頭像
CarmenTao
YOYO member
文章: 94
註冊時間: 週四 6月 19, 2008 9:51 am
來自: 內湖

Your parents & your relationship

文章 CarmenTao »

If your parents did/do not approve of your bf or gf, what would/will you do? This has kept happening to my friend. Her mom has never been satisfied with any of her boyfriends in her history. Let me count how many boyfriend she has had…..hmm….countless, but none of them have been approved of by her parents. She had her own problems being with those guys, honestly speaking. Anyway, she started dating one guy since 2/15 this year and just broke up with him last week. Her mother did not say anything when they were dating until yesterday. Her mom said she was so happy that they had broken up because they were both born in the year of Dragon, and it was no good to my friend in all aspects. Well, it was religion-wise again. Anyway, what will you do if your parents do not approve of your relationship? My friend is 33 years now. She is losing her advantages by aging no matter how beautiful she is.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: Your parents & your relationship

文章 Rock »

Is she still living with her parents? If so, then maybe she should move out to get away from the influence of the family. Thirty-three years old? She should have been independent and made decisions on her own.

Hey, Carmen. Long time no see. How's your exams? I finished mine, and they announced the result today. I am the first runner-up. Shoot, that's good for nothing. :x
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
頭像
CarmenTao
YOYO member
文章: 94
註冊時間: 週四 6月 19, 2008 9:51 am
來自: 內湖

文章 CarmenTao »

Rock 寫:Is she still living with her parents? If so, then maybe she should move out to get away from the influence of the family. Thirty-three years old? She should have been independent and made decisions on her own.

Hey, Carmen. Long time no see. How's your exams? I finished mine, and they announced the result today. I am the first runner-up. Shoot, that's good for nothing. :x
Living with her parents? - a tricky question. They live in different building but close to each other. She maintains an independent life largely. She just cares too much about how her parents think 'cause she loves her parents very much. I think that's why she always turns her relationship underground. :mrgreen:

What exam? It sounds nothing like TOEFL. What's that?

Later.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

In a way, spouse selection is a lot like comparison shopping, if you will.
An okay product will look like a bargain in the presence of other products of lower quality.
With that in mind, just bring home somebody to lower the parent's expectation.
You may need to do this more than a few times.
Once that has been accomplished, your chance of getting an approval will no doubt improve exponentially.

Here is a song about overprotective/overbearing parent:

I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Essentially, I see no problem in this circumstance. The daughter loves her parents, and the parents need their daughter. That's a perfect parent-daughter relationship.

Maybe your friend wants to enjoy a relationship and to keep a close family relationship at the same time. If that is the case, I think maybe she should try to convince her parents that they will absolutely not lose her even after she gets married.

That could be possible. Nowadays more and more women have a close relationship with their parents' family after married.

I still remember that in my wedding (many many years ago), my dad was heartbroken while my mom looked really happy and proud. I don't know why she was so happy. Maybe she thought she finally got rid of me by marrying me off. Regrettably, she was wrong.
頭像
technobabel
YOYO member
文章: 1188
註冊時間: 週六 5月 14, 2005 8:42 pm
來自: Eastern Seaboard

文章 technobabel »

Sherry Liao 寫:Essentially, I see no problem in this circumstance. The daughter loves her parents, and the parents need their daughter. That's a perfect parent-daughter relationship.
Question:
More often than not, the parents will always have their daughter's best interest in mind, but why does a seemingly perfect parent-daughter relationship quickly deteriorates in the event of parent's disapproval of daughter's choice of marriage partner?

Answer:
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

圖檔
I am not abandoning Yoyo, I am just dancing slowly away from it.
回覆文章