YOYO-ISG 100822 Short Englsih Story (Host: Chiron)

回覆文章
頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

YOYO-ISG 100822 Short Englsih Story (Host: Chiron)

文章 chiron »

Guys: Please pick up one short English story from the link I provide below. Summaize and post it on forum. If you don't mind, you may also wirte down words, pharases, or good senctences worth learning. Prepare to report it in a dramatic tone for our Sunday morning meeting starting from 8:00 a.m.
http://www.shortstoryarchive.com/

p.s. Remember to sign your story title on forum to avoid choosing the same story. First sign, first win.
最後由 chiron 於 週四 8月 19, 2010 2:35 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

Re: YOYO-ISG 100822 Short Englsih Story (Host: Chiron)

文章 chiron »

chiron 寫:Guys: Please pick up one short English story from the link I provide below. Summaize and post it on forum. You should prepare to report it on our Sunday morning meeting.

p.s. Remember to sign your story title on forum to avoid choosing the same story. First sign, first win.
Chiron: THE REMARKABLE ROCKET by: Oscar Wilde --> Attention! I changed it.
最後由 chiron 於 週四 8月 19, 2010 2:42 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 4 次。
Please call me Na'vi!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

chiron 寫:
chiron 寫:Guys: Please pick up one short English story from the link I provide below. Summaize and post it on forum. You should prepare to report it on our Sunday morning meeting.

Chiron: The Angel of the Odd (under Funny Stories)
Kooper: The Five Boons of Life
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Bad news, I can't attend this week's ISG meeting cause' I'm going to attend my church's activity. Can anyone be my substitute? JJ? But I'll post my assignment before Sunday. BTW, I suggest you practice telling your story in a dramatic tone, how's that??
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

chiron 寫:

Chiron: THE REMARKABLE ROCKET by: Oscar Wilde --> Attention! I changed it.
It's one of the lovely fable written by the famous writer, Oscar Wilde (王爾德). This story is about a remarkable cracker thinking itself is much important than any other fireworks in the same deal box. It regards itself much sensitive and easily moved by its own sympathy, so on the day before prince and princess are going to marry, it deeply damps itself as it cries while other fireworks are successfully set off and mockingly watching it threw away for its uselessness. However, the remarkable firework is confident and cheeky enough to believe it was thrown to a ditch only for a short term healthy-reasoned vacation; therefore, it always has ways to convince itself that it's frog, goose, and dragon fly's ignorance that can’t understand how magnificence it is. In the end, 2 boys running by pick it out from the ditch and throw it into a pile to make a fire for boiling a kettle. The arrogant firework is fired as it wishes and shot into the sky with the illusion of how the world will be shocked by its brilliant performance in the sky and talk about it for a very long time.

1. air【音】主調; 曲調[C]
Indeed, he knew only two airs, and was never quite certain which one he was playing.
2. Aurora Borealis 北極光
3. Bengal Light 仙女棒
4. pride 使得意, 以...自豪[(+on)]
A pensive Catherine Wheel, who had been attached to an old deal box in early life, and prided herself on her broken heart.
5. beat time(隨着音樂)打拍子
The great red poppies nodded their heads and beat time.

~She was one of those people who think that, if you say the same thing over and over a great many times, it becomes true in the end.~
Please call me Na'vi!
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

My summary of The Five Boons of Life by Mark Twain:

A fairy came up to a young man and offered him a chance to pick one gift out of her basket. There were five things in the basket - Fame, Love, Riches, Pleasure, and Death – and only one of them was valuable, the fairy said. Over the course of his lifetime, the young man was given four times to select or reselect the gift. Unfortunately, he never made the right choice; Pain was disguised as Pleasure; Love, Fame, and Riches turned out to be Grief, Shame, and Poverty. By the time when he finally got a handle on the unmatched value of Death, the aging man had let the chance slipped through his fingers – the Death had been given to a child. What left to the man were long-lasting suffering of debility and illness.
頭像
Just JJ
YOYO member
文章: 220
註冊時間: 週二 4月 29, 2008 7:34 pm

文章 Just JJ »

THE FIVE BOONS OF LIFE

Summary:
To many people, very single gift in the fairy story seems to be the ultimate destination, other than the Death. The “Pleasure” can bring us delight life, but what if every event that causes pleasure can only last for very short time. The “Love” can bring us content mind. It, however, also come along with desolation, if it is gone so fast and repeat itself. Fame can bring us eyesight of others, but it will backfire for envy. The “Wealth” can bring as luxuriy, but it will lose the true meaning of “best” and “knowledge”.

