TGIF

Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1483
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

TGIF

文章 Sherry Liao »

Last evening, when I was about to call it a day, a coworker approached to say goodbye. I smiled at her and replied "TGIF", and then found she looked totally in the dark. Well... I was kind of embarrassed and decided to correct myself: "Have a nice weekend!". Later, I asked another colleague if she knew what "TGIF" meant. She gave me a positive answer and told me she just heard it in an English TV program lately.

What a relief...... These days I am literally in very low spirits when it comes to English. I don't know what's wrong with me! I feel uneasy when using English and am frightened if I detect a hesitancy from others.

Seems like I have lost confidence in myself. I really want to do any thing I can to get rid of this feeling or I cannot keep my study going on! :sorrow:

Just recalled a joke I heard about "TGIF". Here is a version from the internet I just found out:
http://www.lifesabirch.org/humour/tgif.php
T-G-I-F vs S-H-I-T
A business man got on an elevator.
When he entered, there was a blonde already inside who greeted him with a bright, "T-G-I-F."
He smiled at her and replied, "S-H-I-T."
She looked puzzled and repeated, "T-G-I-F," more slowly.
He again answered, "S-H-I-T."
The blonde was trying to keep it friendly, so she smiled her biggest smile,and said as sweetly as possibly, "T-G-I-F."
The man smiled back to her and once again, "S-H-I-T."
The exasperated blonde finally decided to explain. "'T-G-I-F' means Thank Goodness It's Friday. Get it, duuhhh?"
The man answered, "'S-H-I-T' means 'Sorry, Honey, It's Thursday.'"
Bill Yu
YOYO member
文章: 129
註冊時間: 週六 10月 06, 2007 9:02 pm
來自: Earth

Re: TGIF

文章 Bill Yu »

Seems like I have lost confidence in myself. I really want to do any thing I can to get rid of this feeling or I cannot keep my study going on
hello , sherry
Are you okay? Do you have much pressure?
Don't worry about your English.
Your English is better than most Taiwanese.
No one is perfect.
We don't need pressure when we speak English.

Speak English in spite of embarrassed or frightened.
You'll improve your English.
I am confident at you.
Jooooooey
YOYO member
文章: 27
註冊時間: 週一 11月 10, 2008 2:10 pm

文章 Jooooooey »

Bill Yu 寫:
Seems like I have lost confidence in myself. I really want to do any thing I can to get rid of this feeling or I cannot keep my study going on
hello , sherry
Are you okay? Do you have much pressure?
Don't worry about your English.
Your English is better than most Taiwanese.
No one is perfect.
We don't need pressure when we speak English.

Speak English in spite of embarrassed or frightened.
You'll improve your English.
I am confident at you.

I can't agree more with Bill. Undoubtedly, you speak and write in fluent English, and you are also one of most capable learners among us, as everyone knows, you are so industrious and really enjoying learning, aren't you? I am confident to say that you will move on to a better circumstance after you pass form low mood to a jovial personality you have been had. :ssmile:

As for those whose reluctance in conversions with you,I think that the problem probably is not about what you said might be wrong, is about they were not that good to understand what you talked about. That is another reason you should be confident when you're using a foreign language, haha.... :ok:
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Sherry Liao 寫: Seems like I have lost confidence in myself. I really want to do any thing I can to get rid of this feeling or I cannot keep my study going on! :sorrow:
Any thing or anything? Is that a typo or a bug? If it's a bug, then it deserves NT.10, right? :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
toshi
YOYO member
文章: 1383
註冊時間: 週日 7月 27, 2008 8:26 pm
聯繫:

文章 toshi »

Take it easy Sherry! ^_^
No big deal!
What do you care what other people think? :lol:
隨你所喜
或酒、或詩、或是喜!
stephen185
YOYO member
文章: 206
註冊時間: 週三 5月 30, 2007 8:23 pm

文章 stephen185 »

Dear Sherry,

There are two ways you can choose to cope with your situation.
1. Study English even harder, so you can be 100% correctly in using this language.
2. Life is already tough enough, give yourself a break and forget about the first idea. Be a cheery sherry!

I often tell myself that "Don't be afraid of speaking English at all. You are way much better than 99.9% of all the foreigners when compared with how they know about Chinese".
A ridiculous idea? Yes. Sounds absurd? Definitely.
But you know what? That's why I didn't hang myself when making mistakes in using English.

