YOYO-ISG 100905 Transcribing 60-Second Science

頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Re: YOYO-ISG 100905 Transcribing 60-Second Science

文章 chiron »

Just JJ 寫:Kooper, the one you assigned to me is a broken. So I took on "Too Much Salt Eaten by Almost Everyone."
I think it's meant to be broken.

Well, did you see the thing about why people on cell phones are so annoying?

I know, right? Because you only hear...Oohp, I gotta go.

Sorry. I know that was irritating. Because a recent study in the journal Psychological Science shows that overhearing only half of a cell phone conversation is much more distracting than listening to two people chat.

When we follow a full conversation, we tend to fill in the blanks…anticipating what each of the speakers might say. But when we’re limited to just one side of a two-sided dialogue—or “halfalogue”—our brains have to work harder to guess what’s coming next. That unpredictability grabs our attention, which makes these partial exchanges hard to tune out.

Psychologists had volunteers perform tasks that required concentration. And while the subjects worked, they were treated to either a dialogue or halfalogue the scientists had previously recorded. The results: hearing just the “tete” in a cell phone tete-a-tete leads to poor performance in other tasks.

And that suggests that

Can you excuse me? Hello? Yah, I’m just recording it now.
—Karen Hopkin
Please call me Na'vi!
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

Hi Kooper,

Sorry I can only download half of the podcast for my part. So I choose another podcast "It's Not Just You: Hearing Half of a Phone Call is Annoying" to transcribe as below:

Did you see the things about what people on cellphones are so annoying? I know, right? Because you only heard: Oops, I gotta go. Ah, sorry, I know that was irritating. Because a recent study in the geno psychological science shows that overhearing only half of the cellphone conversation is much more distacting than listening to two people chat. When we follow a full conversaion, we tend to fill in the blanks, anticipating what each of the speakers might say. But when we're limited to just one side of a dialogue, or half of logue, our brains have to work harder to guess what's coming next. That unpredicability grabs our attention which makes this partial exchanges harder to know. Psychologists have volunttered to perform tests that require concentration, while the subject worked, they were treated to either a dialogue or half of logue to scientists previously recorded. The results hearing just the (tap) in the cellphone (tap) on (tap) leads to poor performance in another test. That's just (ring~). Ah, can you excuse me? Hello, yeah, I am recording it now.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

文章 chiron »

jacksonwang 寫:Diverse Personal Networks Linked to Strong Local Economy

Social network is all the rich. It seems the more people we know the more the better we feel. But that drive been connected make an richer then our socialized. Because study in journal science shows the more diverse are personal social network the stronger the local economy. The fact haven’t brought social task can financial benefit in individual make sense. The more people you know the more job opportunity you might be aware of. After all, let’s what network is all about. But just how far the benefit this far richer associations really rich using ring of phone records both landline and sale, scientist map out social network across entire United Kingdom and they compare those maps with detail information on regional economic conditions, the result show the community which resident has more extended connection R&D more prosperous. Presumedly because economic opportunities are more likely come from contact outside tied linking local group of friends. So keep building those social networks it’s not totally waste of time, it just might be wrong personal economic stimulus package.
Hello, this is what I found on internet FYI:

Social networking is all the rage. Seems the more people we know, the better we feel. But that drive for being connected may enrich more than our social lives. Because a study in the journal Science shows that the more diverse our personal networks, the stronger the local economy. [Nathan Eagle et al, http://tiny.cc/d7zex]

The fact that having broad social ties can financially benefit an individual makes sense. The more people you know, the more job opportunities you might be made aware of. After all, that’s what networking is all about.

But just how far do the benefits of these far-reaching associations really reach? Using reams of phone records, both landline and cell, scientists mapped out social networks across the entire United Kingdom. And they compared those maps with detailed information on regional economic conditions.

The results showed that communities in which residents have more extensive connections are indeed more prosperous. Presumably because economic opportunities are more likely to come from contacts outside a tightly knit local group of friends. So keep building those social networks. It’s not a total waste of time. It just might be your own personal economic stimulus package.

—Karen Hopkin
Please call me Na'vi!
回覆文章