YOYO-ISG 100926 Transcribing NPR Hourly News Summary

Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

YOYO-ISG 100926 Transcribing NPR Hourly News Summary

文章 Kooper »

Dear ISG members,

Please pick and transcribe one-minute news out of the 2-minute period of time you are allocated. Thanks.

Link: NPR Hourly News Summary: 09-13-2010 9PM ET

0:00 - 2:00 Sherry, Ivy
0:30 - 2:30 Michael
1:00 - 3:00 Wayne
1:30 - 3:30 Janet
2:00 - 4:00 Chiron
2:30 - 4:30 Jackson
3:00 - 5:00 Kooper
Kooper
YOYO member

Re: YOYO-ISG 100926 Transcribing NPR Hourly News Summary

文章 Kooper »

3: 26-4:28

This year a record number of college-bound students took the SAT, but as NPR’s xxx has reported the scores remain pretty flat compared to previous years. According to the college board responsible for the SAT, the high school class of 2010 had the same combined score on the three sections of the test as the class of 2009. Writing score dipped one point. Math scores also were up one point. And reading scores stayed the same. Overall this year’s combined average was 1509 points out of a possible 2400 is slightly lower than in 2006, the year the SAT added a writing section. Although many colleges rely on the SAT as a kind of admission exam in which to sort students, critics say it’s not really a predictor of academic success in college or a way to gauge students’ academic performance in high school because the SAT has little to do with what kids are taught in high school. Nearly 1.7 million students took the SAT this year. About 4 in 10 were racial or ethnic minorities. Asian Americans were the only group that saw gains in all three sections of the test.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

00:47 – 1:37

In Venezuela, an airliner from the state airline crashed and burned, leaving at least fourteen people dead. NPR (reporter’s name) has that story.

More than thirty passengers survived after the French-made turboprop, flown by Conviasa, crashed in the eastern city of Puerto Ordaz. The ATR 42 slammed into property used by the state-run Sidor steel mill. Its wreckage was left scattered among shipping containers. The governor of Bolivar State, (name), told reporters that the injured passengers were rushed to area hospitals. Apparently no one was injured or killed on the ground. It was unclear whether pilot error or mechanical failure were to blame for the crash. But the governor said the plane captain had told the air traffic controller he was having problems.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Sherry Liao 寫:00:47 – 1:37

In Venezuela, an airliner from the state airline crashed and burned, leaving at least fourteen people dead. NPR (reporter’s name) has that story.

More than thirty passengers survived after the French-made turboprop, flown by Conviasa, crashed in the eastern city of Puerto Ordaz. The ATR 42 slammed into property used by the state-run Sidor steel mill. Its wreckage was left scattered among shipping containers. The governor of Bolivar State, (name), told reporters that the injured passengers were rushed to area hospitals. Apparently no one was injured or killed on the ground. It was unclear whether pilot error or mechanical failure were to blame for the crash. But the governor said the plane captain had told the air traffic controller he was having problems.
Well done, Sherry. I couldn't find any word to revise.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

As no one besides Sherry and I have tried the transcribing assignment, I decided to try one more. What I have doubt is underlined. Please help me find a better transcript of it. Thanks.

1:38 - 2:21

Every year New York University’s Long Security Center releases a terrorist trial report card to track terrorism cases in the country. As NPR’s xxx reported this year it has a look at home-grown terrorism trends. According to the report, there have been 127 prosecutions of so-called home-grown terrorism in this country since the 911 attack. What that means statistically is that 81% of the people charged with terrorism here over the past nine years have either been a US resident or citizen. More than 100 of those people have lived in the US for 20 years or longer and more than 80 of them live here their entire lives or since they were very small children. Report also found that about a third of the terrorists who have stood trial in the US were converts to Islam.
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

Hi Kooper,

I think the parts you underlined should be as below:

1:38 - 2:21

Every year New York University’s Law and Security Center releases a terrorist trial report card to track terrorism cases in the country. As NPR’s xxx reported this year it has a look at home-grown terrorism trends. According to the report, there have been 127 prosecutions of so-called home-grown terrorism in this country since the 911 attack. What that means statistically is that 81% of the people charged with terrorism here over the past nine years have either been a US resident or citizen. More than 100 of those people have lived in the US for 20 years or longer and more than 80 of them live here their entire lives or since they were very small children. Report also found that about a third of the terrorists who have stood trial in the US were converts to Islam.

stood trail
Ex: She went on/stood trial for murder.
她因涉及谋杀罪而受审.
Source: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Hi Janet,

Thank you for helping out. :ssmile:
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

2:26~2:52
Colorado Fire Official after mostly mopping up the large wild fire that destroyed 166 homes there now working to contain a new wild fire that prepared to detroy at least 2 homes. Agent Bill now sit in the incident commander for the mayer xx sheriff office. There is some glass but most of them right now in fairly heavy temper, very steep and very rocky. Fire crews hoping to drop more fire retardant on that fire, authoritry blew the larger, bolder fire was mostly likely sparked by a fire pit was inproperly extinguished.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

fire retardant: a substance other than water that reduces flammability of fuels or delays their combustion.[1] This typically refers to chemical retardants[2] but may also include substances that work by physical action, such as cooling the fuels; examples of these include fire-fighting foams and fire-retardant gels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_retardant
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Fire pits have been in existence for a very long time and despite many technological advancements since the advent of man's use of fire, they have remained a popular item because of their versatility. A fire pit can physically vary from a pit dug into the ground to an elaborate gas burning compilation of stone, brick, and metal. The common feature of fire pits is that they are designed to contain a fire and prevent it from spreading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_pit

圖檔
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Attendees(2): Janet and Kooper
Assignment doers(3): Janet, Kooper and Sherry
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Kooper

As a matter of fact, I did do the transcribing as soon as you posted it. And the one I did happened to be the terrorism one you did.

I have been too lazy to post it. Sorry about that

Michael
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Dear Mike,

You might have misinterpreted the assignment. According to the assignment, your time slot of the news is from 0:30 to 2:30 and mine is between 3:00 and 5:00. There is no overlap between our allocated time slot and thus we were not supposed to do the same piece of news. :wink:

Anyway, there is a piece of news that both Janet and I have trouble transcribing - the wildfire one. I'll post my revision based on Janet's later on. Would you like to help further improve this transcript?
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Kooper, I meant the second one you did, the terrorism one, which is within my time slot :D
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

janet12tw 寫:2:26~2:52
Colorado Fire Official after mostly mopping up the large wild fire that destroyed 166 homes there are now working to contain a new wild fire that appears to destroy at least 2 homes. Agent Bill now sit in the incident commander for the mayer xx sheriff office (xxx(人名) announced as the incident commander for the xxx(地名) county sheriff office)(?). There is some glass but most of them(there?) right now is in fairly heavy temper(?), very steep and very rocky. Fire crews are hoping to drop more fire retardant on that fire. Authoritry believes the larger border fire was mostly likely to be sparked by a fire pit that was improperly extinguished.
Here is my revision in blue.
回覆文章