YOYO-ISG 101003 TV series, Desperate Housewives

Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

Re: YOYO-ISG 101003 TV series, Desperate Housewives

文章 Sherry Liao »

Dear ISG members,

The first episode is so interesting it really makes me want to keep watching what’s going on. Thanks for your efforts and arrangements of this unit. It’s a pity that I can’t make it tomorrow. I hope you all have enjoyed the clip and will have a good discussion.

I am not at home and have no dictionary with me now. I will post my word/expression list later, maybe tomorrow evening.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

文章 chiron »

sophie3333 寫:Hi Chiron,
Just when I tried to book this DVD from library, I was suspended for few month. I didn't get library's email message for my reserved book and didn't know those novels should be picked up before last Tue. therfore I was suspended :( . The on-line vedio is not accecible on Mac platform, -->Internet vedio was also a dead end. I have no idea what is the content in Desperated Houswife. well, see u some other time.

Enjoy ur talk tomorrow.
Sophie3333
Hello, Sophie:
Maybe you can download its scripts to study with us for the first few weeks until you solve the problem of DVD. I believe you still can answer some of our questions withoug watching the videos. Hope you can join us soon. Good luck to your computer, internet connection or library.
Please call me Na'vi!
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

1. drop in on unannounced 不請自來
Ex: Mrs. Huber tried to think of a reason for dropping in on me unannounced
2. act up 搗蛋、惡作劇或胡鬧
Ex: The kids began to act up when the teacher left.
3. frazzled
feeling tired and anxious, for example after a journey or because you are very busy:
Ex: The meeting left me feeling completely frazzled.
4. skeleton in the closet
If someone has a skeleton in the closet, they have a dark, shameful secret in their past that they want to remain secret.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Dear members,

Here are a few colloquial questions. Let's practice and find answers from the transcript of episode one.

1. 當朋友帶禮物(ex:自己做的食物)來你家時, 你可以說… 然後你朋友可以說…
2. 在公共場所, 同伴說話太大聲時, 你可以說…
3. 友人親人喪禮時, 碰到他可以說…
4. 形容人表裡不一可以說…
5. 當友人完成一件值得稱讚的事時, 可以對他說…
6. 認為某人過去該作某事(那人實際上並沒作那件事), 應用哪個助動詞?
7. 鼓勵他人勇敢面對困境時說…
8. 拿東西給別人時說…
9. 要某人走過來到你身邊時說…
10. 兩人正在講話, 要插話時說…
11. 表示自己作的菜隨便作作的
12. 鄰居無預警來訪,但不方便他進來時說…
13. 一直被某人命令這命令那時說…
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Here is a dialogue quoted from episode one: "ANDREW: Mom, I'm not the one with the problem here, alright? You're the one always acting like she's running for mayor of Stepford."
The Stepford Wives is a 1972 satirical thriller novel by Ira Levin. The story concerns Joanna Eberhart, a photographer and young mother who begins to suspect that the frighteningly submissive housewives in her new idyllic Connecticut neighborhood may be robots created by their husbands. The novel has been viewed by some as a satire on stereotypical American housewives, as well as a study on feminism[citatio
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stepford_Wives
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Kooper 寫:Here is a dialogue quoted from episode one: "ANDREW: Mom, I'm not the one with the problem here, alright? You're the one always acting like she's running for mayor of Stepford."
The Stepford Wives is a 1972 satirical thriller novel by Ira Levin. The story concerns Joanna Eberhart, a photographer and young mother who begins to suspect that the frighteningly submissive housewives in her new idyllic Connecticut neighborhood may be robots created by their husbands. The novel has been viewed by some as a satire on stereotypical American housewives, as well as a study on feminism[citatio
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stepford_Wives
You know the novel is also adapted and filmed for few times. The most recent version was starred by 妮可基嫚. It's Chinese title is 超完美嬌妻. I pretty love this one. Funny of all, I also think of this movie when the housewife makes her debut in this TV series. Perhaps, the playwright borrows her image from this novel. Who knows?
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Kooper 寫:Dear members,

Here are a few colloquial questions. Let's practice and find answers from the transcript of episode one.

