Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Nationalism vs. Globalism: The New Political Divide

文章 Iris Wu »

I found a recent TED interview session (TED Dialogue):
https://www.ted.com/talks/yuval_noah_ha ... cal_divide

Personally, I think the subject is very meaningful and relative to each of us. The interviewee, Yuval Noah Harari, is a historian/lecturer at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. His viewpoints are interesting to me. Since the interview was just finished this month, so the transcript is still in progress. I think it is great for us to work on as a project/assignment.

I think we can take 5 minutes each and write the transcript. If you want to join, just claim which five minutes you would like to work on.
I guess I’ll take the first five minutes, so
  • Iris: 1-5 minutes
    Rock: 55-60
    Kooper: 11-15
The whole interview is a bit more than 1 hour. There are plenty of time slots to claim! :)

Actually, we are interested in the discussion as well, so as usual, please feel free to summarize what you learn and make comments on this subject.
Welcome any suggestions to make it a "better" project!
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Nationalism vs. Globalism: The New Political Divide

文章 Luis Ko »

"I think we can take 5 minutes each and write the transcript."

it would still be badly challenging oh~ though it's only 5 minutes.. :ccry:

yeah, maybe we can do it after you guys finish your reading project haa~ :drink:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Hey, don't be lazy. Let me take the 55-60. Actually, I guess Iris just wants to share the fun. She can easily cover it all. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

The minutes 55-60 in the video

(Mr. Harari)
And we said, "OK, Getting control of the world outside us didn't really made us satisfied, let's now try to control the world inside us." This is really a big project, of science, and technology and industry. In the 21st century, we'll be trying to get control of the world inside us, to learn how to engineer and produce bodies and brains and minds. These are likely to be the main products of the 21st century economy. Then people think about the future, very often they think, "Oh, I want to get control of my body and my brain." And I think that's very dangerous. If you learn anything from previous history is that yes we gain the power to manipulate but because we didn't fully understand the complexity of the ecological system, we are now facing an ecological meltdown. and if we now try to reengineer the world inside us, without fully understanding it, especially without understanding the complexity of our mental system, we might cause a kind of internal ecological disaster. And we will face a kind of mental meltdown inside us.

(The host)
Putting all the pieces together here, the current politics, the coming technology, concerns like what you just outlined. But it seems like you and .???56:27..yours friends..quite a bleak place when you think about the future you're pretty worried about it. Is that right? And if there is one cause for hope how would you state that?

(Mr. Harari)
I focus on the more dangerous possibilities, possibly it's because it's like my job and responsibility as a historian and social critic. I mean the the the the industries focus mainly on the positive side, so it's the job of historians and philosophers and sociologists to highlight the most dangerous potential of all these new technologies. I don't think any of that is inevitable. Technology is never deterministic You can use the same technology to create very different kinds of societies if you look at the 20th century. So the technology of the industrial revolution, the trains and electricity and all that could be used to create a colonial dictatorship, or a Fascist regime or liberal democracy, the (57:20 ?? train is..you gonna tell it what to do with ....??) Similarly, no, artificial intelligence and bio-engineering and all that they don't predetermine a single outcome. Uh~~ humanity can rise up to the challenge, and the best example we have for humanity ???57:40 ?? rising up to the new technology is nuclear weapons. In the 19 late 40, 50s, many people were convinced that sooner or later the cold war would end in a nuclear catastrophe destroying civilization, and this did not happen. In fact, nuclear weapon prompted humans, all over the world, to change the way they managed international politics to reduce violence. And many countries basically took out war from their political toolkit. They no longer tried to pursue the interests, uh~~ with warfare. Not all countries had done so, but many countries had. And, this is maybe the most important reason why international violence declined dramatically since 1945. And today, as they said more people commit suicide than are killed in war. Uh, this I think give a good example that even the most frightening technology humans can rise up to the challenge and actually some good can come out of it. The problem is, we have very little knowledge in forero????? 58:59 If we don't get it right, we might not have a second option to try again.

(The host)
That's a very powerful note??? 59:08 I think we should follow this conclusion I want to talk to the people here and to the global tech community watching online, anyone watching online. Help us with these dialogues. If you believe like we do, that we need to find a different kinds of conversation, now more than ever, help us do it. You know, reach out to other people, try to have a conversation if you disagree with it. Understand them, pull the pieces together, and help us figure out how to take this conversation ????? 59:43 for we can have real contribution to what's happening in the world right now. I think everyone feel like, more concern, more engaged with the politics of the moment. The stakes do seem quite high. So, help us in response to it in a wise wise way. Yuval Noah Harari, thank you!! (Applause)
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Let me take 11:00~15:59.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

文章 Iris Wu »

Thank you, guys, for your response! I am so grateful and feel ashamed for so much behind the progress.
Here is my first five minutes transcript (I am sure there are mistakes to be corrected):

Transcript: (1:00 – 4:99)
Host: Hello, so welcome to this TED Dialogue, the first of a series of, (...what) we’ve done in response to the current political upheaval. I don’t know about you, I have become quite concerned about the growing divisiveness in this country and in the world. No one is listening to each other, right? They aren’t, but it feels like we need a different kind of conversation. (The) one that is based on, I don’t know, reason, listening, and understanding, on the broader context.
That is at least that we are gonna to try in the TED Dialogues, starting today. And we couldn’t have anyone with us who I'd be more excited to kick this off.
This is (...) right here (....) pretty much like no one else on the planet. (....Giggling) Seriously, he synthesizes history with underlined ideas, the way, kind of take your breath away.

So, some of you will know this book, “Sapiens”. Has anyone here read “Sapiens”? I mean I could not put it down the way that he tells the story of mankind through big ideas that really make you think differently. It’s kind of amazing and here is the follow-up, which I think It’s being published in US next week, “Homo Deus”. This is the history of next hundred years. I got chance to read it. It’s extremely dramatic and I dare to say for some people it’s quite alarming. It’s a must-read and honestly we couldn’t have someone better to help make sense of what ‘s happening in the world right now.

So a warm welcome, please, to Yuval Noah Harari! (Applause)

It’s great to be joined by our friends on Facebook around the web! Hello, Facebook! And, all of you, as I start asking questions of Yuval, come up with your own questions, and not necessarily about the political scandal du jour , but about the broader understand of: "Where are we heading?" Are you ready? Ok, we are gonna go. So, here we are.

Host: Yuvan, ???, 2017, this new president in power and shock waves (???) around the world. What on earth is happening?

Yuval: I think the basic thing happens is that we’ve lost our story. Human think in stories and we try to make sense of the world by telling stories. For the last few decades, we had very simple and very attractive story about what’s happening in the world. And the story said that, “Oh, what’s happening is that the economy is being globalized, politics is being liberalized, and the combination of the two will create paradise on earth and we just need to keep on globalizing the economy and liberalizing the political system and everything will be wonderful.”
And 2016 is the moment when a very large segment, even of the western world stopped believing in this story, for good or bad, it doesn’t matter, people stopped believing in the story. And when we don’t have story, you don’t understand what’s happening.

Host: Mmm… Part of you believe that the story was actually a very effective story, it was?

Yuval: To some extent, it was. According some measurement, we are in the best time ever for human kind. Today for the first time in history, more people die from eating too much than from eating too little which is an amazing achievement! (Laughing..) Also for the first time in history, more people die from old age than from infectious diseases, and violence is also down for the first time in history, more people commit suicide than are killed by crime, terrorism, and war put together. Statistically, you are your own worst enemy. At least from all people in the world, you are most likely to be killed by yourself which is again, a very good news compared to the level of violence with the previous eras.
回覆文章