回覆文章
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

News! We are reading now - 2017 Book Reading Kickoff

文章 Rock »

Hi, boys and girls, we've renewed our affiliated study group into "the Affiliated Reading Group".(thanks to Kooper's help!)

Iris kindly agrees to take care of our reading group. But, she is a bit worried that she may not meet everybody's needs here. I spent 47 minutes on Line persuading her that she doesn't need to worry that much. :shock: Actually, there is no perfect way to cater for everybody's needs because we are all different in some way. The only way to do it is Just Do It! (slogan).

If you are interested in this reading activity, please follow the pace of the original small reading group. Luckily, they are reading a new book, totally from the first page now. (Iris said that she hasn't even read one page yet. :lol: ) She will let you guys know more about how they do it, though.

I want no pressure on nobody. Please feel free to join us. You can try it at anytime to see if you like it or not. However, if it's also one of your dreams, then you may as well start doing it, just like we do here. The power of collective consciousness, or team spirit, surely will help on the way.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: News! 2017 Book Reading Kickoff

文章 Iris Wu »

I'd better watch out next time when talking to Rock, he is counting the minutes! Is he going to charge me by hour? :)

2017 YoYo Book Reading Group
Background/Initiative
In mid of 2016, thanks for Catherine’s referral, Shirley and I joined Catherine’s book reading club. In a couple of months, we read 3-4 books and they were all good novels with very touching stories. This year, we decided to have our own book reading sessions because it is easier for us to decide the book list, our reading pace and arrange discussion sessions. Rock happened to find out our “secret” and dig it out and explore it, so now we have to take you all into our “sacred garden”!
(Just kidding! I guess Shirley deliberately passed the info to Rock and Rock was just happy to find any “scapegoats” to run the YoYo club, so he can sit on the sidelines and have fun! :) )

Anyway, thanks for bighearted Shirley and Catherine (I think they really enjoyed the reading last year and hope to share this with everyone) and mischievous Rock, because of their promotion, now we all need to “suffer”! :wink:

Book Reading: Little Luxuries (Time wise)
Reading English novels was a “little luxury” before I retired. When I was working, other than those academic or professional books in my business area, I hardly had energy or mood for anything else. The only time I could indulge myself in reading some interesting novels was during the vacation time. I would buy a novel at the airport and started reading on the plane, and continued the reading every night after my social events with families and friends in the day time. I am early to bed/early to rise type of person, but an interesting novel could really make me a night owl immediately, because I had to finish the book before I went back to work.

Anyway, my point is I admire you guys who are working and can still squeeze time out to join the book reading. I could not even do anything like attending YoYo meetings while I was working. So, as Rock said, “NO PRESSURE”!

Simple and Basic Rules
  • • Reading schedule: 4-6 weeks per book
    • Weekly progress chat
    • Final Discussion session (bring your questions for group discussion)
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

The fee is NT.3.5 in total, if you please.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

But I owe you a cup of coffee in the session, and I just remembered the Margarita..... :shock:
Rosie H
YOYO member
文章: 7
註冊時間: 週五 2月 06, 2015 11:02 am

文章 Rosie H »

Sounds good. No pressure on reading. I am in. :drink:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Welcome, Rosie. Now we have one more energetic young reader. :D
回覆文章