Stephen
頭像
Jacky566
YOYO member
文章: 136
註冊時間: 週二 5月 27, 2008 4:44 pm
聯繫:

文章 Jacky566 »

Dear Sherry ,

I still remember my english teacher in junior high school had told me there is no grammer in all kind of languages. Language is just used to communicate with other. If others can usderstand what you are saying, the sentence is correct. If others don't understand, what you
should do is using another way to say it again.

It is like that someday we say a chinese "俚語" , but no one don't understand . What will we
do ? Just explain the "俚語" to them.

So don't worry about your english.
This situation just mean that your english is much better than others. :sun:
頭像
Leon
YOYO member
文章: 256
註冊時間: 週日 5月 30, 2004 9:55 am

文章 Leon »

stephen185 寫: I often tell myself that "Don't be afraid of speaking English at all. You are way much better than 99.9% of all the foreigners when compared with how they know about Chinese".
A ridiculous idea? Yes. Sounds absurd? Definitely.
But you know what? That's why I didn't hang myself when making mistakes in using English.

Stephen
It did happen in my life.
Few years ago, my boss said "Hey Leon, you should improve your English. However, your Chinese is much better than mine".

I think it is a good idea to keep it in mind.
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Thank you for all your reassuring words. That's really sweet and warm.

I am not only a cheery Sherry, but a cheeky Sherry. Haha.. :lol:
So don't worry about me. I will get over it. :wink:
Sherry Liao
YOYO member

文章 Sherry Liao »

Rock 寫:
Sherry Liao 寫: Seems like I have lost confidence in myself. I really want to do any thing I can to get rid of this feeling or I cannot keep my study going on! :sorrow:
Any thing or anything? Is that a typo or a bug? If it's a bug, then it deserves NT.10, right? :lol:
That' a typo... :listen: ... Okay okay, I admit that it was a bug. :sickness:
So who should I pay the money to? :ultra:
stephen185
YOYO member
文章: 206
註冊時間: 週三 5月 30, 2007 8:23 pm

文章 stephen185 »

Sherry Liao 寫:Thank you for all your reassuring words. That's really sweet and warm.

I am not only a cheery Sherry, but a cheeky Sherry. Haha.. :lol:
So don't worry about me. I will get over it. :wink:
Nothing personal, Just about word usage.
Is "cheeky" some kind of shameless in an "innocent" way?
Just like "chubby" for "fat"?
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

Sherry, maybe my words come too late, but what I want to say is “Enjoy your low spirit, allow yourself to be a different Sherry for a while . ”
Whenever I have this kind of feeling mentally or physically, I just told myself stay at this situation with ease because it will end at last. Just feel calm with it and try to perceive, feel and remember your feeling, your emotion and your thought.When you finally go through it , you ‘ll find you are a happier and more confident Sherry, and you cherish what you are even more.
:)
頭像
Gloria Lo
YOYO member
文章: 367
註冊時間: 週一 2月 04, 2008 7:51 am

文章 Gloria Lo »

Any thing or anything? Is that a typo or a bug? If it's a bug, then it deserves NT.10, right? :lol: [/quote]

Rock, you are a real character. I don't know what to say.
頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

文章 chiron »

I think the problem is due to the commonness of the usage. I have to admit that I don't know what TGIF stands for until you explain it. Even though in Chinese, we won't use some usages in daily life but literature or writing. We Taiwaneses could not help keeping commiting errors of the so-called Chinese-styled English no matter how hard we try. We are in this culture, not American culture. Even we think that usage appears very often in this culture, it may not be common in another culter though the literal meaning is exactly the same (especially for spoken English, ex: "your mom" means different in both cultures). That's why I still can tell the difference between the writings from Chinese and American.
最後由 chiron 於 週三 12月 17, 2008 1:08 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
Please call me Na'vi!
頭像
chiron
YOYO member
文章: 520
註冊時間: 週三 10月 03, 2007 4:23 pm

文章 chiron »

Sherry Liao 寫:
Rock 寫:
That' a typo... :listen: ... Okay okay, I admit that it was a bug. :sickness:
So who should I pay the money to? :ultra:
Consider me.
Please call me Na'vi!
回覆文章