Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Active members?

文章 Rock »

Now we are prosperous enough. Please join us anytime. :lol: :lol:
最後由 Rock 於 週日 6月 07, 2009 12:47 am 編輯,總共編輯了 4 次。
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

Re: Active members?

文章 Rock »

Wayne and other good people show up a lot in the forum. They are supposed to be very active members.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Rock 寫:Yoyo boasts a severn-year-old history and many elite members from all walks of life, but I seldom see any of them show up in our gatherings.
A good expression. You can also find it in below posts:

http://122.116.234.216/forum/viewtopic. ... ife#p10535

http://122.116.234.216/forum/viewtopic. ... ife#p11744
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
文章: 1383
註冊時間: 週日 7月 27, 2008 8:26 pm
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Rock 寫:I've joined this club for one year. Although I only join Wednesday's meetings, I am still lucky to know a lot of friends from Yoyo. However, one thing always puzzles me: where are all those senior members?
Yoyo boasts a severn-year-old history and many elite members from all walks of life, but I seldom see any of them show up in our gatherings. Where are all those people? This is an English club, and people join it for practicing English. If they always don't show up, I wonder what is the meaning of this club for them.
So they say there are active members and inactive members in Yoyo. What's the definition of them? Do they share the same rights and obligations?
Rock さん,

"where are all those senior members?"
Well...I think maybe you will know the answer in 2 or 3 years later.
(To me maybe plus one more year!!)
當我們夠"老"時! :lol:

From Toshi 吧!
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

There are more than a few reasons why veteran members fails to show up.

1. The topics and the style of the topics are too youth oriented.

2. The topics gets recycled too many times and there is no breakthrough in scope of learning.

3. Veteran members don't want to bump into their ex-boyfriends or girlfriends, that would be awkward as you can imagine.

4. Bumping to the ex-boyfriend or girlfriends of your best friend is also no-fun.

5. Veteran members are not greedy, the last thing they want is learn too much.

6. Everybody over-expect veteran members to speak more fluently and that isn't always easy to live up to.

7. Veteran members politely knows how to make way for new batch of new comers that are just more talented.

8. Many veteran members have the ancient loyal notion of refusing to serve two different leaders.

9. To avoid to many veteran members from showing up all at once, there is an well designed quota system at work.

10. Useful things that veteran members learn from Yoyo English Club had already propelled them into a career path that is so successful that they refuse to come back to Yoyo and tell everybody about it.
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
Bill Yu
YOYO member
文章: 129
註冊時間: 週六 10月 06, 2007 9:02 pm
來自: Earth

文章 Bill Yu »

"where are all those senior members?"

I give you some answers.

1.People are too busy.
They have to work harder than before.
They have to work on weekend.
They have no time.

2. They get married.

3. They forget yoyo club because they're busy.

4.They work overseas.

5.They go back to school and want to get master degree.

6.They have other ways to practice English.

7. English club meeting topic are often similar.
travel, food, love, marriage,...
We feel bored when we have the same topic every time.

資深的會員沒有常出現: 這很正常, 我想大多數人都無法長期來參加meeting
同樣的話題一再出現, 很難保持熱情, 我當過 host 2次, 要找不同話題並不容易
因為要考慮每個人的興趣, 如果找太難的題目, 又怕參加的人太少
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1483
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Hi Rock,

Supposedly you are asking comments from the active members. Inactive members would not answer you since your post might not even have a chance to reach them.

I used to hope that more senior members would show up in our regular meetings, but I finally realized that, while it takes at least several reasons to stick to a club or to attend to the gatherings regularly, you simply need no reason to be absent.

It is easy to blame others. Then what about ourselves? Will we be "active members" forever? No, I know I won't. I cannot promise the future. What I have is the very moment. However, we just meet the right people in the right time and the right place, don't we?

Studying is somehow emotional. I am delighted to study with so many people who are considerate, smart, industrious, and having a passion for studying. The past attendants may be elite people, but for me, the present attendants are just as good.

Years later, when my kids are old enough to understand, I shall be proud to tell them that I have ever join the best club, and have met the best people there!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

To Toshi 吧,
That's true. You are too young to be a senior. But, are you really sure two or three years would be enough for you to be old?

To Wayne,
You are so humorous. I almost laughed my head off for those good reasons you provided. Just one question--- Is that "avoid bumping into someone else" explains your situation?

To Bill,
If you got married, please be sure to show up in the club, and bring your wife, too. :lol:

To Sherry,
I agree. We cannot be active forever. Maybe I will be hit by a car and be "inactive" in everything later. Who knows? :(
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

i don't think active and inactive would be the issue because we might all be inactive one day, and be active the other day. and actually, i don't really know the right and the obligation stuff neither. but, one thing for sure is i might do something i can do for the club or have some opinions on it's matters as long as i still join it often, and vice versa lo, haaa. :sun:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

If you are not comfortable of being an "active" member, there are more than few other options.

1. Preemptive

2. Proactive

3. Reactive

4. Passive

5. Semi-responsive

6. Inert

7. Inhibitive

8. Disruptive (constructively, of course)

9. Inquisitive

10. Barely able to fog a mirror
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Rock 寫:To Toshi 吧,
That's true. You are too young to be a senior. But, are you really sure two or three years would be enough for you to be old?

Well...大人說...還沒結婚的都是小孩
So, I am not sure if I will be old enough after two or three years later. :lol:
hmm...at least I will try to keep my heart young.

oho...So...the conclusion is...probably I will never know the answer???
oops...
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
sandycollie
文章: 1
註冊時間: 週五 6月 05, 2009 7:05 pm

文章 sandycollie »

I've just joined this club.
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

sandycollie 寫:I've just joined this club.
Hi Sandy,

Welcome join our meeting too! ^_^

Toshi
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
回覆文章