回覆文章
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2161
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

bookworm studying group

文章 Rock »

Georgia mentioned she wants to study English much much harder than now. Maybe we can form a subgroup under the big Yoyo club. Maybe some of us who are not good at outing but only crazy about improving our English can have some special deals of ourselves. I have some suggestions.

1. Bookworms should be open to correction
Usually we don't correct people's errors in a conversation or speech because it's not polite and will embarrass the speaker. But if we are not corrected, we will never know where our problems are. So I think the bookworms should take the pain and correct each others in public.

2. Bookworm essay contest
Writing is not our strong point and few of us get enough chances to practice our writing skills. Maybe we can held writing contests on the forum from time to time. We can even provide free coffee as a reward for the winner! The details can be discussed and arranged by bookworms later.

3. Paper test
The most efficient and exciting way to improve our reading comprehension and vocabulary. We can choose some reading materials or even buy a book with tests inside. Arrange a time, give every bookworm a test paper and see if the inhumane examinations can kill some worms.

4. Other ideas?
Your turn. :lol:
最後由 Rock 於 週四 9月 25, 2008 11:18 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Georgia
YOYO member
文章: 480
註冊時間: 週三 11月 07, 2007 11:49 pm

Re: bookworm studying group

文章 Georgia »

Actually I was planning to organize a small study group under the table because passion and faith is not enough for whoever joins the group. The ability to give forward your knowledge in English, such as grammar, usage of words, terms of expressions, is a must. One should be able to correct another's mistakes if made, which means everyone is a teacher/student. There shall be a perfect balance between give and take. One cannot expect others to teach him all the time; there's no free-rider in this case.

That's my ideal study group. It's not for fun, and indeed it has nothing to do with making new friends. I'd still go to YOYO's Wednesday meetings, since that's a different way of practicing.

Anyway, never mind.....

Rock you windbag. = =
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

A windbag? So I can make a fire bigger?
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Georgia
YOYO member

文章 Georgia »

nah.... windbag is too harsh...

hmmm

blabbermouth.... 噗~
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Bro, you totally got egg on your face this time! :mrgreen:

(Oh no.. now it's my turn to run for my life... )
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Being a windbag or blabbermouth or egged face is not really a big deal to me. I love those things. You know, I can always use them on somebody named Luis to have fun next time. So exciting!!! :lol:
You can run, you can hide, but I will find you in the end. :evil:
Georgia
YOYO member

文章 Georgia »

Rock 寫:Being a windbag or blabbermouth or egged face is not really a big deal to me. I love those things. You know, I can always use them on somebody named Luis to have fun next time. So exciting!!! :lol:
You can run, you can hide, but I will find you in the end. :evil:
eggs in the face

Play nice, boys and girls.
:sun:
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

get/have egg on one's face 出醜 丟臉 蒙羞
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1482
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Actually forming studying group is a great idea. We will have a lot of fun! (If only there is no exams...)

Oh, Rock my big brother, please forgive me! I didn't mean it... I must have been on something...
Georgia help! how can you just sit by and watch?
Georgia
YOYO member

文章 Georgia »

Well, there will be a sort of exam, such as preparing a speech in 10 minutes, compositions... it was originally Rock's idea, some people find it rather challenging. I might call this group "Crazy English Organization" (CEO)........

nah I don't want to get into the middle of you guys la hohohoho
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Rock 寫:Georgia mentioned she wants to study English much much harder than now. Maybe we can form a subgroup under the big Yoyo club. Maybe some of us who are not good at outing but only crazy about improving our English can have some special deals of ourselves. I have some suggestions.

1. Bookworms should be open to correction
Usually we don't correct people's errors in a conversation or speech because it's not polite and will embarrass the speaker. But if we are not corrected, we will never know where our problems are. So I think the bookworms should take the pain and correct each others in public.
I think it is a good chance to use "bite the bullet" in the last sentence. Sentence will look like this - So I think the bookworms should bite the bullet and correct each others in public.

Do you agree or disagree my usage?
頭像
Rock
YOYO member

文章 Rock »

Agree. It's kind of creepy, though.
Georgia
YOYO member

文章 Georgia »

hmmmm... I think that's a weird usage... not creepy...... calling that "creepy" is another weird usage to describe something awkward or unnatural haha...........
I'll remember to ask my lovely l/e partner on Monday :)
回覆文章