YOYO-ISG 110327 Transcribing NPR News

頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

Re: YOYO-ISG 110327 Transcribing NPR News

文章 Kat C »

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is in Cairo where she says the US wants to support the transition to democracy and the path toward economic recovery. NPR xxx reports Clinton is the highest ranking US official to visit Egypt since long-time US ally Hosni Mubarak was toppled. Secretary Clinton reached out to activists and met with her new Egyptian counterpart, saying she wants to encourage investment in this country and set up an enterprise fund meant to help create jobs. "I came to listen, more than talk. I wanted to hear directly about the needs that Egypt has, particularly economically, because we know that political reform must be matched by economic reform." The Secretary capped her day by meeting with civil society activists, but a coalition of youth group said in a statement on facebook that it was turning down the invitation to meet her because of her, quote, "negative attitude" toward the revolution in its infancy. xxx NPR News Cairo.

House lawmakers today voted to pass a measure that combines 6 billion dollars in cuts with the stop-gap spending bill aimed in buying additional time for talks between republicans on Capitol Hill and the Obama administration.

I'd use "aimed at" rater than "aimed in". :wink:

Kat
最後由 Kat C 於 週二 4月 05, 2011 4:34 am 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Dear Kat,

How have you been? Are you about to come back to Taiwan? We shall definitely meet once you are back. :sun:

Thank you for offering help. :ssmile:
Without your help, I would never recognize words like "cap" and "stopgap."

I just have one question. Is "Someone capped their day by doing something or by an event" a common expression? I did some search on the Internet but didn't find much. Sentences in the dictionaries all fall into one of the four types of sentence structures:

- An event capped a series of events.
- An event capped a period of time.
- A series of events are capped by an event.
- A series of events are capped by an event

Examples:
- A fabulous weekend, capped by dinner in the Times Square Hotel.
- The festivities were capped by a presentation to all the committee members.

Kooper
頭像
Kat C
文章: 377
註冊時間: 週三 9月 08, 2010 10:31 am

文章 Kat C »

Hi Kooper,

Yes, I'll be back Saturday! :sun: Can't wait to see you all! (First at Sunny and Hans's wedding?)

To "cap" a period of time or an event with something big and better than what comes before is a common expression. Usually we also want to "end something with a bang" or "go out with a bang". All these are for describing a climactic final act that tops all that precedes it and completes an event with a satisfying conclusion.

Kat
回覆文章