回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

YOYO-ISG 101114 Transcribing 60-Second Science

文章 Kooper »

Dear YOYO-ISG members,

Please transcribe the audio piece assigned to you. You can either listen to it on-line or download it.

Lay Rescuers_ Try CPR without Mouth-to-Mouth Resuscitation: Ivy, Michael

Mice Exposed to Night Light Get Heavy: Jackson, Kooper

Groups with Good Social Skills Outperform the Merely Smart: Janet, Wayne

Artificial Lighting Changing Songbird Lifestyles: Sherry, Chiron

Pirates Need Science_ Too: Dylan (This one is hilarious. I recommend that everyone listen to it. :lol:)

BTW, you are welcomed Stephen if you'd like to give it a try. :ssmile:
Kooper
YOYO member

Re: YOYO-ISG 101114 Transcribing 60-Second Science

文章 Kooper »

Here is my transcript.
You’ve tried everything to lose weight – portion control or fasting, liquid diets and even eating meals on the trade meal. Now a new study suggested that maybe you should try turning off the lights because at least in mice, exposure to light at night leads to weight gain. The work appeared in the proceedings of the National Academy Sciences. Obesity is an epidemic. Maybe it’s because we eat too much and spend too much time on our seats. But another fact could be that these days we’re never really in the dark. Street lamps and indoor light sources now brighten our night and that light pollution could be messing up with our circadian rhythms, which control not only sleep but metabolism. In fact mutant mice that have no circadian clock tend to be chunky. To test the connection between photons and fat, scientists took mice and lit up their cages and they found that mice that were exposed to even dim light at night were chubbier than mice who spent their evening in the dark though they all ate the same amount. The fat mice snagged more when they were less active, perhaps failing to burn off those calories. So maybe skip the night light, especially the one that lights up when you open up the frig.
dylan
YOYO member
文章: 16
註冊時間: 週四 8月 13, 2009 4:13 pm

文章 dylan »

Hi all,this is my transcript,hope you may help me to complete all blanks and correct any wrong translation.
Thanks.

This be scientific American 60 seconds science, I’m the ___ pirate, Steve.I’ll be taken a minute of your time.
Uh…Today is September 19 is international talked like a pirate day.No, seriously yohoho__ check the web really is, when they talk about pirate they don’t mean for exsample,hey can you help copy this DVD for me? No,they mean when you talk like this,you know,maybe,anyone can be a pirate,only we need is proper disrespect for authority and willingness to be seasick for months the time.But to be a truly successful pirate not just s___ of b_____ well you had to know a bit science too. A good pirate captain had to know the astronomy to navigate by the stars, and need to be acquainted with ___ and know one of fluid dynamics to make sure we didn’t overload the ship with booty. And it’s needed psychological skills to manage literally madly crew. You have the pirate ship acquire buck ear sergeant to treat stubborn in ___ slashes and a swash b___ general p___ to make sure the man had the right ___ to work ___ with food rich vitamin C. Plus your pirate a___ supply the man with eye patches and of course ____ what do you mean my time is up, I’m a pirate, I don’t care of my time is up, advanced ___ ____ get your pirate parents fine fetal, so you see me how do you know matter what do you choose path, science shortie to give you a hand, or at least hook. Thanks for the minute for scientific American 60 seconds science, I’m the d___ pirate Steve.
jacksonwang
YOYO member
文章: 42
註冊時間: 週五 2月 27, 2009 11:14 am

文章 jacksonwang »

My portion~

You’ve tried everything to lose weight, potion control, fasting liquid diet, even eating meal on treadmill. Now a new study suggested that maybe you should try turning out the lights because at least in mice, exposure to light at night leads to weight gain. The work appeared in the proceeding of the National Academy Sciences. Obesity is epidemic. Maybe it’s because we eat too much spend too much time on our seats, but another fact could be that these days we’re never really in the dark. Street lamps, indoor light sources now brighten our night and that night pollution could be messing up with our circadian rhythms, which control not only sleep but metabolism. In fact, mutant mice that have no circadian clock tend to be chunky. To test the connection between photons and fat, scientists took up the mice and lit up their cages and they found that mice were exposed to even dim light at night were chubbier then mice who spent evening in dark though they all ate the same amount. The fat mice snuck more when they were less active, perhaps failing to burn off those calories. So maybe skip the night light, especially the one that lights up when you open up the fridge.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

