YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

YOYO-ISG 101003 TV series, Desperate Housewives

文章 chiron »

chiron 寫:
chiron 寫:
chiron 寫:Dear ISG or non-ISG members:
Kooper and I would like to insert this unit to replace the original novel sesssion in ISG. We have some preferred TV episodes as bellow, of course, you can have your own suggesion and then we can choose from one of them. We would like to watch these episodes, study their scripts and discuss anything worth duscussing. The meeting is also held on Sunday morning as other ISG units. So, if you can get up before 8 a.m., and are interestetd in watching TV episodes, pls join us and provide your preferred recommendation. (That better can be found on pps or pptv, we do want to save the trouble of borrowing from Blockbuster, right?)

慾望師奶 (Desperate Housewives) [簡介][第一季劇本]
神奇小子/天賜 (Kyle XY) [簡介][pptv 線上收看][pps 線上收看]
大家都愛雷蒙 (Everybody Loves Raymond) [簡介]
艾利的異想世界 [簡介]
生活大爆炸 [簡介][pptv 線上收看]
老爸老媽的浪漫史 [簡介][pptv 線上收看][第一季劇本(請用wordpad開啟)]
Guys:
We decided to watch Desperate Housewives. You can find it on pps, so please install the software from the link I provide above. Attention, you need to register to get the full access. You can also download the script if you need it.

We will discuss the 1st episode of the 1st season, so please prepare by taking notes of at least 3 good sentences, words or phrases worth learning, and posting your summary or any reflection about the 1st episode under this post. Enjoy it.

p.s. Remember to use the keyword "絕望主婦"to search for the TV series in PPS for the translation variation between China and Taiwan.
Dears: I'm going to have another activity on 9/26 morning, so I ask Kooper to swith it to 10/3. Pls forgive me to postpone it and pls join us on 10/3. We will discuss the 1st episode of the 1st season, so please prepare by taking notes of at least 3 good sentences, words or phrases worth learning, and posting your summary or any reflection about the 1st episode under this post. Enjoy it.

I think we may discuss these questions on Sun. morning? Remember it starts from 8 o’clock.

1. Why is the TV series called “’Desperate’ Wives”? Why are they desperate? Explain from your personal viewpoints.
2. Compare this TV series with “Sex and the City”. What are their common places?
3. What do these 4 women (LYNETTE, CARLOS, BREE, SUSAN)/and their families stand for? Do they reveal any American typical values?
4. Why did Mark kill herself? Take a wild guess.
5. Why was Mary’s husband digging in their swimming pool? Take a wild guess.
6. What’s Mike’s true identity? Take a wild guess.
7. Do you want to watch more episodes next time? So we can have more stuffs to discuss. Or do you have any other comments about the new unit in ISG?

p.s. The excerpt from Toshi’s previous topic may bring us hint toward question 1, as below:

So, in the U.S. we have more stuff than ever before, but polls show that our national happiness is actually declining. Our national happiness peaked sometime in the 1950s,58 the same time as this consumption mania exploded. Hmmm. Interesting coincidence.
最後由 chiron 於 週日 10月 03, 2010 7:56 am 編輯,總共編輯了 11 次。
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
Just JJ
YOYO member
文章: 220
註冊時間: 週二 4月 29, 2008 7:34 pm

Re: New Session in ISG -- TV episode

文章 Just JJ »

chiron 寫: 慾望師奶 (Desperate Housewives) [簡介]
神奇小子/天賜 (Kyle XY) [簡介][pptv 線上收看][pps 線上收看]
大家都愛雷蒙 (Everybody Loves Raymond) [簡介]
艾利的異想世界 [簡介]
生活大爆炸 [簡介][pptv 線上收看]
老爸老媽的浪漫史 [簡介][pptv 線上收看][第一季劇本(請用wordpad開啟)]
Ugly Betty (醜女貝蒂),will be my first choice & my own best recommendation. Please put it on the list. (I'm still watching it)
頭像
sophie3333
文章: 41
註冊時間: 週日 5月 23, 2010 11:59 am

文章 sophie3333 »

Dear Chiron,

Everybody loves Rymon, 大家都愛雷蒙. I like this one.
Here are some I like about黑色的幽默: Friesier. 單身獨媽.
I'm also fans for some detective one(TV serious-AXN), but those were a bit bored for discussion.

Sophie3333
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

sophie3333 寫:Dear Chiron,

Everybody loves Rymon, 大家都愛雷蒙. I like this one.
Here are some I like about黑色的幽默: Friesier. 單身獨媽.
I'm also fans for some detective one(TV serious-AXN), but those were a bit bored for discussion.

Sophie3333
Hello, Sophie, I appreciate your suggestion. So, the point is, would you like to join us every 4~5 weeks??
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
sophie3333

文章 sophie3333 »

Dear Chiron,

Yes. if the timeframe conflicts with ISG100 Saturday session, how would you arrange 4-5 episode talk?
:roll:
bty, can we run a pull to select specific these american TV episode,
I need to check if there's DVD available in Library, cause I don't want to spend too much renting too many episodes.

Sophie3333
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

sophie3333 寫:Dear Chiron,

Yes. if the timeframe conflicts with ISG100 Saturday session, how would you arrange 4-5 episode talk? --> What do you mean? We don't have Saturday session, do we?? :roll:
bty, can we run a pull to select specific these american TV episode, --> I guess we can decide on tomorrow's ISG meeting, would you like to join us at 8 a.m. on tomorrow morning? You may suggest your recommendation that time.
I need to check if there's DVD available in Library, cause I don't want to spend too much renting too many episodes. --> Sure, we don't want to spend extra expense, either.