3. 友人親人喪禮時, 碰到他可以說…
4. 形容人表裡不一可以說…
7. 鼓勵他人勇敢面對困境時說…
8. 拿東西給別人時說…
9. 要某人走過來到你身邊時說…
10. 兩人正在講話, 要插話時說…
11. 表示自己作的菜隨便作作的
12. 鄰居無預警來訪,但不方便他進來時說…
13. 一直被某人命令這命令那時說…
The part is creative. Thanks Kooper for his ingenuity!
Please call me Na'vi!
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

BREE: I know that you think I'm angry about coming here, but I'm not. I mean, the kids wanted a change of pace, something fun. I get it. (smiles at REX) Probably will want something healthier tomorrow night though, I'm thinking about chicken?
REX: (interrupts BREE) I want a divorce. (BREE looks at him, stunned) I just can't live in this... this detergent commercial anymore.

Question: why did REX describe their marriage as a detergent commercial?
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(3): Chiron, Janet, Kooper
Present(1): Michael Liu
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

Hi Kooper,

I think I heard this expression "detergent commercial" before. Here is the explanation I found by Google as below:

"Most detergent commercials feature happy housewives doing the laundry as though it's a great pleasure instead of a necessary household chore. It's obvious that one of the women (Bree) in the show is not at all happy and doesn't want to pretend that she's as happy as the women in the detergent commercials who "pretend" that doing the laundry is such a happy thing."

And here is a link of a detergent commercial as follows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AVfhSWoI1g

Reference: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1220469

Janet
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

janet12tw 寫:Hi Kooper,

I think I heard this expression "detergent commercial" before. Here is the explanation I found by Google as below:

"Most detergent commercials feature happy housewives doing the laundry as though it's a great pleasure instead of a necessary household chore. It's obvious that one of the women (Bree) in the show is not at all happy and doesn't want to pretend that she's as happy as the women in the detergent commercials who "pretend" that doing the laundry is such a happy thing."

And here is a link of a detergent commercial as follows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AVfhSWoI1g

Reference: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1220469

Janet
Hi Janet,

Thanks for the sharing. The content of the quotation looks a bit confusing, so I clicked the link to check further. It seems that the answerer did not watch the series (at least not this episode), as you will see the question is:

… “I have a question while watching Desperate Housewives. " I just can't live in this... this detergent commercial anymore. So, I want a divorce"

Is "detergent commercial" an idom? ”

And the answer:

“No, it's not, but it's meaning is quite clear. Most detergent commercials feature happy housewives doing the laundry as though it's a great pleasure instead of a necessary household chore. It's obvious that one of the women in the show is not at all happy and doesn't want to pretend that she's as happy as the women in the detergent commercials who "pretend" that doing the laundry is such a happy thing. ”

It’s obvious that the answerer mistook the talker for the housewife.

While I think the above answer almost hits, I believe it does not have much to do with “happy” or not. What Bree’s husband meant is that he didn’t want to live a perfect life like what we always see in detergent commercials – everything is neat and tidy, like a “model” that is so unreal.

Every time when I watch a commercial like this, I was always amazed, “whoa, how could I keep my life like this?” Although the scene looks comfortable, I believe people in real world live in such a circumstance must be driven crazy.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

from scratch: without any previous preparation or knowledge
Ex.: I learned German from scratch in six months.
Ex.: They decided to dismantle the machine and start again from scratch.

get the show on the road: to start an activity or a journey
Ex.: Let’s this show on the road.
Ex.: Hurry! Mom and Dad are waiting. Let’s get the show on the road.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Hi Janet,

Good for you! (BTW, no sarcasm here :wink: )
Though the answerer mistook the talker for the housewife, his explanation is quite clear. Your sharing is very helpful. :sun:
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

I am sorry ... No offense intended.

I should not have posted such a reply. I just wanted to share my personal opinions with you. I agree that the WordReference's comments are valuable.
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Kooper 寫:Dear members,

Yes, Like Chiron said, this is a creative quiz, good job! Kooper. May I give it a try? ( without watching the episode) Actually, I watched two seasons of Desperate Housewives 4 years ago

wow..You don't have to do that....
keep it down!
3. 友人親人喪禮時, 碰到他可以說…
My condolences or I am sorry for your lost
4. 形容人表裡不一可以說…
good job! well done!! ( haha, i guess my answers are too common and too easy :P )
You should have + PP
7. 鼓勵他人勇敢面對困境時說…
8. 拿東西給別人時說…
Here you go!
9. 要某人走過來到你身邊時說…
10. 兩人正在講話, 要插話時說…
Sorry to interrupt
11. 表示自己作的菜隨便作作的
12. 鄰居無預警來訪,但不方便他進來時說…
13. 一直被某人命令這命令那時說…
回覆文章