回覆文章
頭像
Katrina
YOYO member
文章: 41
註冊時間: 週六 11月 13, 2004 9:01 pm

Did you MSN today?(5/30 Wed)

文章 Katrina »

Hello, it’s me. Katrina. I will be the host on May 30 to discuss MSN. We had this topic two years ago; nevertheless, as time goes by, the functions of MSN and the world have all changed a lot. I believe the old topic deserves a new discussion.

Communication software has changed our behaviors a lot because it has reduced the inconvenience caused by distance between people. Now we can reach friends who are far away from us, immediately and economically. As a result, the relationship should become closer. On the contrary and surprisingly, many friends are more familiar when communicating through the computers but become seemingly isolated when they are off the Internet. This may cause a new problem in the relationship, and we can discuss this phenomenon.

Speaking of one of the most famous software, Windows Live Messenger (MSN) is known to be a smart but also an annoying tool. We need it to reach others quickly in business and daily life, but we sometimes don’t want to be bothered by others on MSN. Therefore, there are various functions available that cater to the users’ needs, such as the “block” function, the “show off-line status” function, or the picture icon things, etc. Moreover, there are some rules or etiquettes that have come along with MSN. For example, you are not supposed to use the “shaking” function too often because it’s very annoying. These are all different from our past communication experience. Please read the instructions of MSN and the discussion about communication software before you come to the meeting if you are not familiar with this topic.

Instruction:
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-MSN-Messenger

Discussion:
http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1086697.aspx

Session 1

1. What kind of communication software have you ever tried? Which one is your favorite? Why?
2. How does communication software change your daily life or relationships? Do you like this kind of change?
3. Do you think the politeness of communication software is important? What kind of behaviors would you avoid or notice when you talk online?
Intermission

Session 2

4. What’s the best/most useless function of MSN you think? Why? (ex. block/delete people, group people, search, change others name, use icons to replace words, the orange flower to show somebody has updated his/her blog, messages to mobile, review the past conversation, Internet calling, on-line games, writing function etc.)
5. How do you create your unique identity on MSN? How do you make friends know “it’s you” on MSN?
6. You may have over a hundred people on your MSN contact list. You may spend over three hours on MSN a day. Do you have any special tips or ways to organize your MSN life?

====================================================

聚會時間:星期三 請準時7:00 pm 到 ~ 約9:00 pm 左右結束
聚會地點:加州陽光2F 台北市大安路一段84巷4號 02-27512955
捷運忠孝復興站(木柵線板南線樞紐,十分方便)
忠孝東路 SOGO 附近之永福樓對面Bistro 98大樓-->大安路-->米蘭.米藍(服飾店)-->第一條巷子右轉

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;討論完畢後可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想(feedback)。
2. 請事先閱討論主題相關內容以及host所提的問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 來之前請先讀一下在討論主題,思考一下如何回答及討論。
4. 在正式加入之前(繳交可退還之保證金NT$1,000),可以先來觀摩三次
我是一隻狸,樹上是我家 
 身隨食物飛,來去無牽掛
頭像
Lydia
文章: 639
註冊時間: 週二 1月 06, 2004 12:28 am
來自: 台北市

文章 Lydia »

I believe the old topic deserves a new discussion.
Yes, I agree !

From ICQ-->MSN-->SKYPE, they really change my communication model.
By way of them, my interpersonal connection become more and more active and convenient. Both advantageous and disadvantageous come together. If someone types slowly like me 8) , the slow response may bring uncomfortableness to the others.

Technology is getting better and better year after year, but is it making our life better off?

Welcome to join this meeting ! :P

Lydia
頭像
Henry_Wu
文章: 258
註冊時間: 週四 4月 12, 2007 1:23 pm

MSN topic

文章 Henry_Wu »

Dear all

we told about "傷心程式". If you have interests, you can use the keyword to search from the google. You can get a lot of information.

By the way, "MSN plus" can allow you to log onto the MSN in many accounts at the same time. :P

Today's topic is wonderful, isn't it? :P
頭像
Katrina
YOYO member
文章: 41
註冊時間: 週六 11月 13, 2004 9:01 pm

文章 Katrina »

Thanks for todays attendants.
You guys make the meeting perfect.

Host:Katrina
Attenants:Andy, Anthony, Chris, Daisy, Daniel Ka, Henry, James, Joshua, Kooper, Lisa, Lydia, Lynn, Richard Liu, Thomas, Wayne Chiang, Wayne Ni.
我是一隻狸,樹上是我家 
 身隨食物飛,來去無牽掛
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

Walk in to any Starbucks in Taipei and toss a rock in any direction, chances are you will hit somebody with a laptop chatting happily on MSN. (Do not actually test this hypothesis)

What can I tell you about MSN that you don't already know. Not a whole lot I am afraid. Words can be powerful or not, depends on who is doing the typing Text-chat is a method of communication that is very unnatural. The tell-tale signs of facial expressions and tone of voice often provide necessary clues and added context. However, text-chat due to its pure simplicity, one can often communicate even more fully due to the lack of distractions from twitching facial expressions that had known to provide misleading clues. Some people believe that eventually human will evolve into a more spiritual entity and then we don't need to communicate with words any more. Isn't that nice?

