ISG 111211 Re-read Gibran's The Prophet (host: Na'vi)

回覆文章
頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

ISG 111211 Re-read Gibran's The Prophet (host: Na'vi)

文章 chiron »

Khalil Gibran's The Prophet is the first book to enlighten my self-awareness to life, to love.... One of my senior high school teachers sent me this book. Even though 10+ years past, re-reading this book still brings me much comfort and strength. Therefore, this week, we want to read its English version.

Q: Select at least two chapters you want to read or discuss. Choose excerpt that touches you the most and post it on forum (or post your summary from one or two chapters), or select a paragraph that you don't quite understand and propose it in the meeting. Find linkage with your personal experience. Share us your understanding in your own words, experience or confusion.

About the Book

Eng Version Download
Chinese Version for Comparison

[Reference]:
Author Background

[Time]: 8:00 AM (UTC+8)
最後由 chiron 於 週日 12月 11, 2011 12:09 am 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

Re: ISG 111211 Re-read Gibran's The Prophet (host: Na'vi)

文章 chiron »

Excerpt from Wiki

Kahlil Gibran, was a Lebanese American artist, poet, and writer. Born in the town of Bsharri in modern-day Lebanon (then part of the Ottoman Mount Lebanon mutasarrifate), as a young man he emigrated with his family to the United States where he studied art and began his literary career. He is chiefly known in the English speaking world for his 1923 book The Prophet, an early example of inspirational fiction including a series of philosophical essays written in poetic English prose. The book sold well despite a cool critical reception, and became extremely popular in the 1960s counterculture. Gibran is the third best-selling poet of all time, behind Shakespeare and Lao-Tzu.
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

chiron 寫:Excerpt from Wiki

Kahlil Gibran, was a Lebanese American artist, poet, and writer. Born in the town of Bsharri in modern-day Lebanon (then part of the Ottoman Mount Lebanon mutasarrifate), as a young man he emigrated with his family to the United States where he studied art and began his literary career. He is chiefly known in the English speaking world for his 1923 book The Prophet, an early example of inspirational fiction including a series of philosophical essays written in poetic English prose. The book sold well despite a cool critical reception, and became extremely popular in the 1960s counterculture. Gibran is the third best-selling poet of all time, behind Shakespeare and Lao-Tzu.
Wow! I've never known that Lao Tzu was a best-selling poet!
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

Excerpt
On Giving:
It is well to give when asked, but it is better to give unasked, through understanding.

And you receivers - and you are all receivers - assume no weight of gratitude, lest you lay a yoke upon yourself and upon him who gives.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Work:
You work that you may keep pace with the earth and the soul of the earth.

And I say that life is indeed darkness save when there is urge,
And all urge is blind save when there is knowledge,
And all knowledge is vain save when there is work,
And all work is empty save when there is love;

And if you grudge the crushing of the grapes, your grudge distils a poison in the wine.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Crime & Punishment:
And as a single leaf turns not yellow but with the silent knowledge of the whole tree,
So the wrong-doer cannot do wrong without the hidden will of you all.
On Prayer
When you pray you rise to meet in the air those who are praying at that very hour, and whom save in prayer you may not meet.

God listens not to your words save when He Himself utters them through your lips.
Questions:
1. In first chapter, prophet Almustafa is waiting for his ship, what does that mean? And he also mentioned his pain, his sorrow, his aloneness, why would that be?
2. On Giving, “For in truth it is life that gives unto life”, why the poet said so?
3. On Work, “And he alone is great who turns the voice of the wind into a song made sweeter by his own loving. Work is love made visible.” What does that mean?
4. On Crime & Punishment, “The murdered is not unaccountable for his own murder,” meaning? And “You cannot separate the just from the unjust and the good from the wicked,” why?
5. “And he to whom worshipping is a window, to open but also to shut, has not yet visited the house of his soul whose windows are from dawn to dawn.” What does that mean?
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member

文章 chiron »

http://blog.udn.com/id4cde/2596598
送信到哥本哈根(I am David)
Please call me Na'vi!
回覆文章