YOYO-ISG 110313 Desperate Housewives Episode 5

回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

YOYO-ISG 110313 Desperate Housewives Episode 5

文章 Kooper »

This week let's watch the fifth episode of the Desperate Housewives Season One. When you watch, please turn off or cover either the English or Chinese subtitles. You are encouraged not to refer to the attached script until watching the episode for several times. By the way, if you find any words interesting or confusing, please post it under the thread before the meeting. We will discuss them during the meeting.
附加檔案
1X05 - COME IN STRANGER.doc
(132 KiB) 已下載 620 次
Kooper
YOYO member

Re: YOYO-ISG 110313 Desperate Housewives Episode 5

文章 Kooper »

Questions:

1. Why did Susan say "Well thank god for the thin blue line!" after the officer Thompson confessed that the urgent and serious case that he was going to deal was just that someone's TV was playing too loud?

2. Gabrielle:What are you doing here?
Mama Solis:I came to visit my son and daughter in law. What does it look like?

What does "What does it look like?" mean here?

3. Susan: I told him another man asked me out, it was the perfect opportunity for Mike to be jealous. And nothing.
Lynette: Well,did you bat your eyes? You know, it doesn't work if you don't bat your eyes.
Susan:Honey, I batted everything that wasn't nailed down. I'm telling you, nothing.

What does "I batted everything that wasn't nailed down." mean here?

4. What are weekend minutes?
janet12tw
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週日 5月 31, 2009 6:13 am

文章 janet12tw »

Vocabulary:
1. pep squad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pep_squad
Ex: John: Yeah.Just so you know, I've turned down half the pep squad for you.

2. ruckus: http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/ruckus
Ex: Bree: It was right before Christmas as a matter of fact. We were all singing carols and the dog was howling, because everyone in my family sings off-key except for me.Anyway, it was just a terrible ruckus.So no-one noticed when my mother wenta cross the street to give the neighbour their gift.

3. in a rut: http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/rut
Gabrielle:Oh, Mama, you're in a rut! We need to spice up your wardrobe.

4. form-fitting: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/formfitting
Ex: Gabrielle:Yes, it's form-fitting. You're going to look great.
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Kooper, I also watched this episode, may I answer the questions?
Kooper 寫:Questions:

1. Why did Susan say "Well thank god for the thin blue line!" after the officer Thompson confessed that the urgent and serious case that he was going to deal was just that someone's TV was playing too loud?

I think here it implies a tone of "不以為然", meaning "isn't it obvious? " In English, this kind of question is called a "rhetorical question"
a question that you ask as a way of making a statement, without expecting an answer

3. Susan: I told him another man asked me out, it was the perfect opportunity for Mike to be jealous. And nothing.
Lynette: Well,did you bat your eyes? You know, it doesn't work if you don't bat your eyes.
Susan:Honey, I batted everything that wasn't nailed down. I'm telling you, nothing.

I think here Susan just wants to emphasize, because "bat one's eyes" means 拋媚眼, 而根據Longman, 把眼皮合上用"nailed down"
"The lid was firmly nailed down."

4. What are weekend minutes?
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Michael-liu 寫:Kooper, I also watched this episode, may I answer the questions?
Kooper 寫:Questions:

I think here it implies a tone of "不以為然", meaning "isn't it obvious? " In English, this kind of question is called a "rhetorical question"
a question that you ask as a way of making a statement, without expecting an answer

I think here Susan just wants to emphasize, because "bat one's eyes" means 拋媚眼, 而根據Longman, 把眼皮合上用"nailed down"
"The lid was firmly nailed down."
Dear Michael,

Your reply is almost the same as what Kat told us: (Well done, buddy :D)

2. "What does it look like?" here is equivalent to "Are you stupid?" or "Do you really have to ask?" (當某人問了個明知故問的問題) It could be used as a tease or to be rude, depending on our tone, so we need to be cautious to use it.

3. to use all her weapons (body language, facial expression, tone, etc.) to lure Mike
回覆文章