Favorite Sentence:
(From Chapter 3)
My name filled the world, and its praises were on every tongue, and it seemed well with me for a little while.
頭像
Just JJ
YOYO member

文章 Just JJ »

chiron 寫:Bad news, I can't attend this week's ISG meeting cause' I'm going to attend my church's activity. Can anyone be my substitute? JJ? But I'll post my assignment before Sunday. BTW, I suggest you practice telling your story in a dramatic tone, how's that??
Be cool, man. I think we can pick up the host on the spot.

"Dramatic tone", I like that.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1483
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

JEMINA, THE MOUNTAIN GIRL
by: F. Scott Fitzgerald

Summary:
A sixteen-year-old girl named Jemina Tantrum lived in the mountains of Kentucky. She had been supporting her family by brewing whiskey for over 12 years. She was poorly educated, vulgar and unattractive, a ravage of living in nothing short of a barbaric area and toiling for a long period of time. One day a young man went there and asked for her father. Unlike anyone she had ever known in her life, the man seemed well-educated, civilized, and was good-looking.

The Tantrums had been feuding with another clan, the Doldrums, for generations. When the young man was in Jemina’s house talking with her father (in an attempt to get her father’s land in a low price), the Doldrums approached and attacked the house. Too few to fight the many, the Tantrums were soon besieged and fell into desperate straits. The poor young man tried to escape from the catastrophe, but in vain. When the house burned and the wall started to fall in, the disheartened man told Jemina that he would have married her if they had lived. They kissed each other and then perished in the burning building. When the Doldrums entered, they found the two dead in each other’s arms.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Just JJ 寫:THE FIVE BOONS OF LIFE

Summary:
To many people, very single gift in the fairy story seems to be the ultimate destination, other than the Death. The “Pleasure” can bring us delight life, but what if every event that causes pleasure can only last for very short time. The “Love” can bring us content mind. It, however, also come along with desolation, if it is gone so fast and repeat itself. Fame can bring us eyesight of others, but it will backfire for envy. The “Wealth” can bring as luxuriy, but it will lose the true meaning of “best” and “knowledge”.

Favorite Sentence:
(From Chapter 3)
My name filled the world, and its praises were on every tongue, and it seemed well with me for a little while.
Why do you choose the same story as Kooper's? Is it an coincidence??
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Sherry Liao 寫:JEMINA, THE MOUNTAIN GIRL
by: F. Scott Fitzgerald

Summary:
A sixteen-year-old girl named Jemina Tantrum lived in the mountains of Kentucky. She had been supporting her family by brewing whiskey for over 12 years. She was poorly educated, vulgar and unattractive, a ravage of living in nothing short of a barbaric area and toiling for a long period of time. One day a young man went there and asked for her father. Unlike anyone she had ever known in her life, the man seemed well-educated, civilized, and was good-looking.
Interesting last name!! But what does the story want to emphasize? The educated V.S. the barbaric?? Why does the author use the title -- "the 'mountain' girl"??
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
Just JJ
YOYO member

文章 Just JJ »

Kooper, I found a discussion that has the answer we haven't reached in "The Five Boons of Life" yet.

Mitchell said...
Here's a private note Mark Twain wrote about a suicidal moment in his own youth.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 03,00.html

When I first read this fairy tale the ending rang false. How does the fairy have the power to withhold Death? Apparently, unlike his protagonist, Twain himself still had wife and children alive in his old age. It is conceivable that this was the main thing keeping him alive when he wrote this story, and that the fairy's unfriendly attitude at the end is just a way to avoid stating the fact that it was Love which made him endure Old Age, not supernatural whim.

I am dissatisfied with the manner of my rejection of the story. I still hope to achieve great things in my own life, so I certainly reject the philosophy of despair. But I'm not yet equal to the task of projecting an alternative vision of the totality of things. I often haul out Celia Green in moments like these; e.g. see the last chapter of her best-known book, or her description of the alternative to sanity. I don't quite endorse her analysis of ordinary psychology, in particular, but the possibility of very different attitudes to life is an important one to know about. I consider it an open question as to how widely available such attitudes are; they may be an option only for certain types of people.

August 9, 2008 5:30 AM
回覆文章