Sophie3333
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
sophie3333

文章 sophie3333 »

Hello Chiron,
Abviously when I open this mail, it's already really late at 10:40pm saturday night.
WHAT did you guys do at 8:00am in the morning? :wink:

Sophie3333
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

sophie3333 寫:Hello Chiron,
Abviously when I open this mail, it's already really late at 10:40pm saturday night.
WHAT did you guys do at 8:00am in the morning? :wink:

Sophie3333
We use skype to talk. My account is kooperchen. You could add me first. Tomorrow morning I'll make a group call and include you as well.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

Re: YOYO-ISG 100926 TV series, Desperate Housewives

文章 chiron »

Guys:
We decided to watch Desperate Housewives. You can find it on pps, so please install the software from the link I provide above. Attention, you need to register to get the full access. You can also download the script if you need it.

We will discuss the 1st episode of the 1st season, so please prepare by taking notes of at least 3 good sentences, words or phrases worth learning, and posting your summary or any reflection about the 1st episode under this post. Enjoy it.

p.s. Remember to use the keyword "絕望主婦"to search for the TV series in PPS for the translation variation between China and Taiwan.
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
sophie3333

文章 sophie3333 »

Kooper 寫:
sophie3333 寫:
Sophie3333
We use skype to talk. My account is kooperchen. You could add me first. Tomorrow morning I'll make a group call and include you as well.
Hello Kooper,
I added you in my skype list. "Sophie" or it's also called "pepperwhite" as the skype nickname.
see you in the future.

Sophie3333
Kooper
YOYO member

Re: YOYO-ISG 100926 TV series, Desperate Housewives

文章 Kooper »

Dear members,

The TV series session has been switched with the "Transcribing NPR News" session. New date is Oct-3.
Kooper
YOYO member

Re: YOYO-ISG 101003 TV series, Desperate Housewives

文章 Kooper »

be out of your mind with grief/worry/boredom/jealousy: unable to behave or deal with things normally because sth has made you very unhappy/worried; to be extremely sad/worried
Ex: It was getting late and I was out of my mind with worry.
Ex: I'll go out of my mind with boredom if I have to stay in this job.

an eligible man/woman would be good to marry because they're rich, attractive, and not married
Ex: He is America's most eligible bachelor.
Ex: His father had suggested several eligible middle class girls to him.

to face a problem head-on: to try not to avoid it , but deal with it in a direct and determined way
Ex: The police are trying to tackle car crime head-on.
Ex: Let's face the problem head-on and try to solve it quickly and painlessly.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

drop in on sb. (ph.) 順道拜訪
EX: Mrs. Huber tried to think of a reason for dropping in on me unannounced. After some initial hesitation, she decided to return the blender she had borrowed from me 6 months before.

move up the corporate ladder (ph.) 升官
EX: She was moving up the corporate ladder.

act up (ph.) to behave badly
EX: If anyone of you acts up, so help me, I will call Santa and tell him you want socks for Christmas.

work it into the conversation (ph.) 提及
EX: He let me know how much he paid for his wife's new convertible. Look, just work it into the conversation.

from scratch (ph.) from the beginning, especially without relying on resources or other advantages
EX: Bree Van De Kamp, who lives next door, brought baskets of muffins she baked from scratch.

dignify (v) to make something appear important when it is not really
EX: And I won't even dignify (理睬) your navy bean suggestion. So. How's the osso bucco?

pop (v) to make a short explosive sound; to cause something to make this sound
EX: Tim Harper's mom gets home from work, pops open a can of pork and beans, and boom, they're eating, everyone's happy.

popsicle (n)

put in (ph.) 提交
EX: Alright, I'll go put in your order.

Let's get this show on the road today.
今天,就在這裡讓我們做個了斷吧。
最後由 chiron 於 週二 10月 05, 2010 11:13 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
sophie3333

文章 sophie3333 »

Hi Chiron,
Just when I tried to book this DVD from library, I was suspended for few month. I didn't get library's email message for my reserved book and didn't know those novels should be picked up before last Tue. therfore I was suspended :( . The on-line vedio is not accecible on Mac platform, -->Internet vedio was also a dead end. I have no idea what is the content in Desperated Houswife. well, see u some other time.

Enjoy ur talk tomorrow.
Sophie3333
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Mary Alice Young, a housewife running a seemingly perfect life, killed herself after doing her routine housework in a normal day. The residents of the town came to her funeral, including her neighbors and good friends, Lynette, Gabby, Bree, and Susan.

Lynette was once a successful career woman but quit her job after pregnant. Now she was a mother of four and lived a very busy life. Susan divorced one year ago. She met Mike at Mary Alice’s funeral and soon, stirred up by her daughter, tried to create chances to get close to him. Gabby married a rich man and lived a luxurious life. But the relationship between the couple was lukewarm and she was carrying on with their gardener. Bree was a perfect wife and mother in the eyes of people except her family, for she had an excessively high standard of her housework and was severe all the time, which brought pressure to her family. It ended up her husband decided to divorce her.

The four friends went to Mary Alice’s house to help pack up her things. They found a weird letter which might have something to do with Mary Alice’s death …
回覆文章