dylan 寫:This be scientific American 60 seconds science, I’m the ___ pirate, Steve.I’ll be taken a minute of your time.
Uh…Today is September 19 is international talked like a pirate day.No, seriously yohoho__ check the web really is, when they talk about pirate they don’t mean for exsample,hey can you help copy this DVD for me? No,they mean when you talk like this,you know,maybe,anyone can be a pirate,only we need is proper disrespect for authority and willingness to be seasick for months the time.But to be a truly successful pirate and not just some of basic _____ well you had to know a better science too. A good pirate captain had to know the astronomy to navigate by the stars. You have to be acquainted with meteorology and know well of fluid dynamics to make sure we didn’t overload the ship with booty. And it’s needed psychological skills to manage these literally motley crew. Your average pirate ship require a buck ear surgeon to treat stab wounds and cat-o-nine-tail slashes and a swashbuckling general practitioner to make sure the men had the right diet to ward off scurvy with foods rich in vitamin C. Plus your pirate a___ supply the men with eye patches and of course ____ what do you mean my time is up, I’m a pirate, I don’t care of my time is up, advanced ___ ____ get your pirate parents in fine fetal, so you see me how do you know no matter what you choose in path, science is sure to give you a hand, or at least a hook. Thanks for the minute for scientific American 60 seconds science, I’m the d___ pirate Steve.
I filled in a few words, but unfortunately not many. :(
最後由 Kooper 於 週日 11月 14, 2010 8:00 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Dear ISG members,

I can't join the meeting due to some family activity.
Hope you guys enjoy the discussion~
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

If Alice is smart, and Bob's even smarter. Working together would A, be twice as smart. B, be half as smart. Or C formal task force and get nothing done. According to new research, the answer is none of the above. It would actually depend on how well they get along. What makes a group good at what it does, a team of scientists put their collective heads together and divided volunteers into groups of two to five. And they ask these groups to perform a variety of tasks from brainstorming answers to questions like what can you do with brick to team typing block of complicated task. But the researchers found is the intelligent of individual group members was not a good predictor of how well the group as a whole performs. The team did best rated high in social sensitivity, their members in directed well, took turn speaking, and included more females in groups that did poorly, the study of geroscience. So if you are looking for a recipe for group smart, don't automatically reach for the biggest brain. Try adding some heart. And at least one person knows how to do with the brick.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

文章 chiron »

Songbird sings to entice mates, and the timing of their songs is often regulate by sunlight. But that time is getting thrown off by streetlamps. That’s according to a research published by general current biology. Scientists max plan instituted for xxx and Germany, studying five common far-breeding songbirds. Males and 4 species start singing significantly earlier in the morning. They … the streetlights then they did their deep far swelling … And for one species study, males are more successful at attracting extra … Those females other than the males, primary next … Sounds great right! Well, the researcher said not so fast! The … be weaker, because they got less sleep due to the lights. And so females who used to early singing as a sign of validity may be attracted to weaker males who simply can’t sleep because of lights around. The early singing males … the males agreed at a prediction. Three researchers say we don’t understand the long-term effect, but that they hopeful knows, companies are developing new streetlamps to reduce light pollution, which can also help songbirds get …
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

chiron 寫:Songbird sings to entice mates, and the timing of their songs is often regulated by sunlight. But that time is getting thrown off by streetlamps. That’s according to a research published by general current biology. Scientists max plan institute for xxx and Germany, studying five common far-breeding songbirds. Males and 4 species start singing significantly earlier in the morning. They … the streetlights then they did their deep far swelling … And for one species study, males are more successful at attracting extra … Those females other than the males, primary next … Sounds great right! Well, the researcher said not so fast! The … be weaker, because they got less sleep due to the lights. And so females who used to early singing as a sign of validity may be attracted to weaker males who simply can’t sleep because of lights around. The early singing males … the males agreed at a prediction. Three researchers say we don’t understand the long-term effect, but that they hopeful knows, companies are developing new streetlamps to reduce light pollution, which can also help songbirds get …
The correction I found from HERE:

Songbirds sing to entice mates, and the timing of those songs is often regulated by sunlight. But that timing is getting thrown off—by streetlamps. That’s according to research published in the journal Current Biology. [Bart Kempenaers et al, http://bit.ly/aEP3pu]

Scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Ornithology in Germany studied five common forest-breeding songbirds. Males in four species started singing significantly earlier in the morning if they lived near streetlights than did their deep forest-dwelling kin. And for one species studied, males were more successful at attracting extra-pair mates. Those are females other than the male’s primary nest-mate with whom they sire offspring.

Sounds great, right? Well, the researchers say, not so fast. They note that the males may be weaker, because they get less sleep due to the lights. And so females who used to take early singing as a sign of virility may be attracted to weaker males who simply can’t sleep because the lights are on. The early singing may also put the males at greater risk of predation.

The researchers say we don’t understand the long-term effects. But they add a hopeful note—companies are developing new streetlamps with reduced light pollution, which could also help songbirds get their z’s.

—Cynthia Graber
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

dylan 寫:Hi all,this is my transcript,hope you may help me to complete all blanks and correct any wrong translation.
Thanks.

This be scientific American 60 seconds science, I’m the ___ pirate, Steve.I’ll be taken a minute of your time.
Uh…Today is September 19 is international talked like a pirate day.No, seriously yohoho__ check the web really is, when they talk about pirate they don’t mean for exsample,hey can you help copy this DVD for me? No,they mean when you talk like this,you know,maybe,anyone can be a pirate,only we need is proper disrespect for authority and willingness to be seasick for months the time.But to be a truly successful pirate not just s___ of b_____ well you had to know a bit science too. A good pirate captain had to know the astronomy to navigate by the stars, and need to be acquainted with ___ and know one of fluid dynamics to make sure we didn’t overload the ship with booty. And it’s needed psychological skills to manage literally madly crew. You have the pirate ship acquire buck ear sergeant to treat stubborn in ___ slashes and a swash b___ general p___ to make sure the man had the right ___ to work ___ with food rich vitamin C. Plus your pirate a___ supply the man with eye patches and of course ____ what do you mean my time is up, I’m a pirate, I don’t care of my time is up, advanced ___ ____ get your pirate parents fine fetal, so you see me how do you know matter what do you choose path, science shortie to give you a hand, or at least hook. Thanks for the minute for scientific American 60 seconds science, I’m the d___ pirate Steve.
Hi, I found your correction news from HERE FYI.

Arrrrr. Today, September 19th, is international talk like a pirate day. No, seriously, yo ho ho, check the web. Ya know, matey, anyone could be a pirate, all ya needed was a proper disrespect for authority and a willingness to be seasick months at a time.But to be a truly successful pirate and not just the son of a biscuit eater, well, ya had to know a bit of science, too.

A good pirate captain had to know the astronomy to navigate by the stars. He had to be acquainted with meteorology and know enough fluid dynamics to make sure he didn’t overload his ship with booty. And he needed the psychological skills to manage his literally motley crew.

Your average pirate ship required a buccaneer surgeon to treat stab wounds and cat o’ nine tails slashes, and a swashbucklin’ general practitioner to make sure the men had the right diet to ward off scurvy with foods rich in vitamin C. Plus, your pirate optometrist supplied the men with eye patches. And of course, advanced veterinary practice kept your pirate parrots in fine fettle. So ya see, me hearty, no matter what your chosen path, science is sure to give you a hand. Or at least a hook .

