回覆文章
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

ISG 111030 Soldiers Hard to Return to Civilian Life

文章 Kooper »

Dear ISGers,

This week let's try to sharpen our listening abilities. Here is an episode of NPR's Talk of the Nation: http://www.badongo.com/audio/25827350. Please listen to the first 10 minutes. I'll post questions later. Enjoy it. :P

Questions:
1. Why was Nick Colgin invited to the program?
2. What did Nick serve as in the army? What heroic acts did he do in Afghanistan and what award did he get from the American government?
3. Why Nick and many veterans couldn't find a job as a civilian after leaving army?
4. What kind of assistance did the army offer to help veterans get through the transition process? How was it working?
5. How did Nick finally get a job?
6. What do the following expressions mean in the interview?
- I'm the tip of the spear at medical care (1:59)
- I want to be a staple within my community. (4:25)
- It's based off the installation level. (4:51)
- to set someone up for life (6:19)
- to double-dip (9:02)
- to pad my resume (10:52)
- that's not much of a step up from ... (10:55)
jacksonwang
YOYO member
文章: 42
註冊時間: 週五 2月 27, 2009 11:14 am

Re: ISG 111030 Soldiers Hard to Return to Civilian Life

文章 jacksonwang »

1. Nick Colgin has hard time to return to job market after he has been a solder in Afghanistan and he’s the typical model for this kind of situation.
2. He is working as medic.
He was awarded a Bronze star for saving the life of France solder on the heavy fire.
3. Certification didn’t come alone those training when Nick is in military, lack of certification let Nick can’t find a job as civilian.
4. Tap transition system program.
It’s based of insulation level. It’s not just one system. At insulation level each base does own way, each service does own way.
You don’t have to sit there most places through all the classes. You don’t get resume training skills. They try to give you mid house care, try to help you move back to hometown, teach you how to get the job. It’s a big mess of system.
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Here is the transcript of the interview: http://www.npr.org/2011/10/10/141213271 ... ilian-life
頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

文章 chiron »

Kooper 寫:Dear ISGers,

This week let's try to sharpen our listening abilities. Here is an episode of NPR's Talk of the Nation: http://www.badongo.com/audio/25827350. Please listen to the first 10 minutes. I'll post questions later. Enjoy it. :P

Questions:
5. How did Nick finally get a job?
6. What do the following expressions mean in the interview?
- I'm the tip of the spear at medical care (1:59)
tip of the spear is the title of a movie (美國特種部隊)
i guess this means he is the best of the best at medical care
Please call me Na'vi!
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Dear ISG members,

I have problems downloading the audio file. :(
I tried quite a few times last night and this morning, but all failed (not sure what the problems were).

Now I decided to give up.... :cry: With no preparation I dare not join your discussion :cry: :cry: :cry:

I will try to check the file early next time :|
Kooper
YOYO member

文章 Kooper »

Sherry Liao 寫:Dear ISG members,

I have problems downloading the audio file. :(
I tried quite a few times last night and this morning, but all failed (not sure what the problems were).

Now I decided to give up.... :cry: With no preparation I dare not join your discussion :cry: :cry: :cry:

I will try to check the file early next time :|
can't we listen to it on-line? I thought this website also allow us to listen to it on-line.

BTW, the line where the transcript is also let you listen to lit on-line.
回覆文章