回覆文章
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Host Meetings

文章 Iris Wu »

For new members and first time hosts, following resources may be helpful:
1) Tips and Suggestions for hosting (posted by Wayne in 2004, and amazingly, most of them are still valid)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=459
2) Technical tips for posting and editing articles in the forum
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2706
3) Forms needed (Following forms will be kept in the venue)
  • a. New comer basic information sheet
    b. New vocabulary/expression sheet
    c. Attendance Form
I'd like to reinforce a few more things on hosting a meeting:
1) Before the meeting/group discussion
  • a. Post the topic, articles/meeting contents at least a week before the meeting, if possible
    b. Print some copies of question list for attendees who don't get chance to do so before the meeting.
    c. Ask new comers to fill out basic information sheets for the Vice-President to follow up.
    d. Try to start the meeting on time. People will join the meeting when they can and the host can re-adjust the groups if necessary.
    e. Explain the concept of Error Correction (that is, don't be hesitate to capture errors or being corrected)
    (Please reference: “What is a Fossilized Error? – Error Correction”, see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3891)
    f. Explain the usage of New Vocabulary/Expression Form
    g. Explain the expectation of “new things learned” and “my takeaways” (the last 5 minutes before the end of the meeting, randomly select 3 people to talk about their new things learned and takeaways today)
2) During the group discussion
  • a. Encourage the collection of “Error Correction”, “New things learned/takeaways” in group discussion
3) After the Meeting
  • a. List the attendees and speakers in the forum
    b. Resolve the questions (new vocabulary/expressions) if possible, otherwise, notify the Host Leader.
    c. Summarize “error correction”, “new things learned” and “my takeaways” and post them in the forum if possible.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: Host Meetings

文章 Rock »

These are good suggestions for our hosts. We will definitely benefit more by doing so. :D

But, of course, if a host has his or her (or their?) own ideas, they can just do whatever they want. It's the privilege of a host, and it's written on the charters of Yoyo. :lol: So, don't feel any pressure being a host, please.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Steven mentioned that he sometimes feels not easy to find a good topic to host a meeting. It's true, after discussing so many different things for all these years, the world is not interesting anymore. :( :lol: I suggest that if our future hosts have difficulties finding good topics, they can review our log and pick an used topic. Some of our good old topics are still brand new for not-so-senior members, and some of our senior members have got senile dementia so they don't remember a thing. :mrgreen:

By the way, if anyone find any new interesting topics, please share with us on the forum. We can also work on the discussion questions together so the hosting won't be a burden.
Tina Sun
YOYO member
文章: 414
註冊時間: 週三 10月 02, 2013 3:23 pm

文章 Tina Sun »

Thank GOD that we have Rock and Iris in YOYO. :like: :like: :like: :like: :like:
Stacy Wang
YOYO member
文章: 38
註冊時間: 週一 7月 14, 2014 11:08 am

文章 Stacy Wang »

Iris did a great job!!
We try to make our English meeting more interesting and solid.
We wish being a host here would be an awesome experience for you, not just pressure :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's why we trying to provide the guides for the one who's going to be the first time host.
Wish they won't be nervous and have some thing to follow and prepare. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

OK, OK, I got it, Tina, it is great that YoYo has Rock and Iris, so it won't just go one direction!!! :)

Yes, those are suggestions only. Mainly, we just want to remind people to think their own efforts and take something tangible away after each YoYo meeting. But, true, there's always more than one way to skin a cat! No pressure on anyone! :)
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Hi, Iris,
Althought there's no pressure to follow rules, I do think your ideas are so great and I'll definitely give them a shot in my hosting. Reviewing vocabulary and error collection surely will benefit us much more than "just talk". Personally, I value every opportunity when people correct my mistakes; I would never figure them out without the help. Last time, Luis showed me that I'm not "impotent" but "incompentent"... :wink:
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

About Error Correction, it is absolutely a good way to improve our English. I would love to do it just like Rock. However, I suggest that we do it only at the summary of the meeting. If we do it during the discussion time, it may spoil our motivation of speaking English. We can also do error correction in this forum. I think error correction in writing is more important than in speaking.

If I correct your error, it doesn't mean my correction is always right. So please feel free to let me know if you think my correction is wrong. I would be much appreciated

OK, now I would like to take the lead in doing it

" don't be hesitate to capture errors or being corrected" => should be " don't hesitate to capture.........", because "hesitate" is a verb, not adjective ( of course, it may be just a typo)
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Great, Michael, I stand corrected – I meant to say, “don't be hesitant to capture errors....”!

As far as “Error Correction”, right, I think it is just a principle, a mindset. We all know it is not practical to capture and correct all the errors we made on the spot. What I was thinking and apparently did not communicate clearly is that:
Let's embrace the mindset of “error correction”, encourage everybody to listen more carefully and raise doubts more diligently when we hear something that we doubt their correctness, capture the questionable phrases, words and expressions used in the discussion and jot down in the “New Vocabulary/Expression” sheets. I don't mean we do it in the way to interrupt the discussion and spoil people's willingness of speaking. I meant to say we can use the tool that we've already had, New Vocabulary/Expression sheets, and no need to reinvent the wheel. The only thing we might want to improve is to make some efforts in listening more carefully, taking notes on questionable items and jot down the notes in the sheets, then, either present it in summary session or post-meeting research in anonymous fashion, nobody needs to feel offended or discouraged.

So, I think we are on the same page, right?
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

Sure, Iris, we are on the same page
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

I'm not on the same page as you guys are. It's more shocking, which turn out to be more effective, to be corrected on the spot. Please just correct my mistakes. NO mercy. :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

In principle, I think we all recognize “Fossilized Error” is an issue. I trust everyone has good judgment/can make best judgment calls, so just do what we think is right.
Kat said she is going to hold a couple boot camps to show us what she thinks we can do regarding Error Correction and others. Hope she finds time to do so before she leaves and we can go from there.
最後由 Iris Wu 於 週六 3月 21, 2015 7:09 am 編輯,總共編輯了 4 次。
Michael-liu
YOYO member

文章 Michael-liu »

Michael-liu 寫:About Error Correction, it is absolutely a good way to improve our English. I would love to do it just like Rock. However, I suggest that we do it only at the summary of the meeting. If we do it during the discussion time, it may spoil our motivation of speaking English. We can also do error correction in this forum. I think error correction in writing is more important than in speaking.

If I correct your error, it doesn't mean my correction is always right. So please feel free to let me know if you think my correction is wrong. I would be much appreciated
Hey, I just realized I made a big error myself!

I would be much appreciated=> should be "I would appreciate it very much" or "It would be much appreciated"

How come you guys did not notice and point out my error?

Anyway, Iris, we still can give it a try and encourage our members to do it.
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Now we are in trouble, when we don't see the errors, we need to feel "guilty". It's tough to be YoYo members!!! :)
回覆文章