Words like violence
Break the silence
Come crashing in
Into my little world
Painful to me
Pierce right through me
Cant you understand
Oh my little girl

All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my arms
Words are very unnecessary
They can only do harm

Vows are spoken
To be broken
Feelings are intense
Words are trivial
Pleasures remain
So does the pain
Words are meaningless
And forgettable

All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my arms
Words are very unnecessary
They can only do harm

Enjoy the silence
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

Words and Expressions to Learn May 30 2007

animated:動畫的
CIO:(= chief information officer)資訊主管
CKO:(= chief knowledge officer)知識主管
emoticon:(= emotion + icon)情緒圖像
flash icon:動畫圖像
have the nerve:有勇氣
IT:(= information technology)資訊科技
messy:髒亂不整的
MIS:(= management information systems)資訊管理系統
shabby:衣衫襤褸的
sissy:娘娘腔的
衣衫不整:sloppily dressed
怪胎:geek;freak
面膜:facial mask
通舖:a wide bed
痞子:a slippery [flippant; shameless] person
詐騙集團:fraud ring
義工:volunteer
電信總局:The Directorate General of Telecommunications
爆竹:firecrackers
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

怪胎 is more like weirdo

怪"咖" = a quirky character

變態 = freak

話少的變態 = creep

nut case - A person regarded as eccentric or crazy.

basket case - In popular usage basket case refers to someone in a hopeless mental condition, but in origin it had a physical meaning. In the grim slang of the British army during World War I, it referred to a quadruple amputee. This is one of several expressions that first became popular in World War I, or that entered American army slang from British English at that time.

Jesus Freak - A member of a movement among young Christians adapting traditional evangelicalism to pop culture

Freak of Nature - A thing or occurrence that is markedly unusual or irregular

Freak Accident - Highly unusual or irregular type of accident

Why does the singer of this song look and act like David Jr?

圖檔
頭像
Wayne

文章 Wayne »

technobabel 寫:怪胎 is more like weirdo

變態 = freak

話少的變態 = creep
In Chinese, 怪胎 and 怪"咖" can mean exactly the same thing.

In some cases, freak can mean 怪"咖", for example, when it refers to a student who is exceptionally profiecient in a subject.

creep: doesn't necessarily implies 話少的 nor 怪胎
1. an unpleasant person person [Jonathon Green: Cassell's Slang Dictionary]
2. a despicable person [David Burke: Bleep! A Guide to American Obscenities]
3. an objectable or unpleasant person; a dull, insignifant, unwanted person [Eric Partridege: A Dictionary of Sland and Unconventional English, 8th edition]
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

Wayne 寫:
technobabel 寫:怪胎 is more like weirdo

變態 = freak

話少的變態 = creep
In Chinese, 怪胎 and 怪"咖" can mean exactly the same thing.

In some cases, freak can mean 怪"咖", for example, when it refers to a student who is exceptionally profiecient in a subject.

creep: doesn't necessarily implies 話少的 nor 怪胎
1. an unpleasant person person [Jonathon Green: Cassell's Slang Dictionary]
2. a despicable person [David Burke: Bleep! A Guide to American Obscenities]
3. an objectable or unpleasant person; a dull, insignifant, unwanted person [Eric Partridege: A Dictionary of Sland and Unconventional English, 8th edition]
The definitions of these words can be overlapping and highly personalized. That is to say, a creep can make a freak look like a weirdo. Also, odd behaviors come in so many flavors, even a perfectly normal person can be creepy when put in a certain perspective. In the western society, strange behaviors are more tolerated. A creep does has the potential to be "despicable" or "unpleasant", but that is only a judgement call.
頭像
Wayne

文章 Wayne »

The definitions of these words can be overlapping and highly personalized. That is to say, a creep can make a freak look like a weirdo. Also, odd behaviors come in so many flavors, even a perfectly normal person can be creepy when put in a certain perspective. In the western society, strange behaviors are more tolerated. A creep does has the potential to be "despicable" or "unpleasant", but that is only a judgement call.
A creep may be quiet OR talktive. When you say "話少的變態 = creep", it has such character -- that is, he can't be talkative, and it is a freak but it doesn't have to be a freak based on the references. Also, he doesn't have to be quiet. In fact, a creep may not be a freak. In the sense of Chinese, a 變態 implies abnormality but a 怪胎 implies difference from others.

Similary, when you are making the distinguishment between 怪胎 and 怪"咖" , you are suggesting they are different rather than overlapping.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Another word of 娘娘腔的: effeminate
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member

文章 technobabel »

Wayne 寫:
A creep may be quiet OR talktive. When you say "話少的變態 = creep", it has such character -- that is, he can't be talkative, and it is a freak but it doesn't have to be a freak based on the references. Also, he doesn't have to be quiet. In fact, a creep may not be a freak. In the sense of Chinese, a 變態 implies abnormality but a 怪胎 implies difference from others.

Similary, when you are making the distinguishment between 怪胎 and 怪"咖" , you are suggesting they are different rather than overlapping.
My opinions and definitions are by no means authoritative. Do realize all definitions are provided as is. Feel free to disagree. The last thing I want is to impose my definitions on anybody. I have witness the usages of the word "creep" in both movies and in real life. Consequentially those "creeps" happens to be verbally non-interactive and kept to themselves.

I did not make an explicit distinction between 怪胎 and 怪"咖" I merely gave two similar English equivalents for each. Those wordings aren't that different. However, under normal circumstances there is no need to make any distinction between them, but if you must. One can surely argue that quirkiness in 怪胎 is more innate and idiosyncratic tendencies in 怪"咖" are more likely to be an acquired trait.
頭像
Wayne

文章 Wayne »

One can surely argue that quirkiness in 怪胎 is more innate and idiosyncratic tendencies in 怪"咖" are more likely to be an acquired trait.
I'll take it with a grain of salt but leave it to the readers with their discretion.
回覆文章