vain due to the weather and the depth of the spot that the oil is spilling. BP will lose the game named Racing Against Time, because of the recontamination after each time BP tryed to clean.

This accident is not only affecting fish men who are actually suing BP, but also the underwater wildlife. The wildlife will involve the juvenile crabs and shrimps who can hardly survive without their nursery, the marsh along from New Orleans, Arizona, to Texas.

Some people are comparing the oil spill with the one in Alaska offshore twenty years ago. The expert believes the major different is that the oil slick in Arizona is an ongoing spill and keeps flowing to the gulf.
最後由 Just JJ 於 週日 8月 15, 2010 7:32 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

文章 chiron »

My Summary,

The 2nd record-breaking oil spill disaster is happening miles off the coast of Louisiana. Though the related authoritative tried to burn oil slick off yesterday, today, the strong wind, thinner and less-volatile oil slick made it impossible to do it again. Also, oil slick is spreading towards the bay by the strong wind. The reason of this event resulted from 3 pipelines 5 feet under water. A BOP (Blowout Preventer) device used to lock out one of the main licking pipelines didn’t work. The military has tried to use an inverse funnel to cover the one feet wide pipeline in diameter to narrow down leaking oil’s spreading area by forcing oil to pump upwards directly. Fishery is immensely impacted as environment is greatly damaged. Some sea lives living at the bottom of the water may swim away, but dolphins, porpoises, seabirds and turtles, these species living on the surface are in danger. Oil slick can also impact the ecology of the so-called futile fishery croissant. Some juvenile shrimps and crabs inhabiting at the marsh are the main food source of most species in the food chain, not to say the influence to migrant birds. The environmental catastrophe may take longer to recover just like another example in Alaska 20 years ago.
最後由 chiron 於 週日 8月 15, 2010 8:11 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 3 次。
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
Just JJ
YOYO member

文章 Just JJ »

Kooper 寫:The advances in deepwater oil drilling gave birth to a rig like the Deepwater Horizon, off the coast of Louisiana drilling oil wells 5000 feet under the surface of the sea. Engineers that designed and built the Deepwater Horizon would have been proud of their achievement......
Kooper,
Haha, I love this sarcasm, "Engineers that designed and built the Deepwater Horizon would have been proud of their achievement......" :lol:

Kooper, is "Give birth to...." is also your mocking language?? coz I think "give birth to" is a begining of something new. There is no doubt about that.
This event, however, is a terrible disaster, or we can say it's a catastrophe of all time. So is it also your mocking language?
頭像
Just JJ
YOYO member

文章 Just JJ »

The link is the latest news about this event. We may not discuss about it. I just want to keep us informed the lastest info.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010 ... gency-plan
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

The oil spill in Gulf has caused a big disaster in America and might have a great impact on the environment.In the beginning, BP (British petroleum) found there is oil leaking from ruptured well. They don't want to take responsibility for the oil spill so they blame the the rig manufacturer for the mistake. However, the plan A to stop the oil leak is whimsical. Anyone who is street smart can tell it doesn't work. Then they have plan B which is as ridiculous as plan A. And finally, they started trying to use the undersea collection device which will capture the oil before it spread out and pump it up to a barge.

According to the latest news, the oil is vanishing quickly in Gulf due to the bacteria in the ocean that can eat oil. But it still cannot stop the damages to the fishery which might also endanager the health of people with the contamination of the seafood.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

My summary:

The event of oil spill off the coast of Louisiana is obviously going to be a catastrophe. According to the task force that is handling this emergency, the slick is enormous, and wind is now pushing it even closer to the shore. The well which causes this disaster is leaking 210,000 gallons oil a day into the gulf. It is already America’s second worst environmental disaster on record. As the rate is going, it might be going to be the worst.

According to the report of (name) in the CNN weather center, the way of the wind is shifted, so the oil is blown to the shore. It keeps moving toward the north and the west, and flowing alongshore to the cities on the coast. The authorities were trying to burning the oil off yesterday. But they didn’t to it today because the wind was too strong. As spilled oil keeps getting in plants which are foods for every creature in or over water, it will be a food chain disaster. Some fishermen who earn a living in the area have filed lawsuits against BP.

Now BP and the military are trying to fix the problems. But the efforts could take weeks and so far there is no sure thing.

Since the oil is rising to the surface, some animals live around the surface of water will have nowhere to go. When the oil hit shore, it could get even more complex. The marshes along the coast are nursery of many species, and half billion migration birds over the United States are coming here right now. To make it worse, the coast is winding, which means the shorelines are long, therefore each time when one of these areas is cleared, it can be contaminated again within hours. Compared to the oil spill event over 20 years ago, which took place in a more enclosed area and the spill was limited, the present disaster seems no end in sight.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Kooper 寫:Both claims countless lives on the spot and residual toxins, the spilled oil and the radiation, either linger inside bodies of the survivors or continue contaminating the surroundings generations after generations.
The punctuation here make this sentence sounds a bit confusing. Also, (correct me if I am wrong) I suppose “toxin” is more about something biological. If it is caused by something like oil contamination or nuclear explosion, “toxic substance” would sound better.

I don't know how to put a better punctuation. But I may write it this way:

“Both claim countless lives on the spot and cause harmful substances. The residual toxic substances, the spilled oil and the radiation, either linger inside bodies of the survivors or remain in the environment for decades or longer, will continue influrencing the areas generations after generations.”
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

chiron 寫:My Summary,

The 2nd record-breaking oil spill disaster is happening miles off the coast of Louisiana. Though the related authoritative tried to burn oil slick off yesterday, today, the strong wind, thinner and less-volatile oil slick made it impossible to do it again. Also, oil slick is spreading towards the bay by the strong wind. The reason of this event resulted from 3 pipelines 5 feet under water. A BOP (Blowout Preventer) device used to lock out one of the main licking pipelines didn’t work. The military has tried to use an inverse funnel to cover the one feet wide pipeline in diameter to narrow down leaking oil’s spreading area by forcing oil to pump upwards directly. Fishery is immensely impacted as environment is greatly damaged. Some sea lives living at the bottom of the water may swim away, but dolphins, porpoises, seabirds and turtles, these species living on the surface are in danger. Oil slick can also impact the ecology of the so-called futile fishery croissant. Some juvenile shrimps and crabs inhabiting at the marsh are the main food source of most species in the food chain, not to say the influence to migrant birds. The environmental catastrophe may take longer to recover just like another example in Alaska 20 years ago.
Hi Chiron,

Your summary is impressive. Seems like you recognized every detail of the report. But the last sentence is bit confusing. I think it should be "The environmental catastrophe may take longer to recover compared to another event in Alaska 20 years ago.", right?
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

janet12tw 寫:The oil spill in Gulf has caused a big disaster in America and might have a great impact on the environment.In the beginning, BP (British petroleum) found there is oil leaking from ruptured well. They don't want to take responsibility for the oil spill so they blame the the rig manufacturer for the mistake. However, the plan A to stop the oil leak is whimsical. Anyone who is street smart can tell it doesn't work. Then they have plan B which is as ridiculous as plan A. And finally, they started trying to use the undersea collection device which will capture the oil before it spread out and pump it up to a barge.

According to the latest news, the oil is vanishing quickly in Gulf due to the bacteria in the ocean that can eat oil. But it still cannot stop the damages to the fishery which might also endanager the health of people with the contamination of the seafood.
Janet's report is very interesting. I am curious about the contents of the whimsical plans A and B, but it's really hard to find the pieces of news months ago.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Just JJ 寫:More info:
1. Have a laugh
So what's that bagel eating man supposed to do? :?
回覆文章