—Pirate Steve
Please call me Na'vi!
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

jacksonwang 寫:My portion~

You’ve tried everything to lose weight, potion control, fasting liquid diet, even eating meal on treadmill. Now a new study suggested that maybe you should try turning out the lights because at least in mice, exposure to light at night leads to weight gain. The work appeared in the proceeding of the National Academy Sciences. Obesity is epidemic. Maybe it’s because we eat too much spend too much time on our seats, but another fact could be that these days we’re never really in the dark. Street lamps, indoor light sources now brighten our night and that night pollution could be messing up with our circadian rhythms, which control not only sleep but metabolism. In fact, mutant mice that have no circadian clock tend to be chunky. To test the connection between photons and fat, scientists took up the mice and lit up their cages and they found that mice were exposed to even dim light at night were chubbier then mice who spent evening in dark though they all ate the same amount. The fat mice snuck more when they were less active, perhaps failing to burn off those calories. So maybe skip the night light, especially the one that lights up when you open up the fridge.
Hi Jackson,

Good job to catch the words "treadmill" and "fridge."

I checked the correct transcript(clickHere) and found that there are two words that both of us failed to transcribe correctly:
1. The fat mice "snacked" more when they were less active.
2. that light pollution could be "messing with" our circadian rhythms
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

janet12tw 寫:If Alice is smart, and Bob's even smarter. Working together they would A, be twice as smart. B, be half as smart. Or C form a task force and get nothing done. According to new research, the answer is none of the above. It would actually depend on how well they get along. What makes a group good at what it does, a team of scientists put their collective heads together and divided volunteers into groups of two to five. And they ask these groups to perform a variety of tasks from brainstorming answers to questions like what can you do with a brick to team typing blocks of complicated task. But the researchers found is the intelligence of individual group members was not a good predictor of how well the group as a whole performed. The team that did best rated high in social sensitivity. Their members interacted well, took turn speaking, and included more females in groups that did poorly. The study is in the Journal of Science. So if you are looking for a recipe for group smart, don't automatically reach for the biggest brains. Try adding some heart. And at least one person who knows what to do with the brick.
Hi Janet,
Your transcript is pretty good. I can only find few minor discrepancies in it. Good for you! :ssmile:
Note: Bear in mind that it's my version of transcript, not the one from Scientific American. There must be errors in it.
最後由 Kooper 於 週日 11月 14, 2010 9:30 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

chiron 寫:
dylan 寫:This be scientific American 60 seconds science, I’m the ___ pirate, Steve.I’ll be taken a minute of your time.
Arrrrr. Today, September 19th, is international talk like a pirate day. No, seriously, yo ho ho, check the web. Ya know, matey, anyone could be a pirate, all ya needed was a proper disrespect for authority and a willingness to be seasick months at a time.But to be a truly successful pirate and not just the son of a biscuit eater, well, ya had to know a bit of science, too.

A good pirate captain had to know the astronomy to navigate by the stars. He had to be acquainted with meteorology and know enough fluid dynamics to make sure he didn’t overload his ship with booty. And he needed the psychological skills to manage his literally motley crew.

Your average pirate ship required a buccaneer surgeon to treat stab wounds and cat o’ nine tails slashes, and a swashbucklin’ general practitioner to make sure the men had the right diet to ward off scurvy with foods rich in vitamin C. Plus, your pirate optometrist supplied the men with eye patches. And of course, advanced veterinary practice kept your pirate parrots in fine fettle. So ya see, me hearty, no matter what your chosen path, science is sure to give you a hand. Or at least a hook .
Dylan,

You're unlucky. This one is probably the most difficult among all, partly due to the "pirate" accent and partly due to these "pirate term". So don't feel crestfallen. You've done pretty well, actually. :ssmile:

Here are few of the terms:

Son of a biscuit eater
: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... cuit+eater, http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_son ... eater_mean
buccaneer: someone who attacks ships at sea and steals from them [= pirate]
cat o' nine tails: a whip made of nine knotted strings, used in the past for punishing people
swashbuckling [adj]: relating to adventures in which people do brave, exciting things and fight against their enemies with swords
dylan
YOYO member
文章: 16
註冊時間: 週四 8月 13, 2009 4:13 pm

文章 dylan »

Hi Kooper:
Thanks for your kindly comfort and encouragement.
I'm sure no matter which topics are all difficult to me,fortunately I'm thick-skinned all the time.
So I'll try to keep learning from all you guys and be no crestfallen.
Hope one day my english could be as good as you~~

Hi Chiron:
Thanks for the transcript.
回覆文章